8 Pin CPU to GPU

Associate
Hi all,

I've read some conflicting information about using the CPU4+4 output on my PSU for GPU connection.

Does anyone know if its possible to use a PCI-E 8 Pin cable to connect a GPU on the 8 pin port marked "CPU" on the PSU? I have used all of the GPU ports and would like to connect another GPU in the future.

PSU:
SuperFlower 850W Leadex Titanium PSU

Thanks!

Associate
No, even if the pinout was the same, the gpu cables at the PSU end won't fit into the cpu slot, the pins are shaped differently from what I can see, which is probably because the pinout isn't the same, and I wouldn't want to try to get an adaptor either, it's just not worth the risk.

Is the CPU slot even empty on the PSU? I would have thought the 8 pin CPU connector is required to be connected to the motherboard anyway?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
No, even if the pinout was the same, the gpu cables at the PSU end won't fit into the cpu slot, the pins are shaped differently from what I can see, which is probably because the pinout isn't the same, and I wouldn't want to try to get an adaptor either, it's just not worth the risk.

Is the CPU slot even empty on the PSU? I would have thought the 8 pin CPU connector is required to be connected to the motherboard anyway?
Thanks for your reply, the PSU has 2 x CPU outputs, 1 is in use obviously and the other is spare.

Associate
Ah, that makes sense, I didn't see that in the picture.

You can get adaptors to convert the motherboard end of the 8pin cpu cable to 1x or 2x 8pin PCIE connectors, but I'm a bit wary of using those for high power stuff. 2x 8pin pcie cables would be rated for more current than a single 8 pin cpu cable could carry as well, so any adaptor that does that could be considered a bit dodgy just for doing that. It might be fine, but I personally wouldn't risk it.
I can't see any for sale on any reputable sites really either, just ebay and a few smaller places, so make of that what you will.

Soldato
On both of my Corsair RM PSU you can plug either CPU or PCI into the slots on the PSU itself. So the pinout at that end is the same, its not at the other end though according to my Gamers Nexus desk mat

IMG-2296.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks, I opted to buy a new PSU in the end with some extra GPU ports. I'd rather not risk it with components being so expensive. Shame to have to go from Titanium PSu to Gold though but needs must.

Associate
I would not even consider SATA > PCIe
HDDs even the mechanical ones consume very little power, infact the SATA connector is rated 1.5A per 12v pin (there are 3)

Back
Top Bottom