• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800XT or RTX cards

Permabanned
It looks like some reviewers don't recommend the 6900XT card.
https://youtu.be/u1T41Xm-y0g

From what I can see, reviewers are running Cyberpunk2077 with Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB DDR4 3600 ( all top quality cpu and ram components) at only 1080p with Ray Tracing ON and getting 45fps.

I'm concerned that 4k with the 6900XT would likely run at 10fps with Ray Tracing on and DLSS off.

https://youtu.be/40fhCeowsfk

Even the RTX 3070 is beating the 6900XT with Ray Tracing / DLSS on. And the card cost like twice the price of the 3070.

https://youtu.be/sxcX8eUZ-H8

1. Do AMD need to step up for next gen cards? Or is really a 4k gaming card.
2. Is it worth buying a 6900XT over a 3080/3090?
3. Are there 6900XT laptop variants?
4. If you have purchased the AMD cards , would you recommend it and what are the cons of the card?

Pet Northerner
Don
if you specifically want to play CP2077 with full RTX, go team green.

Anything else IMO AMD are better. I have both a 3080FE and 6800XT in mine and the wifes PC's and after using both I wish she'd let me have my 6800XT back!

Caporegime

Anything else IMO AMD are better. I have both a 3080FE and 6800XT in mine and the wifes PC's and after using both I wish she'd let me have my 6800XT back!
This.
^ just swap it she probably wouldn't notice:D
Definitely this. :D
Am I the only one that don't like ray tracing on cyberpunk?
Yes, I think it looks better with it off also.

Soldato
Am I the only one that don't like ray tracing on cyberpunk?

I've watched some previews after the patch and after jumping in with my 6900XT, haven't really noticed a difference. Still feels like a gimmick and still won't use it/switch.
Just look at the likes of Division 2 with the snowdrop engine, Outriders with UE4 and Valheim, RTX is not needed.

Caporegime
Pretty much will come down to how much of a believer you are in ray tracing tech. Given it's the way games are going to go, I rather have the ability to use and enjoy it now especially since it is in all the games I care about atm and for future titles (dying light 2 and the metro remake) rather than wait another 1-2 years.

RTX/ray tracing isn't "needed" to have great looking games but it helps with getting rid of issues seen with old methods of dealing with reflections etc. i.e. below, worst case scenario but you can see it happening with every reflection in every game no matter how much the camera angle is adjusted, immersion breaking for me especially in motion when driving around the city as obviously you have a lot of reflections/lighting sources:

HA2fkHc.jpg

nMLqlaF.jpg

I happily played cyberpunk first time on my vega 56 obviously with no ray tracing and for the second play through with my 3080 with all ray tracing on, it is not noticeable most of the time.... however, when it is, it is seriously impressive. It does feel like it is overdone but I think the below comment I seen on reddit kind of sums it up:

I think people are so used to video games looking a certain way that RT is a bit of a curve ball because it doesn’t look like what video games have always looked like...

Video game characters that look like they have their own personal studio light following them around is normal. We think it’s realistic...but it’s not.

RT is changing the way we see video games and people are having a hard time accepting it. It’s not a gimmick. It’s just new tech.

Essentially, I rather have the choice to use it than not to.

Hoping that spiderman from the PS will get brought to PC as that game is without a doubt the most impressive show case for ray tracing.

Last edited:
Associate
It looks like some reviewers don't recommend the 6900XT card.
https://youtu.be/u1T41Xm-y0g

From what I can see, reviewers are running Cyberpunk2077 with Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB DDR4 3600 ( all top quality cpu and ram components) at only 1080p with Ray Tracing ON and getting 45fps.

I'm concerned that 4k with the 6900XT would likely run at 10fps with Ray Tracing on and DLSS off.

https://youtu.be/40fhCeowsfk

Even the RTX 3070 is beating the 6900XT with Ray Tracing / DLSS on. And the card cost like twice the price of the 3070.

https://youtu.be/sxcX8eUZ-H8

4. If you have purchased the AMD cards , would you recommend it and what are the cons of the card?

Have a few of the latest gen cards here, 3070, 6700XT and the 6800 and on the whole I prefer the 6000 series cards over the 3070. Just seem to do better at pretty much everything bar RT... which even on the 3070 I tend to turn off because it still pummels FPS to an unacceptable standard and for the next few generations at least is still far too sketchy.

