• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Question of (expected) Supply and Demand

Associate
a lot of the demand has been people working from home and realising that a laptop while ok is not really suited to a home office

also its just that upgrade time so many 4-5 year old systems have been viable for a while and still are but the jumps in performance both gpu and cpu this year make it worth upgrading

Man of Honour
Apart from anything else this would be bad business practice because it would increase the cycle time on these units i.e. having to hold stock rather than keep pushing it down the chain, and delay revenue arriving.

With current demand levels a "significant number" would likely need to be measured in thousands, not hundreds anyway.

Associate
Interesting insight, thanks Scotti. Real shame. Out of interest do you guys have any figures comparing the demand you've seen on the 30XX launch compared to say 20XX? Obviously understand that these might be a bit too material for public forums would however be nice to quantify what the demand looks like comparatively.

Ignoring ethical or legal issue for the moment, do you think it would be possible to overwhelm those using these access points with empty requests?

Does reCAPTCHA actually work?

EDIT: That steam hardware thread is very interesting and answers the question of 20XX vs 30XX in terms of demand. I'm sure one could correlate the demand for this generation of GPUs with the growth in membership of a certain well-known internet sub forum

Does reCAPTCHA actually work? No as bot's can do "CAPTCHA " and add to baskets !
Before you can click on the link to the page to look at the card ... and it's only goin to get worse as when the new 3070/80ti's drop most will be scooped up by Bots

Associate
Interesting insight, thanks Scotti. Real shame. Out of interest do you guys have any figures comparing the demand you've seen on the 30XX launch compared to say 20XX? Obviously understand that these might be a bit too material for public forums would however be nice to quantify what the demand looks like comparatively.

Ignoring ethical or legal issue for the moment, do you think it would be possible to overwhelm those using these access points with empty requests?

Does reCAPTCHA actually work?

EDIT: That steam hardware thread is very interesting and answers the question of 20XX vs 30XX in terms of demand. I'm sure one could correlate the demand for this generation of GPUs with the growth in membership of a certain well-known internet sub forum
I do not know how bots works, but i have seen documentry about bots vs sneekers and why some bots cost 10 000 $ yes faking 10k $
Sneakers are colectables and ppl pay big money for them. scalpers buy bots (limited edition haha) to stay ahead.. gives you a new perspective on whole internet shoping thing.
on that documentry there is explanation how bots operate.

Soldato
Doesn't the store already have a mechanism to determine if you have enough posts to qualify for free delivery (I think that is 100 posts) - would have thought that same check could be used for a voucher code?

Edit: in relation to the OT - aside from other the other issues discussed, if OC were to try this approach, it would mean they would have to sit on a lot of stock for a while until they had enough to make this approach worthwhile. To be fair to OC, no business would want to sit on high value stock when they could be selling it.

The forum does.
I just wonder if all it takes is one to feed the code to the bottom.

Associate
At this point I would pay a fee to enter an invite to buy order and have conversation with a human at the company I'm buying from. I think taking it old school is the only way forward if this is to stop botting.

Harder to stop scalpers for sure though :/

V F

V F

Soldato
a lot of the demand has been people working from home and realising that a laptop while ok is not really suited to a home office

also its just that upgrade time so many 4-5 year old systems have been viable for a while and still are but the jumps in performance both gpu and cpu this year make it worth upgrading

Even keyboards were selling like crazy. Steelseries TKL etc on their site were always listing as sold out or waitlists a month or two ago.

Associate
OCUK should just increase their pricing and pocket the scalpers profits, after all people are feeding the Scalpers more cash which just goes into the next card release. If your going to get scalped you may as well get a warranty, and no I have not and will not be feeding the scalpers. I will just wait this out.

Soldato
Afternoon all,

As most of us in here have been, I've been thinking about the GPU supply issues and how to deal with the issue of supply being purchased instantly and resold with an extra zero added.

