• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Anyone got the issue where your ram is maxed even in idle. Ive looked about and found that its based on your refresh rate of monitor. Mine is just 75hz and only monitor, but if you got dual monitors you might have it too. What reduces your vram speed at idle is changing it to 60hz but i dont want to do that so i hope amd can fix that. Ltmatt maybe u can let amd know if ur still connected?

Fixing it could lead to idle temps dropping a lot from the normal 50 i get with my 6700xt to probs 40 or less, not tested but probably.

My card does it if my Samsung g7 is running at 240hz. If I change it to 120hz then the VRAM will downclock. I can remember my 1080ti did as well with my 144hz S2417DG.

Associate
I've been using a 24" 144Hz monitor and that would only allow downclock at 120Hz and below. I just upgraded to a 27" 144Hz monitor (same make) and the VRAM now downclocks fine at 144Hz.

Caporegime
OP
No. It's possible to downclock at 144HZ, it depends on the VBLANK timing of the monitor.

I've had two 120HZ monitors within the last year. One downclocked, one didn't.
I've been using a 24" 144Hz monitor and that would only allow downclock at 120Hz and below. I just upgraded to a 27" 144Hz monitor (same make) and the VRAM now downclocks fine at 144Hz.
There you go. It really all comes down to that timing.

Associate
I've been running them since launch (on a freshly formatted system) and it's been nothing but plain sailing. I pay zero attention to energy usage though so have no idea if it's better!

same it will use what it uses

if anything I find I have a better life with no metrics running

have coretemp on but thats more a left over from the fresh build and testing

Associate
I got the latest AMD drivers. When I watch a stream on twitch or watch a youtibe video in full screen, It just stutters, the second I move my mouse about it clears up, but then it comes back. I've noticed this only happens on chromium based browsers, Firefox seems fine for me. This was fine in the previous driver I had.

I got freesync on and 10bit on if that info is useful? For now I've turned off HW acceleration but I lose features in google meets etc

Running a 6800

EDIT:
Nevermind, the better solution is to turn off the 'enhance sync' option in AMD

Last edited:
Associate
I am using the new driver for a few days and mostly fine (once it crashed and disappeared so had to install it again).

I haven't seen any reduction in consumption on my 5700 but I believe there is some with the latest gen.

Soldato
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-5-1

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.5.1 Highlights
Support For

• Resident Evil Village™
    • Up to 13% increase in performance in Resident Evil Village @ 4K MAX settings, with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.5.1 on the 16GB Radeon™ RX 6800XT graphics card, versus the previous software driver edition 21.4.1.RS-362
  • Metro Exodus PC Enhanced Edition™
Fixed Issues
  • Disco Elysium™ may experience texture flickering on trees with Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products.
  • Performance metrics may incorrectly report temperatures on Ryzen™ 5 1600 series processors.
  • Lower than expected performance may be experienced at 4K resolutions on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics products in some Payday 2™ missions.
  • Moonlight Blade™ may experience an application crash when entering a game with ray tracing enabled.
  • Green corruption may be observed in some video previews on the Radeon Software media pages or thumbnails.
  • Radeon Software hotkeys using the numpad may sometimes fail to correctly save or work after upgrading to a newer Radeon Software version.
  • Radeon Software recording and media files may intermittently fail to detect and tag Rainbow Six Siege™ screenshots, replays, or recordings.
  • Added Radeon Software game detection for some recently added Xbox Game Pass games.
Known Issues
  • Uninstalling or upgrading Radeon Software using the factory reset option may delete AMD chipset driver folders if they are stored in the same directory as the Radeon Software installation. Users who wish to perform a factory reset are recommended to use the AMD cleanup utility instead.
  • Resident Evil Village™ may experience an intermittent application hang or TDR on AMD Radeon VII graphics products in the first mission of the game.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.
  • Radeon Software may experience a crash when Record & Stream tab is in use and a display is hot plugged.
  • Radeon FreeSync™ may intermittently become locked while on desktop after performing task switching between extended and primary displays upon closing a game, causing poor performance or stuttering. A system restart is a potential workaround if this is experienced.
  • Cyberpunk 2077™ may experience shadow corruption on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics when ray tracing is enabled.
  • The download or launch Ryzen Master buttons in Radeon Software may intermittently disappear or may fail to initialize Ryzen Master.
  • If Ryzen Master is not detected in Adrenalin software after installation, a system restart may be required.
  • DOTA®2 may experience flickering and corruption on RyzenTM Mobile 5000 series.
  • FPS logging may log incorrectly or fail to log on RyzenTM Mobile 4000 series and RyzenTM Mobile 5000 series.
AMD Link for Windows Known Issues
  • AMD is investigating isolated reports of intermittent loss of signal during Stream Optimization if HEVC is used on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products or later. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.
  • Intermittent grey frame corruption might be observed when streaming with HEVC on certain configurations via an Internet connection. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.
Footnotes
  • RS-362, Testing conducted by AMD Performance Labs as of April 30, 2021 on the 16GB Radeon™ RX 6800XT, using a test system comprising of AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU (3.7 GHz), 16GB DDR4-3200MHz memory, and Windows 10x64 with Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.1 versus the previous driver edition 21.4.1 on Resident Evil Village @ 4k MAX settings. Performance may vary.

Back
Top Bottom