• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to test a 3090 FE

Associate
Hello

I'm about to buy a slightly used 3090 FE for a really REALLY good price tomorrow and I'm wondering what should I do to properly check if its in great working order and stable etc etc??

An example is that I previously owned a 3080 aorus xtreme which was great on benchmarks and temps but it needed underclocking to manage to play some games.

I dont want to get a card with the similar issue and I'm scared based on the price that I'm buying it.

Permabanned
Heaven and Valley, it is better built than the AiB's and they should all be similar good silicon like previous FE's.

I can game at 2200mhz Core in non RTX games.

Permabanned
So you think one single run is jot enough to show potential issues??

You said gaming so F the mining.

Run 3 loops each of what I suggested and that is plenty, the thermal pads are not the best but should not throttle in gaming if you have decent case/airflow.

Then just forget about it and game.

Associate
Hello

I'm about to buy a slightly used 3090 FE for a really REALLY good price tomorrow and I'm wondering what should I do to properly check if its in great working order and stable etc etc??

An example is that I previously owned a 3080 aorus xtreme which was great on benchmarks and temps but it needed underclocking to manage to play some games.

I dont want to get a card with the similar issue and I'm scared based on the price that I'm buying it.

If its less then what that high street store is offering for it then go for it! as long as it powers on and doesn't die straight away you can always flip it if there are any underlying issues.
Which leads to my question, why is this person selling it to you for a VERY good price? Unless they are a good friend I would defo question this, and the fact that you are asking this questions I am assuming you are having the same thoughts?

Associate
OP
If its less then what that high street store is offering for it then go for it! as long as it powers on and doesn't die straight away you can always flip it if there are any underlying issues.
Which leads to my question, why is this person selling it to you for a VERY good price? Unless they are a good friend I would defo question this, and the fact that you are asking this questions I am assuming you are having the same thoughts?
Exactly what you said.
By really good price I mean based on the average ebayer/scalper prices. Its only £100 over the msrp and the guy was looking for a quick sale.

Associate
OP
You said gaming so F the mining.

Run 3 loops each of what I suggested and that is plenty, the thermal pads are not the best but should not throttle in gaming if you have decent case/airflow.

Then just forget about it and game.
Will do mate, thank you

Associate
How does the card not have warranty? Is the seller not willing to assist with this?
Outside of a popular auction site, I have seen used FE3090s sell for £1900 in minutes, how far away is your figure from that?

Associate
Here's another perspective. I've played with a 3090FE for a few months. Benchmarks won't show you the whole story, especially if they don't involve ray tracing. They load the GPU but not the rest of your system, it all adds heat which is the ultimate constraint. Mine will do benchmarks and optane renders at 100% GPU usage all day without breaking sweat.

Others on the forum suggest that Quake 2 rtx is a killer, I don't own it, not tried it. Load the card while gaming, run HWinfo in the background and check the core and vram temps. Play recent games with rtx like control or cyberpunk. The default fan curve seems to spin up at 70 core and 100 vram.

The 3090Fe heatsinks dump heat very quickly, take the load off and the temps plummet but you need good case airflow. I've got an airflow case with 3 ML140s in the front, one in the back and a 360 AIO in the roof with 2000 rpm noctuas. It's all controlled by Argus monitor according to the 3090 core temp. I can run mine hard all day at high 60s core and high 90s vram, GPU fans never exceed 50%.

I'm running the card at 900/1950. The default curve is genitals.

Back
Top Bottom