Hypothetical idea: If a consumer facing storefront (like OC) were to hold on to a significant number of cards (100+) and then release them all at the same time, with all their usual anti-bot, single item purchase rules in place, would that enable a greater number of people to get hold of one?

My thinking is that everyone has taken up the first pressure on the trigger and is ready to fire on a single card here or there, but if there were so many available in a single drop people would not be prepared with mechanisms to bypass the purchasing rules meaning the stock would go out to a greater variety of people.

Definitely not a solution or even a suggestion, and I invite you all to debate(read debunk) the idea.

The solution is to stop paying scalper prices, if they have no market then they have no business. I'm hoping the lifting of lockdown restrictions can direct people to other hobbies which will help this situation out.

Associate
Even keyboards were selling like crazy. Steelseries TKL etc on their site were always listing as sold out or waitlists a month or two ago.

steel series sold out a lot of products but that could be supply chain Issues

but demand on everything does seem to be up

they only just got restocked on mouse pads and they are flying out again

Associate
OCUK should just increase their pricing and pocket the scalpers profits, after all people are feeding the Scalpers more cash which just goes into the next card release. If your going to get scalped you may as well get a warranty, and no I have not and will not be feeding the scalpers. I will just wait this out.
OCUK have massively increased there prices all ready

Associate
The solution is to stop paying scalper prices, if they have no market then they have no business. I'm hoping the lifting of lockdown restrictions can direct people to other hobbies which will help this situation out.

Dont think it will ever happen, you have the desperate and you have the people who are disconnected from the value of money as they are rich enough for them not to care. There will always be a market in my view.

Associate
I don't think your idea would work on the E-commerce level. This would put huge stresses on the distribution, it might also encourage multiple purchasing behaviours.

Holding back stock might work if Nvidia held back and then flooded all supply avenues with GPU's for about 2 months straight. That way those trying to scalp would be priced out of the market, as they usually can't hold much high value stock without turnover.
Good luck persuading Jensen to do anything about it though.
Jensen is trying to make money from miners but also tries to look like he cares about gamers

Associate
Does reCAPTCHA actually work? No as bot's can do "CAPTCHA " and add to baskets !
Before you can click on the link to the page to look at the card ... and it's only goin to get worse as when the new 3070/80ti's drop most will be scooped up by Bots
The FEs are protected by catchpas and to me knowledge they are the only drops where I see so many humans posting on the Discord I hang around that they finally got their GPU, so I think catchpas would work.

Associate
Won't work. Bots are faster than gamers, simple as that. We released 200 6700XTs via a voucher code published on this forum. All cards snapped up within 40 minutes. Mostly new customers with no order history and the number that ended up being scalped was ridiculous.

There's a trend here to blame miners, and maybe the miners are feeding the scalpers, but there's also a much bigger demand from gamers than most people believe. However, the core problem is scalper groups using bots and their patsy's who they pay to allow them to use their name & address details. We can't filter out duplicate orders if every order comes from a different "person".

Commercial bot protections don't really work, that was painfully apparent when a bug on the website allowed hundreds of bots to order in a matter of minutes a couple of weeks ago. Bots are now clever enough to bypass the common protections.
That's sad to hear! I was one of the lucky 200, the card is in my son's PC and is amazingly good. He's loving running Fortnite with RT on. It's broken all the 3Dmark scores for a 3700x/6700XT system. My other 20 years build experience coming in there I think lol.

Associate
The fact that there is huge genuine demand from gamers doesn’t surprise me in the slightest. I’ve been on a sub-Reddit where people show off their gaming rigs for the last 6 months (dunno why frankly!) and the amount of “my first ever pc build” posts is insane. And that has to be a fraction of a fraction of people. Obviously there are supply issues but genuine demand is through the roof too.

Associate
That's sad to hear! I was one of the lucky 200, the card is in my son's PC and is amazingly good. He's loving running Fortnite with RT on. It's broken all the 3Dmark scores for a 3700x/6700XT system. My other 20 years build experience coming in there I think lol.
That’s a really good card. The new gen is really amazing

Back
Top Bottom