Poll: Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2021, Imola - Race 2/23

Rate the 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dup

Dup

Soldato
In Russell's defence he's clearly feeling the pressure to get some points on the board, especially in that car. But no excuse for that kind of response. Heat of the moment aside, drivers should be programmed to see it payed back before they point any fingers but I guess a bit of drama gets people talking about F1 I guess.

Bottas was clearly going backwards regardless and there was no real pressure from behind at that point. He could have saved it like Prost instead of throwing it away like Senna.

Happy for Norris though, second would have been sweet but clearly the car and tyre wasn't there for him. He needs to be less hard on himself because he handled that pressure well.

If Toto falls out with Russell, maybe he could stick Stroll in that other Merc. Last season and so far he's clearly looking like a consistent safe pair of hands. He's matured well, shame the cars not quite up there like it was last year.

Soldato
30 seconds seems harsh.
What was the rule that caused Vettel to get a 10 second penalty yesterday?
I haven't watched a race in about 2 years, and it's been nearer 5 since I've watched it religiously. Once the track was drying, it seems it's the same old stuff. Only interesting if it's raining...

DRS is not fun to watch, and it definitely robbed Norris of 2nd.

Russell seems like a grade a bell. Would have been way more interesting throughout if he didn't exist.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm feeling seriously worried for him. He just hella f'd up and defiantly needs to apologize. He's in a privileged position and threatening to throw it away.

Worst of all I don't even think that George's argument is entierly wrong, he just needs to understand that the aggression he showed out of the car was unacceptable.

I think once cooler heads have come to the fore George will likely own up and say there was no fault on Bottas's side and it was all him. I think there was enough room, just, but George got spooked a little when Bottas just kept coming over and got on the grass.

Caporegime
The worst bit about the incident s how Russell Acted afterwards.

Slapping bottas in the head before he's out of the car in a serious incident like that should be dealt with somehow.

As for the 'racing indent' I agree in that one. Slightly more Russell. But racing incident for sure.

Great recliner Hamilton. Great drive by norris and verstappen.

As for my team. Alpine are garbage this year.
It's early days but my fears about alonso seem like they might be correct

Soldato
Great race! Really back in to F1 now after a few years away.

It's getting interesting again.

Lewis really showing his skill & experience. For some reason some people dislike him, he seems a down to earth guy to me.

I actually want him to win the championship this year to get 8 titles, will make him very hard to beat, and beat Schumachers record.

Saying that, F1 drivers are getting younger, so one day someone may get 9 titles. Likely Max if he stays in for another 12 years or so after Lewis retires.

Man of Honour

Slapping bottas in the head before he's out of the car in a serious incident like that should be dealt with somehow.

As for the 'racing indent' I agree in that one. Slightly more Russell. But racing incident for sure.

Great recliner Hamilton. Great drive by norris and verstappen.

As for my team. Alpine are garbage this year.
It's early days but my fears about alonso seem like they might be correct

Alpine do look pretty dire, especially considering how decent they looked at time last year, a lot of drivers who swapped teams appear to be struggling a bit v their teammate though (Ricciardo v Norris, Sainz v Leclerc, Perez v Max) so I'm not surprised Alonso is doing the same, it was always going to take some time, he's admitted he doesn't fully trust the car yet.

Caporegime

Going and remonstrating with the other driver is shoddy behaviour, but forgivable in the moment IMO.

I doubt Bottas even felt it. There's no real force behind the blow, Bottas's head doesn't visibly move, and he's wearing a helmet designed to keep the driver safe in a hundred mile an hour crash. Again, shoddy behaviour, but hardly a serious incident.

Caporegime
Another incident strewn Imola race. I do wonder how it'll hold up in a dry race though, there wasn't exactly much action outside of the DRS zone.

