Fiesta vs Polo

Soldato
Can't comment on the latest Mk10 Polo's but as you say used you'd be looking at previous version. I've run a 1.2Tsi from new and it's been pretty robust reliability wise. Car is almost 10 years old and last year it had a front passenger side spring fail. Then just after Xmas this year I replaced the battery as it was beginning to sound a little tired when starting. To be fair that was probably more to to with standing for few weeks at a time during lockdown/shielding.

Generally not a bad little car, not outstanding in any area, but enough go and way better than you'd expect at motorway speeds. For a little car they drive like something bigger, so soak up the bumps, if a bit soft in corners. They are pretty quiet and easy to live with. Fiesta or Polo there's gonna be neigh-sayers, just buy what suits.

Man of Honour
OP
Considered a Mini instead? Clubman if you want something a bit larger and still in budget. Love mine.
Yes considered those. My wife really likes them. But we would get less car for the money, reliability seems questionable on older models, and being BMW the cost of service and repair is probably higher?

Associate
Yes considered those. My wife really likes them. But we would get less car for the money, reliability seems questionable on older models, and being BMW the cost of service and repair is probably higher?

2017 and newer models don't have any reliability issues to note that I know of, certainly in regards to the petrol models. Servicing for my Clubman (which is a Cooper SD) isn't bad really, certainly no more than it ever was for my Golf or the wife's Tiguan. Guess it all comes down to what you're really looking for. Personally having had a Fiesta, Focus and a Golf in the past, I'd choose the Clubman every time.

Soldato
What 'big problems' would you expect to suddenly find with a car that's been fine for 4 years? The only thing I can think of to consider is that the 1.5 BMW/Mini petrol engine has had a recall to deal with excessive crankshaft wear. In terms of reliability surveys, the Clubman scores well.

It took longer than that for RX-8s to start blowing up. The older Minis have quite a list of known issues and they didn't all appear that quickly.

Associate
It took longer than that for RX-8s to start blowing up. The older Minis have quite a list of known issues and they didn't all appear that quickly.

Completely different engine design in the RX8 (Wankel rotary, drinks oil, etc etc) so not comparable. I'm trying to understand what you're actually getting at here, are you saying that the OP should be buying a car that's 10 years old and never goes wrong?

Soldato
19,767 posts and you're still posting utter nonsense :) At least back your statements up with some actual evidence.

When looking at long term reliability they don't come out so well...

Transmission, clutch and timing chains seem to be weak spots. About the worst weak spots you can have.

Last edited:
Associate
When looking at long term reliability they don't come out so well...

Transmission, clutch and timing chains seem to be weak spots. About the worst weak spots you can have.

Again, what source are you getting that information from? Or are you talking from personal experience? Making nonsense up on an internet forum is a weaker spot I'd suggest.

Anyhow, in the interest of actually trying to be helpful here, we've had many long term Bimmers in the family and have had no major issues outside of the usual wear and tear you'd have on any car over time. All being said, any car from any brand obviously has the potential to give you trouble - luck of the draw - that's what extended warranties or rainy-day funds are for.

Back
Top Bottom