• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Chip shortage until 2023

Soldato
Electricity wouldn't be a problem if not for all the green cultists with their anti-nuclear zealotry. The world can have all the energy it wants, it just has to stop letting itself be manipulated into bizzare superstitions.

Associate
government has no business telling you how much electricity you use. I have solar panels, I will use as much electricity as i see fit.

Whats probably is going to happen, electricity will go up massively, and guess who is going to suffer the most? Old people and the poor.

Of course they have business telling people how much power they use when they draw it from the national grid, we are in global climate crisis.

It would be incredibly naive of governments to rely on individuals to make sensible decisions, that evidently is not going to happen.

In China in particular the amount of energy being used for bitcoin mining is truly tremendous, at the current rate by 2024, China's bitcoin mining alone will exceed the energy consumption of all of Italy.

A far more fair way to deal with energy is limit each households/businesses usage, than it is to jack up the price 20 fold, because as you point out the only people that will suffer as always will be the poor.

Soldato
Problem is the power companies are run for profit, if the 10 card gpu person you mentioned pays their bills no one will care. They rather have wasted energy that is paid for then give out free energy for the needy.
In the UK we are fortunate we do not have a shortage of power, but in Countries where BTC mining is causing power issues you are more likely to see action.

We do havea a shortage of power - the spot prices for buying power from Europe have doubled recently. And remember ,most energy companies are owned by EU countries - or in the case of EDF - the French government.

Soldato
Electricity wouldn't be a problem if not for all the green cultists with their anti-nuclear zealotry. The world can have all the energy it wants, it just has to stop letting itself be manipulated into bizzare superstitions.
Muppet. Nothing at all to do with `green cultists` and everything to do with nuclear companies not getting the payments they demand. China and Japan are no longer building `new nuclear` - it`ll be up to the UK government to front the hundreds of billions needed.

Associate
Of course they have business telling people how much power they use when they draw it from the national grid, we are in global climate crisis.

It would be incredibly naive of governments to rely on individuals to make sensible decisions, that evidently is not going to happen.

In China in particular the amount of energy being used for bitcoin mining is truly tremendous, at the current rate by 2024, China's bitcoin mining alone will exceed the energy consumption of all of Italy.

A far more fair way to deal with energy is limit each households/businesses usage, than it is to jack up the price 20 fold, because as you point out the only people that will suffer as always will be the poor.

Of course they dont.
This Government needs to shut down its coal powered stations before it says anything about trying to tackle "global climate crisis".

Caporegime
Everything will end someday. As long as it is not in ones lifetime I think most do not care, or are to busy/worried about lots of other more pressing matters in life.

Yeah but crypto is famous for going high then crashing hard, happened numerous times over the years. I don't see that trend changing.

Associate
The UK has 3, yes all of 3 coal fired stations - and 1 is in Northern Ireland. The others were all either decommissioned or converted to either gas or biomass fired.

thats 4 too many isnt it?

For the most advanced Western country in Europe, to be still burning COAL to make up its electricity shortfalls, with some stations that are up to 50years old, is nothing short of appalling.

Associate
Funny, Guys google Chinas power outaqge, Bitcoin hash decreased, etherium hash gone up in profits buy 50% . china coffing from all this mining stuff, or something.

Interesting development.

Soldato
Associate
I don't think anyone would care about crypto if they could buy the GPU they wanted :) I've got all based covered, I'm crypto neutral, so I started mining, this week I made £30 woo :) here's to zero! But.. if it isn't profitable I could just keep mining waiting for the day it shoots up again! yeah crypto seems ideal for the modern age :)

Soldato

Or... they could add punitive taxes above a threshold, ensuring that the household who and businesses driving up electricity demand are paying for the new (renewable) generation capacity. I believe something similar is already used in parts of Canada, with the primary problem being that it makes EV charging very expensive. Fortunately, the UK government has been subsidising smart charger installations. They can already monitor the power demands of EVs. And it is believed that the long-term goal is to be able to bill vehicle use separately (allowing electricity demand for transport to be taxed at a different rate to domestic).

Problem is, while such a tax would go a long way to addressing the real problems, it wouldn't kill off cryptocurrency mining (and therefore help the gamers secure GPUs). Even if 100% of mining use occurred above the higher use threshold, and even if the tax was at 100%, mining profitability would dip maybe 10% at current prices. And given all of the phony concern voiced on this board is really about "I want MY GPU!", I doubt this will be a popular suggestion :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom