Turbografx mini announced at e3

Associate
Got mine yesterday, my verdict is if you like retro systems it's well worth getting at £77 I paid but gone back up to £100 now.

The Core Grafx Mini that we get in UK/EU is arguably the best version as it has the small form factor of the Japanese version and the auto fire joypad from the USA version - the Japanese version looks the best still, but that's around £120. The Turbograpx 16 is almost pointless as a mini as it's so big, definitely avoid that version IMO.

UK/EU version seems to be the best one overall in terms of actual utility, so likely to still be highly collectible.

At £77 it's good value, you get a good controller with USB so likely can used for PC too, a smart repro mini console that looks great on a shelf, plus well over £100 worth of virtual console equivalents, including classic games like Castlevania Rondo of Blood and a ton of great shoot em ups.

You get 52 games not including the non-translated Japanese ones that are unplayable unless you speak Japanese like Snatcher, but that's a tiny fraction of the games that simply didn't have an English version in the first place. Better to include than not at all I guess.

It also includes 5 hidden games - 3 arcade versions and 2 totally unmentioned games including Twin Bee.

Technically it surpasses the superb Snes mini by including quite a few PC Engine CD games with CD audio, it's pretty amazing how much they squeezed out of a 8 bit machine over the years back then, albeit with a 16 bit GPU.

You also get so many games it's a viable total console in the way the Snes mini isn't with only 20 games (albeit a higher quality overall than most PC Engine games.)

Overall, at £77 seeing some of the hugely inflated prices for GPUs and other mini consoles, this was a great bargain, just like the Snes mini, the save states and official branding make it the best way to play some of these games barring the original consoles.

This was a great review I found that covers a lot of the details like hidden games and regional variants:

https://tiredoldhack.com/2020/04/25/pc-engine-coregrafx-mini-review/

Soldato
For £77 it’s certainly good value. I’d always wanted a PC Engine as a kid, so I chose to go down the original hardware route last year (Duo-R). Sadly I had to pay silly money to get Castlevania X, but for everything else I use a Turbo Everdrive.

I’m not the biggest shoot ‘em up fan ever, but I think the majority of the games are excellent, if not quite addictive. How they did it with an 8bit cpu I don’t know. Yes the Japanese thing can be a bit of a blocker in some games, but it’s not that bad and there are guides out there, if you are determined.

Associate
If anyone is interested it is available in Amazon for 77.53 and you can pay in 5 instalments too. Just ordered one!

Soldato
I was really hoping the neo geo mini would turn out similar to these, but it didnt.
Bomberman 93/94 appears to be the only good game.

Back
Top Bottom