*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
This is the FOV mod I've ordered. Its a new shallow gasket. They seem to be 'on a break' at the moment though. There are other options around, I've no reason to suspect one is better than the other.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/948...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

has yours turned up yet? be interested on your thoughts,
ive ordered mine a few days ago, im happy enough already but IF a better FOV can be gained from this then its worth the small outlay,

Associate
Would you recommend a Reverb G2 to somebody who only had a 2070 Super and no intention of changing for another year at least??

I have only used the G2 and no other headset but I run it with a 2070S and I would absolutely recommend it!
Only thing I can’t run so far, no idea why yet, is msfs 2020. Racing is a treat!

Associate
has yours turned up yet? be interested on your thoughts,
ive ordered mine a few days ago, im happy enough already but IF a better FOV can be gained from this then its worth the small outlay,

Ill post a better update once I've had more of a chance to test it out but my inital thoughts are that I didn't realise the pad I ordered with it will need to be attached. I only had glue around so thats what I used.
The FOV is increased but ill have to test it out a little more to get a better sense of the real gain this brings.
Its definitely less comfortable than stock so my inital thoughts are it may be fine for seated experiences but for FPS games such as Onward the stock unit may be better.

Soldato
I have only used the G2 and no other headset but I run it with a 2070S and I would absolutely recommend it!
Only thing I can’t run so far, no idea why yet, is msfs 2020. Racing is a treat!

Thanks for the reply :)

MSFS 2020 seems to be a mess for everyone, so, I wouldn't rule out the headset over one game.

Soldato
I’ve gone on a real journey trying to get the best out of Flight Sim 2020 and the g2. Spent about 2 weeks with multiple combinations of testing.

I think I’m getting near the end so will try post my findings on here. If you want a quick summary Preview though - it’s basically a complicated ******* mess.

Soldato
Really, it's not worth bothering with FS2020 in VR right now as it's just not optimised. IL2 Sturmovik and DCS are the best ones to play, but of course they don't have the whole world to fly around.

Associate
Ive got a 2080ti and 9900k and for MSFS I find if I set the resolution to 70% in OpenXR and 100% in MSFS, everything else roughly on medium, then it all runs smoothly except places like London. For that I need to turn the game down to 70% as well.

Still a great experience.

Associate
I’ve gone on a real journey trying to get the best out of Flight Sim 2020 and the g2. Spent about 2 weeks with multiple combinations of testing.

I think I’m getting near the end so will try post my findings on here. If you want a quick summary Preview though - it’s basically a complicated ******* mess.

Mine crashes out of the game every time I load a flight. I saw people suggesting to turn on VR only after the flight has loaded but doesn’t work for me, still crashes out of the game. I have tweaked every option to try to avoid this but no luck.

started thinking it could be the game pass version of the game that behaves like this.

Associate
Mine crashes out of the game every time I load a flight. I saw people suggesting to turn on VR only after the flight has loaded but doesn’t work for me, still crashes out of the game. I have tweaked every option to try to avoid this but no luck.

started thinking it could be the game pass version of the game that behaves like this.
Mine was doing that when I didnt have enough RAM

Soldato

Mine is the gamepass version and doesn’t have any crashes, so it shouldn’t be anything to do with that.

Thinking back, before I got the g2, and when the game first came out I did get a few crashes. I found the culprit to be my page file settings!

make sure you have that set up. Either let windows mange it, or I now have set a manual 16GB min 32Gb max setting. Don’t think you need to make it this big but I have ample disk space on several ssds, and I only have 16GB physical ram at the mo...

If you have the drives, try and put your page file on a separate drive to the game, and different to your rolling cache location too if you use it.

Soldato

you don’t have any auxiliary windows (like atc, vfr map etc) popped out do you?

I had the VFR map popped out and it’s a crash every time when entering VR. If so, start in 2D and make sure all such windows are closed before entering VR.

Associate
Well I'm not a fan of my FOV mod. It does increase the FOV a bit but I find the reduced comfort not worth the trade off. Equally off putting is that it seems to make the image more blurry, although that could just be my eyes.

Associate
Well I'm not a fan of my FOV mod. It does increase the FOV a bit but I find the reduced comfort not worth the trade off. Equally off putting is that it seems to make the image more blurry, although that could just be my eyes.

Ohh interesting
Sorry it’s not all it should be that’s no good is it
Mine is being delivered today! Prob won’t get a chance to try it until sat/sun
Did you use any software to measure the FOV ? or just tried it as it was ?
Also did you say the cushion wasn’t attached ! If so how did you attached it
Thanks in advance :)

Associate
I didn't measure the FOV and to be fair to the unit I didn't try it for long either. It just didn't feel right for me. That could just be my face shape etc so don't let that put you off, go in with an open mind.

The pad wasn't attached. Thin Velcro would probably be the best method to attach it but I didn't have any to hand so I used super glue.

I'd quite like to try the stock pad with the new face gasket to see how that feels to me. I suspect putting my eyes closer to the lens is what caused the increased blur though and that won't change regardless of comfort.

Unfortunately, theres probably a very good reason HP didn't make the FOV any wider when developing the headset. I'm new to all this though so take everything I say with a pinch of salt.

Soldato
VorpX updated yesterday, now supporting OpenXR.

Lifted from the change log:

• OpenXR support added (beta): this is the big addition this time, making vorpX’s technical fundament future proof for the next few years to come. OpenXR is the upcoming industry wide VR API that will – or at least is supposed to – eventually superseed the current vendor specific APIs from Oculus, Valve and Microsoft. OpenXR is recommended now for WMR headsets, works better with vorpX than WMR over SteamVR. For Oculus there isn’t much of a difference, so you can stick to Oculus or try OpenXR if you want. Valve’s OpenXR implementation isn’t quite ready yet (e.g. no 32bit), so for native SteamVR headsets like Index/Vive/Pimax stick to SteamVR for the time being.

Only had time to quickly check out the performance with Empyrion, i would agree with the testimonials from others reporting performance gains with WMR and the G2. Over the weekend i'll stress it some with some Titanfall, Fallen Order, Battle Front 2, and Farming sim.

Back
Top Bottom