Mercedes Benz and AMG Owners

Soldato
Anyone know how to turn off the announcement for rerouting due to traffic conditions? I can of course mute her completely but I just want to turn that announcement off...

Google fu is failing me and cannot find an ex employee, VP or above, to ask.

Soldato
So not sure if this has been done, but for this with AMG Merc's, who 'Hand Crafted' your engine?

Mine was done by this chap or chapess
XK8Iiv4.jpg

This is the actual Joachim Schmidt who built your engine!

BEMX7CsCEAITqxe

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Ordered a CLA AMG 35 Shooting Brake in January, originally meant to be an April delivery. Now they are saying there’s still no allocation and likely will be July before it’s allocated. Probably an August/September delivery. Bah!

It was between this and a BMW 320i M Sport Tourer so may see how long it’ll take for BMW to get me one of them.
The 320i is slow and has a dreary engine note to go with it. Surely a 330i at least if you've ordered the CLA 35 AMG?

Soldato
It’s a company car arrangement, albeit not really, so I’m limited by their list and monthly payments (mainly driven by the value in 3 years time).

The 330i is far too expensive (around 50% more than the CLA per month), whereas the 320i is 20% cheaper.

I deliberated for a while over what to get and the CLA 35 was the best choice and I guess a few more months isn’t that bad, just fancy something sooner!

Man of Honour
It’s a company car arrangement, albeit not really, so I’m limited by their list and monthly payments (mainly driven by the value in 3 years time).

The 330i is far too expensive (around 50% more than the CLA per month), whereas the 320i is 20% cheaper.

I deliberated for a while over what to get and the CLA 35 was the best choice and I guess a few more months isn’t that bad, just fancy something sooner!

I'd stick with the CLA. The 3 series is a better car but the engine in the CLA is considerably better than the 320i and unlike the CLA of old it's hardly a bad car, the interior and infotainment is absolutely excellent.

Associate
We are looking to buy a used A200. With the Mercedes warranty, what kind of limits are there on age/mileage? We are looking to buy from a franchise Mercedes so will come come a year but wondered how long that could be extended for?

Our current Mini is 7 years old with 60K and we can still buy the official manufacturer warranty each year. Hoping Mercedes offer similar?

Man of Honour
It is run by the same underwriter as the BMW/Mini scheme so I'd imagine the terms are similar - that is no age limit but a big price jump at 60k miles.

If buying a used A200 ensure it's a 2018 or newer as it's about 300% better a car than the previous A200.

Man of Honour
My E220D AMG Line went back last week after 30 months of lease (I extended it for 6 months) so thought I would write a summary of the car.

It was a lease car, £3000 down and £314 a month for 24 months then circa £260 (I think) for the last 6 months. That worked out cheaper than it would have done had I bought it brand new, even with a sizeable discount at the time I leased it (I explored that route).

It was fundamentally a decent car, nice to sit in with a nice interior and decent enough spec (I added noting but black paint). It did not drive that well, the steering was lifeless, the brakes lacked any real feel and it wallowed along compared to a BMW 5 series and even an A6, both of which I had access to during my E Class ownership. In the driving stakes it came third to those but it was on most surfaces smooth, quiet and easy to live with which is exactly what I wanted.

Run flat tyres and poor damping did make it a REAL pain on bad surfaces and would corrupt the ride quite badly. It was also not very fast but again more than enough 99% of the time. It stood up well when attacked by a 3 series Christmas before last and bar the odd bonnet sensor telling me the bonnet was open (just slam it from 5000000 feet fixed that) and the seatbelt sensor sometimes not noticing you were actually wearing your seatbelt, it was pretty faultless too.

I shall replace it in due course when the world starts moving again but would not buy / rent another. Sat Nav is dire though, just hated the entry of stuff to the extent I would stick it in the MB App and send it to the car....from the drivers seat!

Now I read that back it wasn’t very thorough a road test.

7/10

Soldato
My E220D AMG Line went back last week after 30 months of lease (I extended it for 6 months) so thought I would write a summary of the car.

It was a lease car, £3000 down and £314 a month for 24 months then circa £260 (I think) for the last 6 months. That worked out cheaper than it would have done had I bought it brand new, even with a sizeable discount at the time I leased it (I explored that route).

It was fundamentally a decent car, nice to sit in with a nice interior and decent enough spec (I added noting but black paint). It did not drive that well, the steering was lifeless, the brakes lacked any real feel and it wallowed along compared to a BMW 5 series and even an A6, both of which I had access to during my E Class ownership. In the driving stakes it came third to those but it was on most surfaces smooth, quiet and easy to live with which is exactly what I wanted.

Run flat tyres and poor damping did make it a REAL pain on bad surfaces and would corrupt the ride quite badly. It was also not very fast but again more than enough 99% of the time. It stood up well when attacked by a 3 series Christmas before last and bar the odd bonnet sensor telling me the bonnet was open (just slam it from 5000000 feet fixed that) and the seatbelt sensor sometimes not noticing you were actually wearing your seatbelt, it was pretty faultless too.

I shall replace it in due course when the world starts moving again but would not buy / rent another. Sat Nav is dire though, just hated the entry of stuff to the extent I would stick it in the MB App and send it to the car....from the drivers seat!

Now I read that back it wasn’t very thorough a road test.

7/10
Entry seems worse than my old C180. Newer ones are touch screen, finally.

Associate
Sat Nav is dire though, just hated the entry of stuff to the extent I would stick it in the MB App and send it to the car....from the drivers seat!

Whilst playing around and getting used to the car I've taken to getting Google to send the address to Hey Mercedes, and thats ok. But the satnav is just awful anyway, so in the future I'll be sticking with Android Auto instead.

Man of Honour
Whilst playing around and getting used to the car I've taken to getting Google to send the address to Hey Mercedes, and thats ok. But the satnav is just awful anyway, so in the future I'll be sticking with Android Auto instead.
It is awful to interact with, no question. The one in my GTR is better....but not hugely and the screen is too small too. I have just added another 2 years subscription to all the Mercedes App functions so, £288 down :mad:

Soldato
I've found the sat nav best one yet, but still miles off Google Maps/ Waze. Although Waze keeps sending me on a wild goose chase recently... a bit annoying you don't get proposals of bonkers side trips via Epping forest versus staying on the M1...Schrodinger's route guidance though, you'll never know if it could have been quicker the other way...

It is awful to interact with, no question. The one in my GTR is better....but not hugely and the screen is too small too. I have just added another 2 years subscription to all the Mercedes App functions so, £288 down :mad:
Did you find it worth it? Mine has expired after 3 months of ownership due to a glitch and I haven't missed it...

Man of Honour
Did you find it worth it? Mine has expired after 3 months of ownership due to a glitch and I haven't missed it...
I like the fact I can check on the car, lock the car and set up zones so I know if it goes walk about. For me that has value as do POI's on road trips and traffic updates. Is it worth £288 probably not, but it's only money isn't it. :eek:

Soldato
Does anyone know if there is something I can fit on the foot rest area. It is just carpet, seems like it would wear pretty quick and get dirty. This is on the 2020 A35 AMG. It doesn't even have a metal plate or rubberised grips. :(

Back
Top Bottom