What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Filled a skip (with help from the neighbours)

uideieil.jpg

The neighbour saw me cutting up some metal shelving with my multitool and not getting very far, he gave me his angle grinder to use instead.

OMG, what I piece of kit!!!
I've never used one before and was smiling from ear to ear :cool::cool::cool:

Soldato
Filled a skip (with help from the neighbours)

uideieil.jpg

The neighbour saw me cutting up some metal shelving with my multitool and not getting very far, he gave me his angle grinder to use instead.

OMG, what I piece of kit!!!
I've never used one before and was smiling from ear to ear :cool::cool::cool:

yer angle grinders are awesome but also dangerous be careful

Soldato
It's awkward, as I understand why he isn't happy, but we live on a hill and every other house is like this. It was a choice of a garden we could get good use of and upsetting the neighbour, or a hill that we never use.
Or spending all that time, money and effort turning a hill into a deck, then having to spend time and money turning it back into a hill again. It looks great from your side, but I can't understand how you (or more importantly a planner) would think that is anywhere near being reasonable to your neighbour.

Associate
Or spending all that time, money and effort turning a hill into a deck, then having to spend time and money turning it back into a hill again. It looks great from your side, but I can't understand how you (or more importantly a planner) would think that is anywhere near being reasonable to your neighbour.
Agreed. It's outrageous!

Soldato
I don't know why you have such issues with the deck as if its the only part of the work he just completed? Its a tiny part of that he did.

Would you have issues if he bought the retaining wall in line with where the rest of it is instead of using the existing retaining wall all and putting a deck in the gap to make it all level on his side?

The poster could put a sensible height fence on his side and deal with the obvious privacy issues he has created though.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't know why you have such issues with the deck as if its the only part of the work he just completed? Its a tiny part of that he did.
A deck is generally a seating area and this one definitely is I assume by the picture of the chair hilariously next to the 'fence' - don't lean back and fall! He's basically built an F1 podium on top of someone else's garden! There is reason that planning for this kind of thing is needed.

The 'tough **** it's my family garden I'll do what I want and screw anyone else or any rules' attitude stinks, but is unfortunately more and more common these days.

Soldato
Because people doing work like this without the necessary planning consent and no consideration for neighbours are a scourge in society :confused:

A deck is generally a seating area and this one definitely is I assume by the picture of the chair hilariously next to the 'fence' - don't lean back and fall! He's basically built an F1 podium on top of someone else's garden! There is reason that planning for this kind of thing is needed.

The 'tough **** it's my family garden I'll do what I want and screw anyone else or any rules' attitude stinks, but is unfortunately more and more common these days.

But again your focussed on a tiny piece of deck which I know is in breach. But, it is the same height as the original part of the garden and existing retaining walls it joins on to. In reality the issue the neighbours have is the large retaining wall he just built. The deck is what 4 square meters at the most, the new retaining wall must be the best part of 15 meters long.

I get the deck is likely in breach of planning regs but look at the bigger picture, its really not material to the job he has just done and incidentally the deck is the part which has the best screening.

Like I said and seeing as you selectively quoted and didn't actually respond to the entire post, just the bit you wanted to. If he bought the retaining wall all the way along and filled that in with dirt also, would you be making such a big deal about it?

Soldato
I bet that deck doesnt even need planning consent, cause its actually lower than his garden...........but how people can make the comment that these type of people are a scourge on society is beyond me, there are me pressing things in the world that are a bigger scurge on society, than a guy doing a bit of decking.

some members need to get a life me thinks.

Soldato
Like I said and seeing as you selectively quoted and didn't actually respond to the entire post, just the bit you wanted to. If he bought the retaining wall all the way along and filled that in with dirt also, would you be making such a big deal about it?
There was no point quoting the second part as I already answered that in my reply to the first part. But to help, I would have more of an issue with a deck for the reasons stated. :)

Associate
It wouldn't be ocuk unless it was full of people moaning on behalf of others.

Get away with what you can in this world I say, there's far too many rules... if they hate it so much, let them complain to get this removed.
Who knows how often the neighbour uses their garden or whether they'll actually notice it.

Soldato
It wouldn't be ocuk unless it was full of people moaning on behalf of others.

Get away with what you can in this world I say, there's far too many rules... if they hate it so much, let them complain to get this removed.
Who knows how often the neighbour uses their garden or whether they'll actually notice it.
Totally agree, especially as the member offered to erect new fencing...........neighbour declined, so as far as i can see, he has done everything he can to limit the effect on said neighbours.

but to call him a scurge on society is disgusting to be honest.

Caporegime
Totally agree, especially as the member offered to erect new fencing...........neighbour declined, so as far as i can see, he has done everything he can to limit the effect on said neighbours.

but to call him a scurge on society is disgusting to be honest.

I'd of just stuck fencing up on my side, they'll be moaning then for sure :p

Soldato
Apart from going through the proper planning process you mean?
If one is required you mean........

i once had the planning officer come to my property due to my fence being 4ft high in my garden. But he decided to measure it from the kerbside which meant it was 12ft high.......i rightly informed him, that to get to my garden he needs to walk up 9 steps, of which would take him from kerbside to garden height of which is 8ft.......

if i was to remove my 4ft fence, i would also have had to remove the supporting wall that was nearly 100yrs old and possibly over 300tonne of soil that had also been there over 100yds in order to reduce my fence height to what he thought was 4ft measured from the kerbside.........

he soon ran off with his tail between his legs when he realised how much a knob he was being and that he was totally wrong in his interpration of the planning laws with said fencing.

Last edited:
Associate
wow....

errr, its the "scourge in society" here...

Didn't realise I had kicked a hornets nest.

Just slight point defend myself a little (and yes I know its useless, I am the scourge in society)

When we moved in there was already decking in place. Admittedly it was approx. 3 feet away from the fence , but it was also 3 feet higher than the small bit of decking i have replaced it with.

gar1.jpg
gar3.jpg

gar4.jpg

backs out slowly....

Soldato
No. Because decking or other landscaping that infringes on your neighbours privacy needs planning permission, decking over 30cm high also needs it and you can clearly see in the pictures it is higher than that.
30cm high from which point within the garden?...the lowest point or from the point of the fence??? How high is the fence 3ft, 4ft, 5ft....can you tell from the pictures???

also looks like from the new pictures, that decking was already in place when the property was purchased and higher than the new decking........

again the comments made are out of order and should be removed.

Back
Top Bottom