Im sure in 3-4 years time with another couple of generations under our belts the RT / Upsampling debate will matter much more but for me, now, it's still on the fringes.

Soldato

One current exception is Destiny 2 which runs like absolute **** on RDNA2 GPU's (and RDNA1 but in that case you roll back to 20.4.2 drivers to bring the performance back). The performance issues have been acknowledged by Bungie and AMD but a fix is yet to arrive.

As an example the performance in random sections of the game will often drop below 60fps at 2560x1440 on a RX6800, despite the exact same scenario running at over 70 on a 2070 Super running 3440x1440 (ref: my machine has the RX6800 whilst my wife is using a 2070 Super).

Bizarrely the issue seems to be one of both CPU utilisation being low (I have a 3950X so this shouldn't be an issue here) combined with the GPU clock dropping to <1.5Ghz (stock is 2.2 on my card). I can alleviate the problem in certain areas by forcing VSR/DSR to 4K whereby I get framerates around 40% higher than the 2070 Super, however this doesn't work in other areas of the game.

Soldato

1. Absolutely.
2. Depends entirely on your games & settings preferred, as well as other uses where Nvidia has a dominating advantage (CUDA, ML, Nvenc etc).
3. No, and there won't be. Even the 6800 XT laptop variant (M) will be based on a chip that would be equivalent to a 6700XT or lower (Navi 22).
4. I have only purchased AMD, and have generally built with AMD for others as well but I think in the current market it's largely irrelevant as it's all a mater of what you can get rather than what you want to get. If I could've bought at MSRP I would've bought a 3080, no question, because I do care about RT.

Permabanned
OP
One current exception is Destiny 2 which runs like absolute **** on RDNA2 GPU's (and RDNA1 but in that case you roll back to 20.4.2 drivers to bring the performance back). The performance issues have been acknowledged by Bungie and AMD but a fix is yet to arrive.

As an example the performance in random sections of the game will often drop below 60fps at 2560x1440 on a RX6800, despite the exact same scenario running at over 70 on a 2070 Super running 3440x1440 (ref: my machine has the RX6800 whilst my wife is using a 2070 Super).

Bizarrely the issue seems to be one of both CPU utilisation being low (I have a 3950X so this shouldn't be an issue here) combined with the GPU clock dropping to <1.5Ghz (stock is 2.2 on my card). I can alleviate the problem in certain areas by forcing VSR/DSR to 4K whereby I get framerates around 40% higher than the 2070 Super, however this doesn't work in other areas of the game.

Sounds like a driver issue , 40% fps gains is huge :eek:

Soldato
Amen Brother! Used both and far prefer the XT :cool:

can you explain why fella? I've got a g-sync screen but have been thinking of swapping it out for something that's vendor neutral. However a 6800xt is still impossible really expensive, you can't get one for anything near 3080fe money can you?

Caporegime
you can't get one for anything near 3080fe money can you?

No man, not until AMD start selling to UK customers directly again.

For me the sharpen filter is fantastic and superior to the nv version, it's almost on the level of RT of how it improves the look of a game. And because of this I know in the future that running a game at 75/80% render it'll STILL look great and I'll get the boost in fps!

Also I don't know if it's the Infinity Cache helping but the frametimes are so so nice and smooth, raw fps doesn't always tell the whole story for sure! :)

All in all, v happy with this card.

Soldato
No man, not until AMD start selling to UK customers directly again.

For me the sharpen filter is fantastic and superior to the nv version, it's almost on the level of RT of how it improves the look of a game. And because of this I know in the future that running a game at 75/80% render it'll STILL look great and I'll get the boost in fps!

Also I don't know if it's the Infinity Cache helping but the frametimes are so so nice and smooth, raw fps doesn't always tell the whole story for sure! :)

All in all, v happy with this card.

I had a bunch of amd cards before my current 980ti and Titan pascal and was happy with them. Also AMD fine wine is real, I think because so much more is done in hardware than Nvidia

Back
Top Bottom