Poll: Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2021, Imola - Race 2/23

Rate the 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
zfBja2z.png
Imola
When was the track built?
Imola – or the Autodromo Internazionale Enzo e Dino Ferrari as it’s been known since 1988 – had its foundation stone laid in March 1950. It was ready for testing by October 1952, while racing began at the circuit in 1953.

When was its first Grand Prix?
Imola first hosted a non-championship F1 race in 1963, but it would take some politicking with Monza in 1980 before the track was awarded the honour of hosting the Italian Grand Prix for the first time that year. From 1981, the two tracks worked together in perfect harmony, with Imola taking on its famous ‘San Marino’ title, and going on to host a total of 27 Grands Prix up until 2006. It returned as venue for the Emilia Romagna GP in 2020.

What’s the circuit like?
A thrill ride. After testing his AlphaTauri AT01 at the track in the build-up to the 2020 season, Pierre Gasly called the experience one of the best he’d ever had in a Formula 1 car, while his then-team mate Daniil Kvyat remarked that “an F1 car through corners like Acque Minerali – the entrance is so fast, it’s so cool. It really gives you a lot of adrenaline.” The anti-clockwise circuit is certainly fast, with an old-school feel as the drivers put it on the line in iconic corners like the aforementioned Acque Minerali and Piratella.

TV Times
Sky:
HxGg25a.png

C4:
Sat - Quali Highlights 7.30pm
Sun - Race Highlights 6.30pm

Track Diagram & Information
SGJTtVt.png

Weather Forecast
BaqJOqd.png

2020 Race highlights
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...lia-romagna-gp-at.667abLEacA99Ht5b5XjffA.html

WDC Standings
swbNlNn.png

Constructors' Championship Standings
gaSd5Ye.png

Practice 1
UolNnZy.png

Practice 2
m8qMuYx.png

Practice 3
2kP8tAA.png

Qualifying
InqXatX.png

Race
nHdJdoN.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Might need to check the times as practice sessions and qualifying have been moved so they don't clash with the funeral coverage.

Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Free Practice 1: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Free Practice 2: 14:30-15:30 (UK time: 13:30-14:30)

Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Free Practice 3: 11:00-12:00 (UK time: 10:00-11:00)
Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix Qualifying: 14:00 (UK time: 13:00)

Caporegime
The big question for this one is how Mercedes/Red Bull measure up to each other. In Bahrain the Red Bull was clearly faster, even if Hamilton and Mercedes beat Max on tactics, will that carry over to Imola? Or will we see the balance shifting back and forth as the season continues?

Hasty prediction from me: 1. Max 2. Lewis 3. Ricciardo. Pérez to impress but suffer mechanical failure late in the race. Mazepin to crash into his teammate.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The big question for this one is how Mercedes/Red Bull measure up to each other. In Bahrain the Red Bull was clearly faster, even if the Hamilton and Mercedes beat Max on tactics, will that carry over to Imola? Or will we see the balance shifting back and forth as the season conditions?

Hasty prediction from me: 1. Max 2. Lewis 3. Ricciardo. Pérez to impress but suffer mechanical failure late in the race. Mazepin to crash into his teammate.
Red Bull lost Max the race by not pitting at the right time allowing Lewis to use his newer tyres to make time on him.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Max was also hampered by his diff issues that he reported. They said it cost them time.

I'm hoping we see the true potential of everyone this weekend.

Soldato
Well yes, but the implication I took, perhaps incorrectly, was that it was Mercedes and their good tactics that won the race rather than Red Bulls poor tactics.

Didn't Red Bull, especially at Hamiltons second stop, think Merc were going for a 3 stop as it was *so* early, so yes poor Red Bull strategy but also it seems harsh to not give Merc and/or Hamilton any credit for pulling off a relatively aggressive strategy...

What was perhaps more interesting is how Red Bull rarely/never attempted similar in 2020/2019 when they had the slower car... And it's not like Merc used Bottas to attack Red Bull with both drivers on different strategies.

I suspect, given last year and the advantage Red Bull have that this will be a Verstappen win.

Caporegime
That wasn't Red Bull, that was a mistake by Max. He carried too much speed into a turn and Hamilton used his experience to ensure Max took a poor line. Max should have just waited another lap and he could have cruised past.

I think @Flibster was referring to Max not utilising the run-off to gain lap time through the race rather than his mistake in overtaking off track - although you're right that this cost Max the win.

Soldato
I have to admit I was assuming this race was taking place last weekend, two weeks after Bahrain, to the point where I woke up last Friday and went to check the schedule to be surprised there was no coverage. Completely ignoring the distinct lack of build up and "it's race week!" tweets and Shimmy's thread here (thanks again for these Shimmy).

I blame still being in a February-March mindset and shorter February rather than a March-April one. And being an idiot.

The big question for this one is how Mercedes/Red Bull measure up to each other. In Bahrain the Red Bull was clearly faster, even if Hamilton and Mercedes beat Max on tactics, will that carry over to Imola? Or will we see the balance shifting back and forth as the season continues?
Mercedes have said that the next couple of tracks shouldn't suit them, but then they say that about every race.

Back
Top Bottom