Hi,
So yesterday I’ve build 5900x system specs below
Ryzen 9 5900x
Msi b550 mortar mobo.
16gb 8pack 3600mhz moved from older system
Fractal 860w psu
Gtx 1080ti ftw3 connected via 8pin thats splits to two 6+2
Older 240gb temp ssd for system as I await m.2
System will keep crashing restarting without any warning, sometimes ill get this error Irql not less or equal. I’m pulling my hair here. I think it might be memory? The system worked ok on 1 stick on 2400mhz. Any ideas guys? Any help much appreciated thank you

Soldato
Do you have the latest BIOS?

Also did you remember to set memory voltage to that specified for those DIMMs before enabling XMP?

Associate
OP
Hi yes, mobo is flashed to the latest bios. Memory voltage was on auto, but then I bumped it to 1.4v and still crashes:/ thank you

Soldato
IRQL is memory-related yes. Silicon lottery for CPU Cache is part of it. Board DIMM slots/memory traces also.

Could try +0.0125 or +0.0250 for SOC voltage.

Enabling Gear Down Mode for memory in BIOS could also help prevent the restarts.

Failing that, try not using XMP and enter the frequency and main timings manually but loosening them by 1.

Associate
OP
IRQL is memory-related yes. Silicon lottery for CPU Cache is part of it. Board DIMM slots/memory traces also.

Could try +0.0125 or +0.0250 for SOC voltage.

Enabling Gear Down Mode for memory in BIOS could also help prevent the restarts.

Failing that, try not using XMP and enter the frequency and main timings manually but loosening them by 1.
Thank you I’ll try these settings tonight hopefully it will work. Should I try different memory as well? I have 16gb 3200mzh in my missus system.

Associate
OP
Yes, I did and, to be honest I will have to do it again as I don’t remember outcome, but I think on one system didn’t boot at all. And second crashed with xmp1 but ran ok on 2400mhz. I tried putting them in different slots(1,3counting from cpu) but msi board displays message that these slots are not optimised for high speed ram.

Soldato
Can this be a bad CPU??

It could. More likely reason is the CPU Cache cannot handle the frequency and timings of that RAM.

You said it handled one stick at 2400MHz but didn't say whether you'd tried both sticks at 2400?

Which cooler are you using, could it be a tad over-tightened? Can try relaxing a bit to check.

Associate
OP
It could. More likely reason is the CPU Cache cannot handle the frequency and timings of that RAM.

You said it handled one stick at 2400MHz but didn't say whether you'd tried both sticks at 2400?

Which cooler are you using, could it be a tad over-tightened? Can try relaxing a bit to check.
Im using noctua nh-u12a, I didn’t tighten it to hard just a litle pressure, as peer manual. Keept restarting with both sticks at 2400mhz :( ill do fresh win10pro installation on new ssd, just out of curiosity. Will try other memory, and come back with results. Thank you all

Caporegime
Im using noctua nh-u12a, I didn’t tighten it to hard just a litle pressure, as peer manual. Keept restarting with both sticks at 2400mhz :( ill do fresh win10pro installation on new ssd, just out of curiosity. Will try other memory, and come back with results. Thank you all
So try each stick individually? Or try your sticks in your wides machine and hers, as a known good set in yours?

Associate
I was getting a similar thing and just running my RAM at a slightly slower speed solved the problem. Alternatively you may be able to up the voltage slightly but I am pretty clueless about that.

Associate
OP
I was getting a similar thing and just running my RAM at a slightly slower speed solved the problem. Alternatively you may be able to up the voltage slightly but I am pretty clueless about that.
Hi
Thank you for reply, does not matter what speed I’m running the ram it will crash whether they are on 2400 or 3600mhz :(

Associate
OP
Small update:
Install system on another ssd, still same issue one ram stock wont boot on slot 4, will boot then crash on slot 2. Second will work at 2400 on slot 2 but will crash 3dmark stress test no bsod. Will reboot on 3600mhz. Ran prime 95 smal fft for 20min as its late no issues with stability. Changed pci to gen 3. Tomorrow will try different ram. It’s tiring...

Associate
OP
Keeps crashing with corsair memory from my fiancé pc that that’s got 3700x and 16gb of 3200mhz mem 16-16-18-36. No idea at this point what could be wrong.

Soldato
I think you're going to have to try the 3700X in your Mortar mobo, Peter, see what happens. Could then point to either CPU or mobo.

Associate
OP
So basically, I’ve changed mobo memory, and the problem was still there, swapped cpu this morning and so far I haven’t had a crash or random restart all day fingers crossed it’ll stay like that. Thanks all for ya help

Soldato
its recomended to run ddr4 3600mhz with all of amd's 3000 and 5000 series chips to get the very best from them, if you are only at 2400mhz max that could be messing around with the memory controller in the cpu which is leading to the irql bsod, its very very rare to get a doa cpu thease days though it can happen but its very rare indeed, i'd try a faster kit of ram before rmaing the cpu, 3000mhz minimum and if you can streach your budget get a 3600mhz set

look for amd optimised ram kits too, older ddr4 sets are a bit iffy with amd's new cpu's

Back
Top Bottom