• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Caporegime
Just seen the Vega 56 I bought for 299 3 years ago is fetching near £600 2nd hand. Absolutely crazy.
But why tho? You can get a 3060 Ti for that money, which is a) new and b) faster in everything...

Why would anyone spend £600 on a 2nd-hand Vega 56? Gamer or miner?

Soldato
But why tho? You can get a 3060 Ti for that money, which is a) new and b) faster in everything...

Where can you get a 3060 Ti for £600 though? They're going for over £1000 on Ebay currently. You can camp stock alerts all day every day of course, but even that's no guarantee of anything as they sell out within seconds.

Associate

3060ti and 3080 are liking rocking horse poo as they are the best cards for mining you show me a site other than eBay where I can buy either of those cards right now?

Soldato
I sold a fully watercooled system, ryzen 6 core with a vega 56 in it for less than what v56's are selling for on their own about a year ago....crazy.

Genuinely think the best value route atm is laptops, bought my son a 2060 laptop off ocuk for not much more than desktop 2060s are being sold for on their own.

I want to build another desktop at some point but no chance am I doing that anytime soon.

Associate
There is so much scammers, fake websites , false descriptions on ebay, it's a mine field out there.

Weather is getting Better, it's time to go outside , I'll be back late September October For winter, then I try again.

Inside bad outside good.

Associate
Never was really, doing a fair bit of 3D and archviz as bit on the side, 11gb Vram I currently have are not enough for large work (so same for large games when they will go upwards due of capabilities of PS5 in terms of shared RAM vs a 10gb card, simple texturing here you do not need MIT to do calculation for you) and at £650 for a xx80 class for me never had value, if they offered 16gb at that price tag then yes (considering the little extra they cost per chip vs their margins), still an 80 class but at least one could count on using it for a longer period of time, for the way they are these cards are artificially meant to last less, forcing an upgrade sooner rather than later or lower your texture quality after having spent nearly 700 quid. Well...another tentative from Nvidia, after 20xx fiasco, to look good yet take the same money from you, no surprise here.

Anything below the 3080 is even worse, 3070 is a total joke and so is 3060, talking about value VS the previous generations, which after all were the one that avoided the demise of PC as gaming platform, now back on the table as it was in early 2000s for whoever remembers it as an adult.

Steam hardware survey still paint the picture of what PC gamers buy in masses, enthusiasts means nothing to a platform in terms of devs support, if numbers aren't there, and with majority having 10xx as last series that offered value, we all already saw that no special support was offered for RTX on PC (again same as early 2000s and the most in-famous word of EPIC CEO on fragmentation).

I will keep my 1080ti, I have invested in an ultrawide 1440p which offers a more unique experience than just a simple 4k monitor, I really do not understand why this is not "standard" on PC even at 1080p as the experience is a different level, and seen Steam 4K still a way too small percentage on PC thanks to the daylight robbery that 20xx was (and its little sales) and 30xx which is only marginally better (sales there are all to miners anyway) but still horrible value.

Honestly it makes zero sense to upgrade, lower your settings as you would do with a 3070 in a year time anyway considering the 8gig...

I am more sorry for people that have to upgrade for other reasons and cannot wait!

You hear so much nonsense on tech forums, then you look at numbers and like with 20xx the only people who really purchased them were people smashing keyboards on forum for how "great" the cards were and "how high demand was" with bottom line sales laughable for a platform and zero support as these MSRP aren't really good market value to be used only for gaming, even more so now competing with quite beefy consoles.

Then as with anything people are free to see value in things even if they have none objectively :)

V F

V F

Soldato
There is so much scammers, fake websites , false descriptions on ebay, it's a mine field out there.

Weather is getting Better, it's time to go outside , I'll be back late September October For winter, then I try again.

Inside bad outside good.

Yes but there is also night time and wet days.

Associate
You would feel pretty sick right now if, just as COVID hit, you'd blown a load of cash on a lovely new gaming build but you were waiting for the new gen GPU rush to settle down before you pulled the trigger on a 3070 (or maybe even push the boat out and get a 3080) and, because of that, had now been stuck an extra year with a badly ageing R9 280x.

Bottleneck anyone?

Why is there no sad crying emoji on here! FML...

Associate
You would feel pretty sick right now if, just as COVID hit, you'd blown a load of cash on a lovely new gaming build but you were waiting for the new gen GPU rush to settle down before you pulled the trigger on a 3070 (or maybe even push the boat out and get a 3080) and, because of that, had now been stuck an extra year with a badly ageing R9 280x.

Bottleneck anyone?

Why is there no sad crying emoji on here! FML...

I feel your pain... you have just described my situation here... altough instead of a R9 280x, I have a 770 which rattles so bad that my girlfriend complains every time I play... It would have been funny to see the GPU struggling at 100% while the CPU is at 10%, if this hadn't been going on for almost half a year now...

I am still disappointed for having missed last week's FE drop, and the one one before that almost two months ago now, even when I was on the PC and I was trying to buy them from minute 1... I actually am so ****** off by now that shouldn't I had a fair ammount of non compatible hardware (Simracing wheel, pedals, shifter, Joystick, rudder pedals, cameras...), I would sell the PC and buy myself a PS or Xbox really.

Associate
I feel your pain... you have just described my situation here... altough instead of a R9 280x, I have a 770 which rattles so bad that my girlfriend complains every time I play... It would have been funny to see the GPU struggling at 100% while the CPU is at 10%, if this hadn't been going on for almost half a year now...

I am still disappointed for having missed last week's FE drop, and the one one before that almost two months ago now, even when I was on the PC and I was trying to buy them from minute 1... I actually am so ****** off by now that shouldn't I had a fair ammount of non compatible hardware (Simracing wheel, pedals, shifter, Joystick, rudder pedals, cameras...), I would sell the PC and buy myself a PS or Xbox really.

And I feel like if we're waiting for prices to get anywhere near 'normal' we may be waiting another year. Or more. Or maybe forever...

Back
Top Bottom