What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
I think I've seen all of the above. My favourite was the first film. I also enjoyed Aliens 3 (Assembly cut - I think it's called).

The Assembly Cut is a fair improvement over the original release to be fair.

Alien is one of my favourite movies, and is hands down my favourite horror movie. I'd rate as the following:

Alien : 10/10
Aliens : 8.5/10
Alien 3 : 7/10 (Assembly cut, 4/10 otherwise)
Alien Resurrection : 5/10
Prometheus : 7/10
Covenant : 5/10
Aliens Vs. Pedator : 4/10
Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem : 3/10

I actually enjoyed Prometheus, it definitely has its issues but it was an interesting watch that should have been a good set up for a new series, shame Covenant was an incoherent mess. Fassbender steals the show in both movies as far as I'm concerned, although I also think the focus on him is part of the problem the movies had.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd personally rank both AVP films above Prometheus and Covenant. They're more popcorn action films but they're good at it. Prometheus and Covenant try to be serious and lore filled and fail at it.

Soldato
Them! - 1954 creature feature that I've not seen for many years, I still enjoy these 50's B movies : 6/10 :)

Metallica - Through the Nether : I put this on to test out the new R series Kef speakers and BK Sub. It certainly didn't sound like that the last time I watched it :eek: Incredible!

Soldato
OP
Alien : 8.5/10
Aliens : 8.5/10
Alien 3 : 7/10
Alien Resurrection : 5/10 (the underwater scene is great plus Ron Perlman)
Prometheus : 6/10
Covenant : 6/10
Aliens Vs. Pedator : 4/10 (why was this PG13?!?)
Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem : 5/10 (Stupidly dark film but some cool/nasty gore plus PredAlien)

Soldato
Strangely, the first version of Alien 3 I saw as a kid was the Assembly Cut. Story went one of the lads I went to school with, his sister was going out with a guy who worked on the film. He had a copy of the film which was pre-edited.

As for watched films, my GF has been on at me to watch "Worlds Fastest Indian" and for some reason I've been putting it off. It's actually really good.

Old eccentric New Zealand guy (played by Sir Anthony Hopkins) has an old Indian motorbike which he's modified over the years and wants to go really, really fast on it.

Don't really do feel good movies but this one is worth a watch. Sir Anthony's accent does tend to bounce round the commonweath but otherwise a decent performance.

7/10

Soldato
Alien - 9/10
Aliens - 10/10 (but only if it's the special edition otherwise only 8/10)
Alien 3 - 5/10
Alien Resurrection - 2/10
Prometheus - 7/10
Convenant 5/10
AvP - 3/10
AvP 2 - 4/10

Caporegime
I also enjoyed Prometheus though I don't care much about the continuity or any lore associated with these films, so as far as I'm concerned, as a source of entertainment, it's a thumbs up.

I'll check out that B&W film embedded on the previous page. Another that's worth looking at is Les Yeux Sans Visage (an influence on Billy Idol as the idea for a song).

Last edited:
Soldato
Alien : 9.5/10 - close to perfect. Let down as the last 1/4 is merley very good monster in the dark vs. the superb sci-fi suspense of the first 3/4s
Aliens : 9/10 - top Alien, sci-fi action throughout
Alien 3 : 7/10 - decent setting/atmosphere. Worthy Alien movie
Alien Resurrection : 4/10 - pretty rubbish, throwaway action with stupid plot. Unwatched
Prometheus : 3/10 - genuinely awful. Not only the terrible plot, pacing and charatcer issues, but it actually succeeds in making the original Alien movies worse. That was until I unwatched it. Unwatched
Covenant : 5/10 - punctuated occassionally with some decent Aliens atmosphere, but mostly a complete cluster. Unwatched
Aliens Vs. Pedator : 3/10 - real bad. Unwatched
Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem : 3/10 - just as bad. Unwatched

Soldato
Alien : 9.5/10 - close to perfect. Let down as the last 1/4 is merley very good monster in the dark vs. the superb sci-fi suspense of the first 3/4s
Aliens : 9/10 - top Alien, sci-fi action throughout
Alien 3 : 7/10 - decent setting/atmosphere. Worthy Alien movie
Alien Resurrection : 4/10 - pretty rubbish, throwaway action with stupid plot. Unwatched
Prometheus : 3/10 - genuinely awful. Not only the terrible plot, pacing and charatcer issues, but it actually succeeds in making the original Alien movies worse. That was until I unwatched it. Unwatched
Covenant : 5/10 - punctuated occassionally with some decent Aliens atmosphere, but mostly a complete cluster. Unwatched
Aliens Vs. Pedator : 3/10 - real bad. Unwatched
Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem : 3/10 - just as bad. Unwatched

This is all quite acceptable, I think you went easy on covenant, but we'll let that slip.

Caporegime
The Killing of a Sacred Deer. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5715874/

I enjoyed this - that's for sure, but where to start...

After a short time, I started to think something was intentionally awry with the style of delivery of the dialogue - not a technical hitch,
but more than one or two characters seemed to be speaking in a kind of half-monotone manner at times.

Regardless, it says something about a film if it can hold my attention like this one did (as did the three before it: A Cure for Wellness; Midsommar; Hereditary).

I really wasn't quite sure what would happen in the end, though all in all, a very good film. However, there's something quite odd/strange about it all, though that was surely intentional, and most effective.

Quite a lengthy film which suits me very well as I typically like longer movies which allow for the tension and suspense to build.

Soldato
Without Remorse - as a generic B-list Hollywood action/thriller 3/10 but as a Tom Clancy fan - utter dogpoop/10 - Even if I'd pirated this crap for free I'd still be upset!

As a generic no surprises, bland action/techno-political thriller we've all seen a million times before it's just about competently made but Michael B Jordan just didn't shine at all and he's got talent so it must have been the dire script holding him back. The story is so generic I'm sure that whatever backstreet script-factory keeps churning this bland dross out probably just called it "generic action film No 34", smeared it with dog faeces then handed it over smiling all the while to a studio exec too busy snorting coke to actually give a crap about the poop laden script they've just paid millions for.

The morons who made this rubbish have just taken the book name and the character name and grafted it onto someone else's crap story idea, something which bares absolutely zero relevance to the book they stole the title from (same as World War Z did) which makes me wonder what kind of hardcore drug use the people who call themselves "studio execs" must go through to decide that the story which sold millions of copies apparently isn't good enough for a film audience so its better to throw absolutely everything which made this New York Times No 1 best seller away and instead visit the above mentioned generic action movie script-factory for a better story.

I don't care about the race swap of Clark, I don't care about the SEAL Commander gender swap, I don't care that Jamie Bell looks too young to play Ritter, none of that matters to me. I just wanted a well written film thats well acted with a solid adaption of book I really like.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Voyagers
Turned out different ot what the trailer might have suggested, found it quite interesting too although nothing spectacular. I'd give it a 7/10 it had a predictable plot and simple concept with a few tricks thrown in. Evening home watch sci-fi for sure.

Stowaway
This I liked more, seeing Anna Kendrick play a serous role as opposed to a goofy or ditzy character for a change was refreshing. Visually very good and a genuine connection with characters.

Tom |Clancy's Without remorse
Switch of brain action. The usual revenge plot by a badass soldier. The sound quality of this is excellent too definitely watch with the volume up and through some nice speakers for the full effect.

Mortal Kombat
A bit silly a bit cheesy, acting flaky in paces by the American cast members but otherwise gory, reminded me of the original games nicely and some cool fighting/sfx.

Back
Top Bottom