• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Chip shortage until 2023

Associate
I would also add that when the mining crash happens there will be plenty of cards available

Not sure I’d buy an ex mining card. Bought a 2nd rx480 off eBay which had definitely been a mining card. Wouldn’t hit boost clocks and crashed constantly. Manually under clocking the card by about 25% helped but still wasn’t great

Soldato
Not sure I’d buy an ex mining card. Bought a 2nd rx480 off eBay which had definitely been a mining card. Wouldn’t hit boost clocks and crashed constantly. Manually under clocking the card by about 25% helped but still wasn’t great

I wouldn't touch a mined card with a bargepole too and would never mine on my cards even if it went to £100k a coin, my cards are worth more to me for my use than this silly mining and the future of getting hardware easily to replace hardware that gets damaged or fails is not worth the risks to me. The future is clear with gpus now they will be shockingly priced from now on and hard to get and the market has shown they are willing to pay double or tripple or more than msrp for them, so the next generation will be priced a lot higher going forward.

Anyone thinks this is not so well enjoy your pre order queues in the future as we have seen people are still in them 8 months on for this generation and then getting them cancelled in the end in some cases, so waiting almost a year for nothing.

I can't do that I need my hardware for my work not gaming and at the time I need an upgrade or to replace anything I will have to pay the market rate at the time and bite my tongue. I have been in I.T for over 35 years now and have seen these things happen in the past for certain hardware and even back then had to bite my tongue and just get on with it and same for companies I had to buy hardware for, I remember a time we had contracts with clients that ended up costing us 3-5 times more out of our pockets to complete due to hardware shooting up in price and this was decades ago.

We are going threw that cycle again now and will take a good few years to get back to some form or "normality" if you can call it normal by then as the new normal will be again higher prices, which will become the norm. Like now people think the 3090 at £1400 was a bargain before this it was a ripoff. People now are paying more for a 3080 than what a 3090 cost and 6900xt now is a £1600+ card for a card that was less than £1k for a good model and 3090s have gone up almost £500-£1k if not more for certain models and still selling out in a blink of an eye.

Last edited:
Associate
I wouldn't touch a mined card with a bargepole too and would never mine on my cards even if it went to £100k a coin, my cards are worth more to me for my use than this silly mining and the future of getting hardware easily to replace hardware that gets damaged or fails is not worth the risks to me. The future is clear with gpus now they will be shockingly priced from now on and hard to get and the market has shown they are willing to pay double or tripple or more than msrp for them, so the next generation will be priced a lot higher going forward.

Anyone thinks this is not so well enjoy your pre order queues in the future as we have seen people are still in them 8 months on for this generation and then getting them cancelled in the end in some cases, so waiting almost a year for nothing.

I can't do that I need my hardware for my work not gaming and at the time I need an upgrade or to replace anything I will have to pay the market rate at the time and bite my tongue. I have been in I.T for over 35 years now and have seen these things happen in the past for certain hardware and even back then had to bite my tongue and just get on with it and same for companies I had to buy hardware for, I remember a time we had contracts with clients that ended up costing us 3-5 times more out of our pockets to complete due to hardware shooting up in price and this was decades ago.

We are going threw that cycle again now and will take a good few years to get back to some form or "normality" if you can call it normal by then as the new normal will be again higher prices, which will become the norm. Like now people think the 3090 at £1400 was a bargain before this it was a ripoff. People now are paying more for a 3080 than what a 3090 cost and 6900xt now is a £1600+ card for a card that was less than £1k for a good model and 3090s have gone up almost £500-£1k if not more for certain models and still selling out in a blink of an eye.

It is a bit mad.

Funny really just as PC gaming starts picking up again it will die off just as fast with prices like these.

I got involved this time (buying a 6700XT) only becUse my 5700XT had gone up in price so much, ordinarily I wouldn't pay these prices, there isn't really any logic in it when consoles are only £450.

Back
Top Bottom