Need to verify age to watch some Youtube videos

Man of Honour
Fair enough but we're not in the EU, so why does that affect us?

Probably because we incorporated it into UK law anyway.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1062/made

Was the statutory instrument that was used, and includes the relevant stuff.

368Z1 is the reference in the document that's relevant.

So it's UK law as well as EU law.

Note that as it was done via statutory instrument, no parliamentary debate or vote was needed.

Soldato
I dont get anything like age verification when I watch anything on YT thats rated for adults etc

same here...sometimes need to watch directly on Youtube website rather than via embedded on forums etc but not sure if that's anything to do with age restrictions

OP - link what you're trying to watch? :p

e: and yeah...some stuff completely blocked due to 'region'

Soldato
It only asks this if your not logged in don't it?

Only time its ever asked me this is if im not logged in,And that was just from watching a Rap track which obviously had explicit language in..never had it while been logged in though.

Soldato
Here's an example, it's the full length police video of something topical right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEGGLu_fNU

It's difficult to find other examples to provide that don't contain swearing etc. But I've found it to be rather random as to what videos are covered, and which aren't.

Google/Youtube will be using a geoip database, so it may not be completely accurate and some people in the UK may still be able to view it.

Man of Honour
No age verification request for me - I'm using an older account as well which isn't a Google one and AFAIK doesn't have any verification that I remember.

Though I did briefly have premium so maybe references my card details from that or something.

Soldato
No age verification request for me - I'm using an older account as well which isn't a Google one and AFAIK doesn't have any verification that I remember.

Though I did briefly have premium so maybe references my card details from that or something.
My Youtube account is about 10 years old, so I'm guessing they got it from your card data? It's not like Google are going to through away useful user data.

Back
Top Bottom