Moving away from gas hob?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I've gone over to induction hob from many years of gas and ended up having to buy a little gas camping stove to use my wok.. Bit of a faff but a compromise that works for me.
You do need to have a good thick wok to use with induction. We have a pro cook tri ply cookware and the wok is great on induction.

Soldato
We tried to stick to induction when we got a new oven/cooker a few years back, went back to gas hob in the end. Induction doesn't come close in terms of control and response IMO, though electric ovens are much more consistent

Associate
I think a decent induction really does have the control. You lose the visual cue of size of flame and noise of flame, but responsiveness is perfect. As I mentioned before not all induction are equal. A cheap gas does very well a cheap induction doesn’t

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

We tried to stick to induction when we got a new oven/cooker a few years back, went back to gas hob in the end. Induction doesn't come close in terms of control and response IMO, though electric ovens are much more consistent

Yeah they do. Maybe the cheap induction hobs aren't good, but decent ones out class gas all day long.

Mine has 14 point control plus power boost and auto adjusts to pan size. If I've a pan on the boil, the pan responds instantly the moment I turn the zone off/down. Plus I can remove the pan and don't have to worry about the cats or kids burning themselves on the hob. And don't get me started on cleaning gas hobs!

https://eurokera.com/blog/professional-chefs-love-induction-cooking-and-you-should-too/

Soldato
Yeah they do. Maybe the cheap induction hobs aren't good, but decent ones out class gas all day long.

Mine has 14 point control plus power boost and auto adjusts to pan size. If I've a pan on the boil, the pan responds instantly the moment I turn the zone off/down. Plus I can remove the pan and don't have to worry about the cats or kids burning themselves on the hob. And don't get me started on cleaning gas hobs!

https://eurokera.com/blog/professional-chefs-love-induction-cooking-and-you-should-too/

Great, good for you. I'll take a gas flame and several kilos of iron pan all day long :) Kids and cats only burn themselves on the hobs once

Soldato
I'd I've thought gas would offer 'infinite' control if I'm being pedantic as I think you're just open a valve/solenoid with a switch :D. I think induction is dodgy if you have pacemaker, also due to how it works not sure what happens with jewelry. That said I've never used induction as I have gas, but I can't see why one would be better/worse over the other, I can see just the pure hot plate ones being poor and very slow to cool off.

Associate
Another vote here for Induction, had one in my last house but yet to update the new place (new kitchen on the horizon).

As comments above, I found it as controllable as gas, and the hob was a damn site easier to clean, and looked sleek when not in use.

Soldato
Another +1 for Induction. Wouldn't go back to gas.

Aside with it being just as good and responsive as gas three things work in it's favour for us.

1 - To clean it you literally just wipe it down
2 - You don't feel like you loose any worktop surface as you can still prepare on it if needs be.
3 - It doesn't heat up the kitchen when cooking. Cooking with Gas can make the kitchen biblically hot. Induction keeps the kitchen nice and cool

Man of Honour
We have electric fan over and gas hob, can't be that hard to find surely? I prefer gas hobs.
My dad has always had full gas, it gets annoying sometimes where the gas oven won't light and you have to try loads of times or end up reaching in with a match.

whenever there's a power cut you can't even boil a pan of water let alone cook something. Gas hardly ever gets cut
How often do you get power cuts in the UK though and how long does it normally take to restore service? I've lived in this house since 2008 and I think in all that time there has only been 1 or maybe 2 power cuts. It's the sort of thing that happens perhaps every 5 years on average at most and then gets switched back on quickly. I've had at least as many issues with ovens being rendered temporarily unusable (failed heating element, glass door shattering) as I've had powercuts and it took longer to rectify those issues than you have to wait for the power to come back on.

Soldato
I think a decent induction really does have the control. You lose the visual cue of size of flame and noise of flame, but responsiveness is perfect. As I mentioned before not all induction are equal. A cheap gas does very well a cheap induction doesn’t

A good induction hob will boil water massively faster than any gas. Faster than a kettle.

Heat distribution is better than gas imo, and responsiveness is just as good.

That said, I have a gas hob at the mo, but I don't prefer induction enough to swap it out. I do have a good Siemens induction hob in the loft but the glass got cracked in the move :( Will get it fixed at some point.

Soldato
The biggest downside with induction is theres a lot more things that can go wrong with it then gas! GO with whichever you have a preference for, induction vs gas is like saying would you rather a bentley or a jag...

Permabanned
Our oven needs replacing. It's a freestanding oven with gas oven and gas hob. The gas oven is awful and we both want to go electric, we both prefer gas hobs though.

Yes gas hobs are is harder to clean, but being able to change the temperature so precisely and instantly is really nice. The problem is we can't find a cooker that is electric oven and gas hob that we like the look of, and is in budget, but there's quite a few all electric ones (separates is not an option due to kitchen layout).

I've always hated cooking on electric ovens whenever we go anywhere, but I wonder if that's just because it's been for a week or two and didn't have time to get used to it. Has anyone moved away from gas and thought it was good move?

You do realise though that electricity is very significantly more expensive and this one action will have a very negative impact on your fuel bills.

Soldato
You do realise though that electricity is very significantly more expensive and this one action will have a very negative impact on your fuel bills.

Gas is cheaper per kWh (approx 1/3 -1/4) but you need way more of it so the difference is not that big. When you heat using gas, loads of the heat just escapes around the side of the pan. An induction hob has direct contact and it’s the pan itself that heats up, it’s far more efficient.

Fuel costs to run a hob are insignificant compared to central heating. The fuel bill point isn’t really material.

Back
Top Bottom