How do I control my EK RGB?

Soldato
In my loop, all the EK RGB stuff plugs into the motherboard. The board is asus, there is also a couple lighting strips

So far the only way I've managed to get it not just show rainbow vomit is to use Asus Armory Crate, but that software is quite rubbish - it won't let me change the brightness or set multiple colors

What do I do?

Soldato
Agreed, Armoury Crate isn't great. I downloaded Aura and use that instead. It's still flaky as hell and sometimes stops working for no apparent reason. I recently had to uninstall all the software and then reinstall it to get it working again. Don't get your hopes up.

Soldato
OP
Agreed, Armoury Crate isn't great. I downloaded Aura and use that instead. It's still flaky as hell and sometimes stops working for no apparent reason. I recently had to uninstall all the software and then reinstall it to get it working again. Don't get your hopes up.

Does Aura let you set multiple fixed colors on the blocks and/or light strips?

I did try various Asus software, I tried the old Aura Sync and the old Asus Aura (both these were failures, the software failed to detect any devices to control)

I also tried the OpenRGB software, however it crashes while running its device detection

Soldato
Not user to be honest. I have a bunch of ARGB fans running off a cheapo Chinese controller and the EK stuff connected to an Asus IX Formula via the 12v mobo connector and a splitter. Aura is setting the connector and motherboard lighting to breathing red and because they're all off one header they all run the same colour scheme.

RGB is all a mess really. At least two standards, many different solutions and little ability to get a consistent look unless all the gear comes from one company. And even then the software is often buggy and bloated.

Soldato
OP
Nothing seems to work other than Armory.

I've tried a few different bits of software and all seem to have the same issues: They either crash when I try to open them or the open but cannot detect any RGB devices

Soldato
Most RGB control software from motherboard manufacturers is utter gash.
The best ones tend to be for those with standalone controllers - Corsair iCUE is pretty great and there's a lot you can do with it, but it takes a LOT of time and fiddling.
Aquasuite has very good RGB control incorporated into it, but again requires buying at least one control hub (Farbwerk, Quadro, Octo, etc) and a few 3-pin adapters for any standard ARGB devices you have.

Soldato
OP
Most RGB control software from motherboard manufacturers is utter gash.
The best ones tend to be for those with standalone controllers - Corsair iCUE is pretty great and there's a lot you can do with it, but it takes a LOT of time and fiddling.
Aquasuite has very good RGB control incorporated into it, but again requires buying at least one control hub (Farbwerk, Quadro, Octo, etc) and a few 3-pin adapters for any standard ARGB devices you have.

icue is fine, but I have EKWB pumps and blocks, not corsair

Soldato
I initially bought a "Cooler Master Small RGB Controller C10 with 4-Pin Ports - Easy & Quick RGB" which meant I could set the effect I wanted and forget it. Once I then had a mobo that could do 12v RGB I then started my fight with RGB software and for me, it's a combination of Armory Crate + AI Suite + Aura ++prayer.

Soldato
OP
I initially bought a "Cooler Master Small RGB Controller C10 with 4-Pin Ports - Easy & Quick RGB" which meant I could set the effect I wanted and forget it. Once I then had a mobo that could do 12v RGB I then started my fight with RGB software and for me, it's a combination of Armory Crate + AI Suite + Aura ++prayer.

AI Suite won't install, I'm not the only one apparently - newest windows update broke something.
Aura installs but fails to detect any RGB devices, not even my ASUS motherboard - it really is a complete mess

Soldato
OP
I use Corsair iCUE with a Commander Pro for All my EK-ARGB and EK pump speed.

Just need to buy 3-pin ARGB to corsair ComPro cable

Can you link me to the cable you used?

is one command pro enough for the or do I need two?

1 argb ek cpu block
1 argb ek gpu block
1 argb ek flow indicator
1 argb ek pump
2 argb cable mod light strips

and which connector on the command pro do these all go into or does it not matter?

Soldato
Corsair RGB to 3-pin Standard ARGB 5v Male Adapter on the bay

Tru3tDR.jpg

The ComPro has only 2 extra ARGB channels
I've used a splitter similar to this one here:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...-splitter-cable-extension-50cm-cb-12u-ak.html

and then used two of the 3-pin to corsair cables.

To control thee EK pump, simply plug the PWM connector into one of the fan headers on the ComPro. Works much better if u have temp sensors for the cooling fluid

Soldato
OP
Corsair RGB to 3-pin Standard ARGB 5v Male Adapter on the bay

Tru3tDR.jpg

The ComPro has only 2 channels
I've used a splitter similar to this one here:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/akas...-splitter-cable-extension-50cm-cb-12u-ak.html

and then used two of the 3-pin to corsair cables.

To control thee EK pump, simply plug the PWM connector into one of the fan headers on the ComPro. Works much better if u have temp sensors for the cooling fluid

Oh ok. I want each device to have per LED light control. So it sounds like I'll need a minimum of 3 COM PRO's? - damn that's going to be expensive.

Soldato
OP
No, you can use the much cheaper lighting node pros

I see the lighting node pro, it's only $5 cheaper for me than the commander pro. But if there isn't any feature loss that I need the ln it's fine cause it's smaller and saves space. I control my pump speed and fan speed in the bios.

So maybe two of the node pros which gives 4 channels.

Back
Top Bottom