Happy St George's Day 2021

Don
I think we're close to the final warning stage already. Any more antagonistic posts, from either side, and people will be thread banned. If you have a problem with any post then report it and we'll deal with it, don't reply and further antagonise the situation.

Soldato
It's a real shame that the pub I'd usually go to isn't open. In the past they would put on food and have Morris dancers outside putting on a bit of a show (one year had a particularly comical George & Dragon thing going on).

Good fun, nice atmosphere and good ale. Very civilised in fact. :D

Soldato
It's a real shame that the pub I'd usually go to isn't open. In the past they would put on food and have Morris dancers outside putting on a bit of a show (one year had a particularly comical George & Dragon thing going on).

No pig roast by me this year :(
I hope next year will be better :)

Soldato

That sounds lovely, i'd love to experience that properly at least once in my life. Where abouts are you?

Soldato
That sounds lovely, i'd love to experience that properly at least once in my life. Where abouts are you?
I'm on the edge of SE London and Kent.

It's quite unusual really considering the area but there are still some traditional old pubs around. Normally you'd only expect that sort of thing out in the country villages.

I'm sure there are probably more substantial events held every year but the issue is getting home if you're having a beer.

I remember being told a while back that Morris Dancing was endangered as they were struggling to attract younger people to it. I suppose you do look a bit silly in the act but that's part of the fun! That's one thing I like about these national days, good excuse to dig out and enjoy some of the more obscure traditions. :D

Soldato
Many years ago I was part of a group that put up St Georges day flags around the towns local to me. Everyone liked them... except the council.

When the council people turned up to take the flags down people had gathered assuming they had put them up. When they saw they were taking them down people become very rowdy, including throwing things and shaking the ladder. The council men had to retreat and drive off.

Roll on to 2021 I'm pleased to report that the council along with many local businesses in this area are all putting up St Georges flags on every lamp post and shop.

So have a happy St Georges day to everyone!

Soldato
I'm on the edge of SE London and Kent.

It's quite unusual really considering the area but there are still some traditional old pubs around. Normally you'd only expect that sort of thing out in the country villages.

I'm sure there are probably more substantial events held every year but the issue is getting home if you're having a beer.

I remember being told a while back that Morris Dancing was endangered as they were struggling to attract younger people to it. I suppose you do look a bit silly in the act but that's part of the fun! That's one thing I like about these national days, good excuse to dig out and enjoy some of the more obscure traditions. :D

my mum does morris dancing, i’ve seen very good perfomances over the years including the george and dragon one. I live in Bexley and i assume you do as well or near here.

Soldato
OP

That's how it should be!!!!

Soldato
"It's St George's Day" isn't really news though is it? I don't recall seeing St Patrick's, St Andrew's or St David's either on the BBC.

They're running a musical celebration on BBC Four and some kids related programming on the kids channels, as they did for St David's Day and St Patrick's Day last month and St Andrew's day last year - i'm not sure what else people would be expecting to see plastered over the front page of the BBC? :p

The biggest problem St George's Day has is not really having a popular tradition to follow for it. St Patricks is only celebrated by most because it's pretty much been coopted by Guinness as a marketing ploy.

Permabanned
I did read in the media they wanted to try stop celebrating this day (typical cancel culture PC BS).

St-George-8.jpg

Happy St. George's Day from a fellow Scot/Brit. :)

Back
Top Bottom