65in - Panasonic, Samsung or LG?

Associate
Hi All, looking at a new 65in tv, and narrowed down to these models:

Samsung Q95A:

Panasonic JZ1500: price unknown, assuming roughly similar to Samsung and LG

LG G1

Have there been enough reviews to calculate if any are particularly good/bad? Im assuming at the higher end of each company offering theres not a whole lot wrong.

I will connect to a BT supplied Humax 4k youview box for recording and streaming (assume new tv will have most apps on anyway, my old tv isn’t a smart tv so has none); and a Sony UBPx7000 for 4k discs

Won’t be gaming, and will connect all devices through a new amp (not decided on yet) but imagine will have at least 1 or more 4k in/out

Panasonic – got all the picture formats (ie HDR10+ and DV)

Samsung – got a separate box for the connections, meaning less need to channel wires into wall, possibly worse dark but possibly brighter brights, no DV – currently leaning towards this model of the 3

LG – great picture

Any advice / things to bear in mind pls? Will be watched in my lounge, not blacked out or anything, possibly some direct sunlight some of the time on tv.

Soldato
I'd go with the Panasonic if you won't be gaming, as the Panasonic will be tuned much better for TV/Movies. I'd also keep the Sony a90j on the radar, as there's a possibility it might better both the LG/Panasonic, but I am sure all 3 will be using the new evo panel, so comes down to the manufactures extras and tuning capabilities. However in terms of price, you probably looking at £3000 for LG, £3500 for Sony and £4000 for the Panasonic. If not desperate and can hold off a few more weeks, should start to see proper reviews come out on all of them.

Soldato
I'm after a 65" too, however it looks like manufacturing costs for OLED will be halved next year so I'll happily wait. If you can afford it and need one now I'd go for a Panasonic.

Associate
I personally would avoid lg and oled. Had issues with my current oled telly I bought about 4 years ago (can't remember what model but wasnt a cheap one -£2700 bought with some of my redundancy money). Not to mention the burn in it has now!
Although your not gaming I would keep an eye on Samsung's qled 2021 models that are just about to hit the highstreets.

Soldato
Burnin isn't meant to really hit the new models now. If you buy JL you can cover this also anyway.

I wouldn't touch Samsung on the basis they don't support Dolby Vision and this is winning the format war at the moment by quite a big gap.

Soldato
I personally would avoid lg and oled. Had issues with my current oled telly I bought about 4 years ago (can't remember what model but wasnt a cheap one -£2700 bought with some of my redundancy money). Not to mention the burn in it has now!
Although your not gaming I would keep an eye on Samsung's qled 2021 models that are just about to hit the highstreets.

Yes I'm keeping my eye on the progress of the technology. The current stuff seems better and for my use, a few hours in the evening watching films in a darkened room OLED should be ideal. I wouldn't use one for gaming or on all day use. Samsung are also getting into the OLED game although I expect their marketing will try to sell them as not OLED given their rivalry with LG.

Soldato
And what if you were gaming, how does the list look? :)
Depends on how many consoles you own and how much other AV equipment you have, one console and an av system or soundbar than still the Sony for me and you wouldn’t suffer with the 2 hdmi2.1 inputs, if you own more than 1 console that requires hdmi 2.1 and a soundbar/ av system then you should go for the LG due to their 4 HDMI 2.1 ports

Soldato
Burnin isn't meant to really hit the new models now.

It’s an inherent characteristic of the technology - every OLED will get it because the pixels are organic and wear at different rates.

That’s not to say it’ll be horrendous and you shouldn’t get one - I’ve got an OLED, and I exclusively game on it. There might be burn in but I’m not fussed.

Soldato
Why JL protect plus is the win. 5 years burn in protection. I'm kind of hoping mine gets it around the 4 year mark and by then they will have to do a replacement with a new set rather than a like for like swap or repair :cry:

Associate
OP
Would anyone see the point of spending a bit more and getting an 8k tv? i know sources arent readily availible yet, but would there be a point to having the tv and adding sources later, or is received wisdom that the tvs will be better by the time the sources catch up?

Soldato
Would anyone see the point of spending a bit more and getting an 8k tv? i know sources arent readily availible yet, but would there be a point to having the tv and adding sources later, or is received wisdom that the tvs will be better by the time the sources catch up?

When the content does hit, the TV's will be much better. Will probably be a completely new technology by then as well. Whether we will actually see streamed 8k content in this country will also be a big ? So you most likely going to rely on disks. Also ideally for 8k you want the screen to be much larger 77" + to really see the benefits.

Associate
OP
I dont know if im allowed to post other company names or links, but ive seen the 65in JZ1500 advertised for 2,999. Thats the model im interested in, and whilst i will wait for reviews, my understanding is it will play all the HD formats (hdr10, 10+, HLG and DV) and has a pretty good screen. Ideally would have all the streaming apps i like on it but im sure a cheap device stuck in the side will help. Against that, an alternate is sony a90j, as people above have said its good but 1k worth of extra good, i dont know, but if im waiting a few more months then money wise i could possibly go for it. Other than that LG C1. i see what the reviews say and base on that. Seems like good times to be on the look out for a new tv based on whats out there!
Also, in case i havent said it, thanks all for the advise on the other replies! ITs all helpful so please feel free to add anything!

Back
Top Bottom