Mixed weekends for both Mercedes and Red Bull. Hamilton was faster than Max through most of the race and quali, although his gravel trap antics robbed us of the chance to see them wheel to wheel, his recovery drive here could be a defining moment of the championship. Red Bull come away from two races where they should have put water between them and Mercedes and instead they're a point behind, but Hamilton must feel he didn't maximise the weekend. But where the first drivers showed their quality, the second drivers struggled. Bottas was dire, even before the incident with Russell he was well off the pace, having fluffed quali he showed, again, that he can't drive through the field. Hamilton's recovery to 2nd made this all the more stark. Pérez's qualifying performance showed he could get the performance out of the car, but he was very poor in the race and Red Bull will need him to get points if they are to beat Merc in the WCC.

This was a weekend for the new guard. Max winning, Norris 3rd well ahead of Ricciardo, Leclerc 4th. Stroll outclassing Vettel. Ocon edging out Alonso. And, yes, Russell's mistake ruined his race and ended Bottas's but he got that Williams in position to challenge a Merc for genuine position. That's impressive. He badly needs to capitalise on these situations though, because he's beginning to earn a reputation as a driver who fluffs their chances: twice in Imola alone he's thrown away good points winning chances. Norris had a blinder. Keep this up and he'll properly embarrass Ricciardo this season. Dani needs to improve if he's to maintain his reputation. Ferrari vs. McLaren looks like it's going to be a fine battle for 3rd place in the WCC.

Alfa and Alpha had weekends to forget. Foolish mistakes cost both Alfas points, Yuki's inexperience showed in mistakes in quali and the race, and Gasly's race was ruined by a bad tyre choice that they took inexplicably long to fix. Alpha look to have a car that could be tangling for the best of the race slots but they've squandered it two races running now. They need to improve if they're to make the most of their season.

Williams had an expensive disaster. Haas are a liability. Alpine and Aston look to have gone a long way backwards from last season.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Apologies for the delay, I spent the day down the beach and didn't watch the race until late last night.

I've now added the poll :cool:

Caporegime
Going and remonstrating with the other driver is shoddy behaviour, but forgivable in the moment IMO.

I doubt Bottas even felt it. There's no real force behind the blow, Bottas's head doesn't visibly move, and he's wearing a helmet designed to keep the driver safe in a hundred mile an hour crash. Again, shoddy behaviour, but hardly a serious incident.

I agree on both counts. It's a shame he hadn't cooled off by post race. He should apologise IMO. Would have a lot of respect for that.

Shame about alpine. I'm less bothered than I would have been a few years ago. I definitely feel less connected to a team than I used to. Years ago I'd have turned off when Renault had a double DNF. Now as I watch highlights I'll watch to the end just hoping for some action.

Still a shame about drs. But it is required. Which sucks.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

That's why I love the highlights. Summer is too nice to be spoilt by staying in during best part of the day!
I watched the opening few laps on the beach but I take your point.

After having F1TV Pro, I wouldn't go back to highlights now.

Caporegime
I watched the opening few laps on the beach but I take your point.

After having F1TV Pro, I wouldn't go back to highlights now.

Just noticed you are in Wales too!
Was a beautiful weekend!

Yeah once sky lose their exclusivity deal I'll likely get it if f1 is going on the right direction

Soldato
I love a good spat between drivers. It's more a racing incident than anyone's fault, I can see the arguments on both sides, spicy stuff!

I really enjoyed that race, props to Norris for holding back Hamilton for as long as he did, great job considering the tyres and him whacking the clutch lol.

Well deserved win for Max.

8/10

Man of Honour
Awesome race :) Great recovery drive from Ham

It's gonna sound a bit biased because it affected Ham the most today, but I feel it's a bit stupid how the leaders have to go off the racing line to lap cars. In these kind of conditions, slicks on a wet track, why do the leaders have to risk going into the damp rather than the lapped car? It shouldn't happen, regardless of who is leading.

Also shoutout to Perez. What an idiot. Bins it and thinks he's allowed to reassume his position? You'd expect that from a rookie but not someone in the sport for a decade.

Associate
What I would give for even a fraction of Hamilton's luck. If the race wasn't red flagged he would have been a lap down with no hope of getting near the podium.

Back
Top Bottom