• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are people getting GPU's ?

Associate
Well, Scalping should become illegal in May, I beleive, whether this is going to be enforcable is another matter. It's looking like it will still be legal to bot buy stuff as long as you don't resell, and you can still resell as long as you didn't bot buy...

Sometime in 2022-2023 there's also going to be chips manufactured in the USA, the construction has already started. So, the issue with buying chips should disappear anyways at that point. Especially if the coronavirus restrictions aren't around by then.

Lastly, with all this, there's also the likely probability of the crypto market crashing again at some point, which will lead to an abundance of 2nd hand gpu.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, Scalping should become illegal in May, I beleive, whether this is going to be enforcable is another matter. It's looking like it will still be legal to bot buy stuff as long as you don't resell though.

Sometime in 2022 there's also going to be chips manufactured in the USA, the constuction has already started. So, the issue with buying chips should disappear anyways at that point. Especially if the coronavirus restrictions aren't around by then.

Got a link for that? Intrigued as to how it's defined.

Associate
Can't say I do, the tittle for the bill is "the Game Hardware (Automated Purchase and Resale) Bill 2019-21" which is still in descussion at the moment. The predicted date was in May for the final preceedings, It will be like the ticket touting bill. I also should emphasize its more my wishful thinking that it will go through...

Associate
I doubt it, maybe with DLSS, but it's hard enough to run without ray tracing on.

cyberpunk with raytracing on? ... can you really run that with a 2060s or a 3060? I know with amd it was recently suggested dont even bother even with a 6900xt.

2060 - yes, but with appropriate expectations. I ran it with RT on when not in combat and it was great. I've recently got a 6700XT and first impressions are that it's worse, just because having RT on chugs more.

I can probably tweak it a bit though.

Associate
I was lucky I got my 3070 when they had them under the 3d printer part of the site, I'm super glad I bought it when I did as it's looking like it's only going to get harder to get cards now.

Associate
Can’t platforms such as eBay do more to stop scalpers? Perhaps by flagging and investigating accounts that fit the profile?

All Ebay are worried about is what they can make out of sales, they don't care how they get their commission without putting any effort in themselves

Man of Honour
Having seen how few high end GPUs OcUK are receiving the real question is where are they all going?

If the answer is AMD, NVidia or any of the AIB partners are selling direct to mining farms I don't think this is ethical or fair.

Scalpers are not very nice people but they can only buy up the few cards that retailers like OcUK receive.

Where are the rest of the cards going and why are national governments not stepping in?

Permabanned
So my little cousin is in uni and he's doing computer science, 1 of the things he's doing is particle and fluid dynamics/simulations, I couldn't tell you specifics I just know it looked hella complicated, Anyway he had built himself a computer with the little he managed to save up and was missing a GPU and the things he's doing would be immensely helped by having a GPU, This wasn't him saying it, I got in touch with a professor at his uni and he said a GPU is pretty invaluable for getting these things done in a timely manner, Considering this is his future he's dealing with I donated my own GPU to my little cousin, My 2080 Ti, It's my only GPU but I figure his future is more important than me being able to play video games.

So now I'm on a tablet with wireless keyboard, Slight downgrade XD

Got me thinking though, How are people ordering GPU's though OCUK ? Is there a pre-order function in place or something ? I have money ready to go but I'm not going to be looking to the scumbag scalpers or anyone that price gouges.

I consider you really lucky, my family hate each other.

I agree on this. It would be nice to have a queue system no matter what the length of wait is. I don't have the time ( well more accurately I don't have the patience ) to spend half my day trying to type faster to get an order. Apart from obscene scalper prices I literally have not seen a card for sale since they first appeared. I would like to be able to put my name down and just get an email through in X months time, we have the following available. Honestly I think the stores just don't care. Why should they make and effort. But I wish they would.

Soldato
I said this in a couple of forums now, I think scalping is the much bigger issue than miners.

Its either going to need the industry working together to kill it or legislation.

Permabanned
I said this in a couple of forums now, I think scalping is the much bigger issue than miners.

Its either going to need the industry working together to kill it or legislation.

I agree here, scapling is what has caused the lack of affordable gpus. Plus retailers are stockpiling gpus for their marketing gain.

There is stock ! Just go on said auction sites and you can buy 3 series gpus all day long at scapled prices. Even retailers are scapling.

That's why you can't get a gpu for MSRP.

All Ebay are worried about is what they can make out of sales, they don't care how they get their commission without putting any effort in themselves

I agree, these sites are only concerned with their % of the sale. They have made increased profit during lockdown.

Well, Scalping should become illegal in May, I beleive, whether this is going to be enforcable is another matter. It's looking like it will still be legal to bot buy stuff as long as you don't resell, and you can still resell as long as you didn't bot buy...

Sometime in 2022-2023 there's also going to be chips manufactured in the USA, the construction has already started. So, the issue with buying chips should disappear anyways at that point. Especially if the coronavirus restrictions aren't around by then.

Lastly, with all this, there's also the likely probability of the crypto market crashing again at some point, which will lead to an abundance of 2nd hand gpu.

OP! This is impossible to enforce. Scapling will continue.

What's looking grim is that prices of next gen gpus will likely be very high as Nvidia and AMD are seeing customers paying 3 to 4 times msrp, so greed will set in.

Yes, but the industry are benefitting from scapling. Their products are in very high demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour

I am not sure Scalping is anything like on the same scale as mining.

Scalpers can only grab cards that are for retail.

If you look at what OcUK have had arriving lately for high end 3XXX cards it is very little indeed.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ries-how-to-cancel-your-order.18899277/page-8

Where are all the GPUs going because they are not reaching retailers?

Soldato
OP
I agree here, scapling is what has caused the lack of affordable gpus. Plus retailers are stockpiling gpus for their marketing gain.

There is stock ! Just go on said auction sites and you can buy 3 series gpus all day long at scapled prices. Even retailers are scapling.

That's why you can't get a gpu for MSRP.

1 of my ex work mates got a 3080 and 3090 from OCUK, Went straight up on ebay for ridiculous prices, Obviously OCUK didn't know this would happen as they aren't psychic but it is ridiculous.

If you look at what OcUK have had arriving lately for high end 3XXX cards it is very little indeed.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...ries-how-to-cancel-your-order.18899277/page-8

I'd love to know too, I'm not going to insinuate that something shady is going on but the fact that online retailers sell out within literal seconds sounds very fishy, I refreshed a page on a different site, It went from out of stock to in stock, Then to out of stock with no ETA within 2 seconds and that was with me being logged in and going straight to the checkout.

I'm buying the excuse of "we only get limited stock" less and less as time goes by as scalpers and miners seem to have no issue getting these.

Last edited:
Soldato

Mining has been going on for years, these supply problems have gone up to an entirely new level since scalpers got on board, yes miners are having an effect, but I think you have really under estimated just how many people have jumped on this bandwagon its far more profitable than mining could ever be wished for, circa £50 a month or make a profit of £500 in a couple of days?

Also how many are mining with PS5's yet they nowhere to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom