The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Associate
10% Ooni discount: upgrade10

Annoyed because I asked customer services if there was any active codes before I ordered my Karu and told no. Only then to join an unofficial Ooni owners forum and find this code widespread.

Webchat declined to honour it, so have raised a ticket to ask again. Leaves a sour taste in the mouth despite me really enjoying the Karu.

Associate
If anyone is on the fence like I was, get an Ooni! We have it every Saturday lunchtime now and it’s been very successful while following just the basic recipes. I will try the longer prove dough and all the other good suggestions on here at some point but the oven makes fantastic pizzas with very little effort

I’m after a table now (currently balancing it on two rattan seats and an old garden table top). The ooni one looks quite pricey but has good reviews and I can’t find any alternatives. Any suggestions or shall I just go for it?

Same here. I'm sitting it on my metal garden table for now. Best options Ive found so far are:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/flytta-kitchen-trolley-stainless-steel-00058487/
https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma-garden-trolley-90kg-capacity/1875855_BQ.prd

Neither really fit with the aesthetic of our garden though. Holding in for now in case I get some more inspiration.

Associate
I’m after a table now (currently balancing it on two rattan seats and an old garden table top). The ooni one looks quite pricey but has good reviews and I can’t find any alternatives. Any suggestions or shall I just go for it?

I spent ages looking around for something appropriate but in the end I bit the bullet and went with the Ooni table. It's really heavy and a very substantial piece of kit. I don't regret going for it. It's also easy to move around if you need to (we live on a hill, quite exposed, so it's good to move around to an area out of the wind when necessary.

Quite a few people on the Ooni Enthusiasts FB group have made their own (eg using wooden pallets) if you have the time to be able to do this.

Associate
That Ikea table on wheels looks very interesting. It would go great on our new patio that is getting laid shortly. I can imagine myself spinning the pizzas, stripy top and all. We rest the Ooni on a round aluminium bistro garden table at the moment.

Can't type for toffee
Don
The Ooni table is a bonkers price.

Have a look at these:
https://www.diy.com/departments/goodhome-budu-kitchen-trolley/3663602633280_BQ.prd

Myself and a mate both ended up with 2 each haha, 1 for the pizza oven and one as a prep area when outside.
The trays below are study enough to hold a loada ingredients and beers ;)

The trays are also a decent size so I use one of the shallower ones as my dough box :)
Do need to find a teflon sheet big enough to cover the bottom of the tray tho

Can't type for toffee
Don
Karu is loads better than Fyra, pellets are a ball ache

You on gas or chunks of wood now?

I had a proper **** about with the oven (in the snow Ill add haha) took forever to get upto temp, also ended up quite smoky.
Wondering if the balcas were damp :(

Got some gas now and had the gas attachement at a daft price when I bought the oven.
Gonna give the uuni a bath in full fat no name coke (really does clean anything) then a good wash down and have a bash at gas :)

Don
You on gas or chunks of wood now?

I had a proper **** about with the oven (in the snow Ill add haha) took forever to get upto temp, also ended up quite smoky.
Wondering if the balcas were damp :(

Got some gas now and had the gas attachement at a daft price when I bought the oven.
Gonna give the uuni a bath in full fat no name coke (really does clean anything) then a good wash down and have a bash at gas :)

Gas, doesn't seem to be any downside (other than a bit of fun)

mine needs a good clean too

bJN

bJN

Soldato
I've wanted one of these since I first saw them a couple of years ago. Moving into new house (hopefully) at the start of June and was thinking of getting one ordered ready for that. Can't make my mind up on what would be best; was eyeing up the Karu for more flexibility - charcoal Weber BBQ would be next to it so used to solid fuels more than gas (though I know gas is easy to use). Any thoughts or recommendations?

Associate
I've wanted one of these since I first saw them a couple of years ago. Moving into new house (hopefully) at the start of June and was thinking of getting one ordered ready for that. Can't make my mind up on what would be best; was eyeing up the Karu for more flexibility - charcoal Weber BBQ would be next to it so used to solid fuels more than gas (though I know gas is easy to use). Any thoughts or recommendations?

I love my Karu, a totally different experience to the Fyra in terms of making fuel management easier, more fun, cleaner and cheaper.

Soldato
Have to say I'm enjoying the Koda 12. Glad I got gas, made curry tonight so just fired it up for 10 minutes and nuked a couple of naans.

I've actually used it more for breads than pizzas so far :p

Soldato
What are the essentials for a Koda 12.....gas, peel, carry case?
Does the unit come with all relevant gas connections or do you need the hose/connector?

It comes with the hose and connector. All you need is a gas bottle.

I cooked my first few by sliding the pizza off a plate, until my peel arrived, so that's not even 100% required :) definitely easier with one though.

Soldato
Made some dough the other day for Saturday 44hours in the garage, 5 hours in the house balled up Saturday morning. Amazing how little yeast you need for longer proves.

Soldato
Ah yeah, noticed when went to checkout the cable was included. Gonna order one soon. Seems quite a long lead time, guess its a bit like other lockdown shortages......

Ordered mine mid March, and got it 1st April, so pretty quick. I was keen to get it before the summer rush though...

Associate
My head is hurting after considering timescales and percentages on having a play with poolish or biga. At this rate I might just go with a bog standard 8 hour RT recipe for simplicity.

Anyone else bother with poolish or biga? I only have Caputo Pizzeria which I read doesnt do so well with anything over 12 hour ferments, which might now explain why some of my other attemtps havent been succesful.

Soldato
Got my best Pizzas yet over the weekend, Used the OP recipe, but reduced the semolina to just 100g and used the taste the difference 00 pasta flour, also upped the hydration to about 64%, then 3 day prove in the fridge and got them out cut the doughballs up a few hours and then left on the side, although this dried them out a bit, it made them nice and easy to handle.

Main difference was keeping the flame going which I think I've failed at a bit recently, can't ever seem to get the 1-2 minute cooks people proclaim, but 3-4 minutes was the norm. Various combos of toppings as had friends over but nailed 4 of the 5 I made, first 2 were ridiculously fluffy and light!

ayc1I9E.jpg

A4F1uDM.jpg

oyr59oQ.jpg

Soldato
I don't know about solid-fuelled models....but my Koda on gas would reduce pizzas to a black frisbee in 3-4 minutes!

Think you want to look at getting your temps up. You want to get those black crispy bits without drying out and hardening the bulk of the crust.

Soldato
My head is hurting after considering timescales and percentages on having a play with poolish or biga. At this rate I might just go with a bog standard 8 hour RT recipe for simplicity.

Anyone else bother with poolish or biga? I only have Caputo Pizzeria which I read doesnt do so well with anything over 12 hour ferments, which might now explain why some of my other attemtps havent been succesful.

I generally do a 63% hydration dough at least 24 hour cold, 5 hour room temp.
Preferably 48+ hour cold though.

Back
Top Bottom