Race report: 'UK not deliberately rigged against ethnic minorities'

Associate
Also about this.

Part of your claim is that mis-pronouncing your name was purposefully done to wind you up, but then you say 99% of English people "can't" pronounce it correctly anyhow...

Presumably that's because they're too dumb to get it right?

But, given that, how can you bring a claim of harassment when by your own words these dumb English people "can't" pronounce your name right anyhow?

'Mispronouncing someone’s name, accidentally or on purpose, at the very least demonstrates a selective laziness to learn the correct way to address or acknowledge a person. The name is perceived as particularly difficult only because it’s beyond the white European names that have been deemed normal. (For some reason, an effort can be made for a white person with an unusual name, as Hasan Minhaj explained while on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” in 2019. “They’re always like, ‘I’m so sorry, I can’t pronounce it. Meet my son, Higsby Witherthrottle III!’” he said. “If you can pronounce Ansel Elgort, you can pronounce Hasan Minhaj.”)'

Also the issue I explained wasn't simply saying my name wrong, but one manager deciding to make a scene out of it when other people actually said it right. If they could get it right then so could he.

Caporegime
'Mispronouncing someone’s name, accidentally or on purpose, at the very least demonstrates a selective laziness to learn the correct way to address or acknowledge a person. The name is perceived as particularly difficult only because it’s beyond the white European names that have been deemed normal. (For some reason, an effort can be made for a white person with an unusual name, as Hasan Minhaj explained while on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” in 2019. “They’re always like, ‘I’m so sorry, I can’t pronounce it. Meet my son, Higsby Witherthrottle III!’” he said. “If you can pronounce Ansel Elgort, you can pronounce Hasan Minhaj.”)'
More white bashing. But it's clearly not racist to do so.

So now "99% of the English" are either lazy, racist, or too dumb to pronounce it correctly.

Good job not being racist, fella.

Associate
More white bashing. But it's clearly not racist to do so.

So now "99% of the English" are either lazy, racist, or too dumb to pronounce it correctly.

Good job not being racist, fella.

Show me exactly where I said that.

I specifically said 'people with an English accent'.

Nice try to try and bring me down to your level though, maybe try not failing at it in the future.

Personally I don't even define 'English' as 'White'.

Not one of my comments here has been judgemental towards white people.

I would equally take offense to a non white person doing the same thing, or if a white person was having it done to them.

However the vast majority of these cases are harassment of people with non western names, and quite a number of such victims are also white.

I would be perfectly happy to be addressed / called by a number instead of a name if that makes it easier for others.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I once had a best mate called Kuljit and for some reason I could never say it how he thought I should be saying it, I would say Cool Geet, but nope he would say no it's whatever, sounded the same as to what I thought I was saying though.
Another mate had the surname Diamond and I could never say it properly either, always comes out Dimend due to what I've been told is

colloquialism
/kəˈləʊkwɪəlɪz(ə)m/

noun
plural noun: colloquialisms
  1. a word or phrase that is not formal or literary and is used in ordinary or familiar conversation.
    "the colloquialisms of the streets"
    • the use of colloquialisms.
      "speech allows for colloquialism and slang"

or something along those lines lol

Associate
Well tell us your name then, for all we know the boss couldn't say Kevin or something?

I wont because of that exact reason. When I do mention all this along with my actual name, people think theres no way my name is that difficult and don't believe me. Yet IRL everyone needs to ask how to say or spell it, or mispronounce it purposefully with 'Is your name %£!^!^?'

As far as any future professional stuff is concerned, my name is now Brendon.

Soldato
Do you know how rare that is? In 25 years in the IT industry, having interviewed at dozens of places from large multinational organizations to dinky indie creative studios, I can only count twice where I was interviewed by more than one person at the same time.
erm what?

Most of my interviews and the interviews of people that i know have been with at least 2 people. Being interviewed by only 1 person is rare but that could just be my field of work.

Man of Honour
Do you know how rare that is? In 25 years in the IT industry, having interviewed at dozens of places from large multinational organizations to dinky indie creative studios, I can only count twice where I was interviewed by more than one person at the same time.

Conversely I can't remember the last time I was interviewed by one person. In my last place of work no interviews were allowed to be conducted with one person, and if there was any connection between the interviewer and interviewee then the second interviewer has to be from a different department or HR.

RDM

RDM

Soldato

Also the issue I explained wasn't simply saying my name wrong, but one manager deciding to make a scene out of it when other people actually said it right. If they could get it right then so could he.

It is more to do with familiarity. I have a reasonably unusual surname and as such always end up spelling it and hardly anyone pronounces it right. This is because it is unusual, not because people are being racist towards me.

I don't really care, mostly these days I don't even correct it just say "Close enough" if they are vaguely in the right area.

Associate
It is more to do with familiarity. I have a reasonably unusual surname and as such always end up spelling it and hardly anyone pronounces it right. This is because it is unusual, not because people are being racist towards me.

I don't really care, mostly these days I don't even correct it just say "Close enough" if they are vaguely in the right area.

It doesn't bother me when people simply mispronounce my name - it bothers me when managers with a chip on their shoulder want to make a large massive scene out of it just because they think doing so is funny.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
It doesn't bother me when people simply mispronounce my name - it bothers me when managers with a chip on their shoulder want to make a large massive scene out of it just because they think doing so is funny.

Are they doing it because they are racist or are they doing it because they are being a knob?

Man of Honour
Are they doing it because they are racist or are they doing it because they are being a knob?

Their motivation is largely irrelevant. The perception of the victim or other employees trumps it as to whether it's a problem or not, especially when the behaviour is ongoing.

Soldato
If the bar is that low then hiring minorities is a risk employers will refuse to take.
A quick skim over someone's social media is a good indicator as to whether they are going to be a boat-rocking pain or not. :D

I suppose as a small business there's already enough drama and risk. All you need is some perceived slight in bad faith and a court case to make you go under.

Last edited:
Soldato
erm what?

Most of my interviews and the interviews of people that i know have been with at least 2 people. Being interviewed by only 1 person is rare but that could just be my field of work.
The only place I've interviewed at with just a single interviewer was my current job. Every other interview I've ever done has been 2 or more people

Soldato

I can't imagine anyone with an "English accent" going abroad and being offended because someone mispronounced their name, or being confused and finding them racist because they didn't make the effort to learn how to correctly pronounce a name that is outside of their cultural norm. Maybe just stop being so soft. If you're in the UK and have a name that isn't common here because it has roots within a different culture then people will pronounce it wrong sometimes. I have a friend from Norway I speak to a lot, do you imagine I pronounce her name 100% correctly when I speak it despite my best efforts? It has symbols in it such as Ø that we don't even use here.

Back
Top Bottom