Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
OP
The Xbox warranty from MS direct gets you two replacement controllers and Xbox Series X consoles no matter the issue, accidental damage included, for three years. It only costs £39.99 for that cover and you can only get it if you bought the console directly from MS.

Ooh, I didn't even know about the controllers. I just thought it was 3 year warranty for the console. Noice.

Soldato
Yeah that's decent. I pray my console luck continues in that I've never had a faulty on since the NES. Just peeling rubber on ds4 and dodgy y button on the SX pad.

I picked up the warranty purely for the accidental damage protection on both the console and controllers. I've got a four year old boy that likes to push things over or throw things around if he gets hold of them so I wasn't taking any chances!

Ooh, I didn't even know about the controllers. I just thought it was 3 year warranty for the console. Noice.

Yeah that was one of the biggest things for me. A new controller is what, £50 - £60 depending on if there's a deal on. For £39.99 the console and controllers are both covered for three years. It was totally worth it.

Soldato
The Xbox warranty from MS direct gets you two replacement controllers and Xbox Series X consoles no matter the issue, accidental damage included, for three years. It only costs £39.99 for that cover and you can only get it if you bought the console directly from MS.

With two young kids I would happily pay for that warranty separately if they made it available

Soldato
Interesting, is that just down to less loading of textures etc but using the same cpu/SSD?

Yeah, textures at a lower Res so less work to do. I can't imagine there's much between them though. The X is pretty damn fast and Quick Resume is amazing for getting you back into games.

Soldato
I picked up the warranty purely for the accidental damage protection on both the console and controllers. I've got a four year old boy that likes to push things over or throw things around if he gets hold of them so I wasn't taking any chances!

Yeah that was one of the biggest things for me. A new controller is what, £50 - £60 depending on if there's a deal on. For £39.99 the console and controllers are both covered for three years. It was totally worth it.

And it was a total #### move that it was only available to those who bought through ma direct.

Soldato
And it was a total #### move that it was only available to those who bought through ma direct.

All companies work like that though. Extended warranties are usually offered through the retailer, not the manufacturer. In this instance the MS store is still a separate retailer to the manufacturer despite sharing the same name. Certainly operationally anyway. They're not necessarily tied together as a single entity so it makes sense that they only offer it on products sold by themselves.

Caporegime
What are people using for external storage solution? I knew the games files are large but boy, they are LARGE. 2 games installed (Forza Horizon 4 and Outriders and i am already like 25% full).

Without going the whole £220, what's the typical combo? A 2TB external HDD for last gen games? Or something faster like a 1TB SSD.

Soldato
What are people using for external storage solution? I knew the games files are large but boy, they are LARGE. 2 games installed (Forza Horizon 4 and Outriders and i am already like 25% full).

Without going the whole £220, what's the typical combo? A 2TB external HDD for last gen games? Or something faster like a 1TB SSD.

I've personally not felt the need for storage upgrade. I guess I don't tend to juggle a bunch of games at the same time, but I liken storage considerations to electric car owners' "range anxiety".

Try being comfortable with being 90% + full for a while and see how you feel then, maybe finish a game or two before moving onto the next and see how you go first?

Caporegime
OP
I have a 4TB external USB 3.0 HDD which is nearly full of Game Pass games. It seems plenty fast for me in terms of loading as well. I barely use the internal SSD of my XSS at all.

Man of Honour

I went for the 1TB expansion card plus a 1TB SSD on both of my consoles. I had an external mechanical drive but quickly swapped to the SSD as the load times were annoying. The SSD massively improved load times and texture pop in for previous gen games.

Associate
I've never understood the storage issue. PC gamers seldom install the entire contents of their Steam library, just the games they intend to play in the foreseeable future, surely the same applies here? I have a myriad of games installed on my Series X with about 200GB to spare. I tend to finish a game and uninstall it to make way for something else, it's not rocket science!

The only exception I can see is if you have a bandwidth cap or slow internet connection.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I've never understood the storage issue. PC gamers seldom install the entire contents of their Steam library, just the games they intend to play in the foreseable future, surely the same applies here? I have a myriad of games installed on my Series X with about 200GB to spare. I tend to finish a game and uninstall it to make way for something else, it's not rocket science!

The only exception I can see is if you have a bandwidth cap or slow internet connection.

Let me paint a picture.

You are only allowed to install 7 games max, or as little as 3 (if they are COD size, or you are on the Series S) on your PC and it takes 3 hours to install a new game, or it takes 3mins to move a game back.
You are also curious trying out the new game on a monthly basis (be it free on PSN or GPU). I guess you don't get free games on Steam.
You also have a tendency to get bored and flip between different games.

I also suspect your PC will have more than 800G of storage too, I have like 8TB attached to my Mac and a further like 40TB on the network, so yeah, storage on the computer is not a problem for me.

Last edited:
Associate
Let me paint a picture.

You are only allowed to install 7 games max, or as little as 3 (if they are COD size, or you are on the Series S) on your PC and it takes 3 hours to install a new game, or it takes 3mins to move a game back.
You are also curious trying out the new game (be it free on PSN or GPU). I guess you don't get free games on Steam.
You also have a tendency to get bored and flip between different games.

I also suspect your PC will have more than 800G of storage too, I have like 8TB attached to my Mac and a further like 40TB on the network, so yeah, storage on the computer is not a problem for me.

I don't game on PC, but when I did, the storage consisted of a 250GB SSD for the OS and 1TB mechanical for the games. I certainly had nothing in the regions of 40TB, and neither does your average user. I own 234 games on Steam, but didn't have anywhere close to that installed at any given time.

I currently have the following installed on my Series X:

1. BioShock
  2. Borderlands GOTY
  3. Cyberpunk 2077
  4. Dead Effect 2
  5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  7. Doom 3
  8. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  9. Evil Within 2
  10. Fallout 4
  11. Far Cry 5
  12. GTA: San Andreas
  13. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  14. Metro Exodus
  15. Minecraft
  16. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
  17. No Man's Sky
  18. Outward
  19. Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X
  20. Shenmue
  21. Shenmue II
  22. Skyrim Special Edition
  23. State of Decay
  24. Stardew Valley
  25. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
  26. Witcher 3 GOTY
  27. Wreckfest
74.2% with 206GB free

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't game on PC, but when I did, the storage consisted of a 250GB SSD for the OS and 1TB mechanical for the games. I certainly had nothing in the regions of 40TB, and neither does your average user. I own 234 games on Steam, but didn't have anywhere close to that installed at any given time.

I currently have the following installed on my Series X:

1. BioShock
  2. Borderlands GOTY
  3. Cyberpunk 2077
  4. Dead Effect 2
  5. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  7. Doom 3
  8. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  9. Evil Within 2
  10. Fallout 4
  11. Far Cry 5
  12. GTA: San Andreas
  13. Kingdom Come: Deliverance
  14. Metro Exodus
  15. Minecraft
  16. No Man's Sky
  17. Outward
  18. Resident Evil Code Veronica X
  19. Skyrim Special Edition
  20. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
  21. Witcher 3 GOTY
  22. Wreckfest
74.2% with 206GB free

All of them are last gen and before gen games? So the file size are nothing like the new ones.

That's the thing, with an external drive i can put a TON of last gen on the that and using the internal SSD for new stuff. Best of both worlds.

Back
Top Bottom