Would this be considered potential constructive dismissal?

Soldato
Go to her boss with concerns at her attitude towards you and if they can discuss it with her, but apologize to her first though and say you weren't aware who was involved in the project. If it continues there might be grounds for bullying. Chances are she's just annoyed you've publicly criticized her as reputation is a big part of university professional life.

If it continues put a complaint in with HR but also join your local union as soon as possible as they can help with any legal costs and representation. Either way be prepared to start looking for work in another department or area.

Soldato
Send the email to her boss, but tell him she told you what to say :D

If she is going to make it hard for you, you can play that game too. Don't break any rules, but you can also be a complete **** in return.

You're still going to get paid if she doesn't like you. Who cares.

Soldato
Send the email to her boss, but tell him she told you what to say :D

If she is going to make it hard for you, you can play that game too. Don't break any rules, but you can also be a complete **** in return.

You're still going to get paid if she doesn't like you. Who cares.
An evolution of this is to accidentally forward it or copy him in to a response back to your line manager.

Sgarrista
Commissario
  • Go straight to my boss’ boss. This might **** her off, but he might be willing to help.
  • Go straight to HR.

I would do No3 first, strike it up to start with on the basis was he happy with the presentation and did he have an issue with it? When he says no, then bring up the emails from your boss asking to do the things she is and why is it an issue with her.

Then do 4.

Caporegime
I don't fully understand what you said and how bad it was. Only time I've had similar is when we were in a confidential 'nothing leaves the room' meeting discussing things about work. I made a comment about not fully believing what some senior managers say. Someone took this to a manager (not mine) and I got pulled in a meeting and basically yelled at. My manager was furious that this happened with no proper process. This is someone who had told me to 'make the numbers work'. So yeah. Basically falsify data.

This relationship never repaired. If it had been my manager making my life hell I'd have left. It was one of those places certain people were immune to proper process. Too ingrained in the business etc.

Even if hr do get involved. It may never be fixed. (depends on how bad she took it. How bad it was, how irrational she is).
But if it doesn't get better, I'd just leave. I've seen people working for bosses they don't get on with and it's toxic. Better to put effort into new, better job than dealing with personal dramatics at current job!

Associate
OP
Is it not a good idea to speak to her boss first? What do I lose by doing that before going to HR?

The more I think about it, the more I think he will support me, not because he’s my friend but because she’s doing reprisals against me for something her organised and was in charge of. That potentially makes him look very bad if he doesn’t address the situation the right way.

Associate
Any conversations with her, or with anyone (including her boss)?

I was hoping to talk to her boss before HR, but if that’s not advisable, I won’t.

Specifically her really. She sounds like she might be the sort to try any intimidate you in a 1:1 meeting. But I think call HR in anyway and let them manage it.

Associate
Don't get sucked into politics at work. Do the best job you can and if the workplace is toxic look for other opportunities.

Try and see the situation from their perspective. Maybe the way your statement was phrased triggered the response?

Rubbish situation to be in. Good luck, I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you.

edit: I read your opening post again - could you have made the examples you gave not mention the specific organisation that they took place in? Since the talk was broadcast to the world you could have been seen to critisise the place you work for and other universitys...

edit 2 - get external impartial advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. Don't make a decision based on what some randoms in a forum are saying...

edit 3 - the more i read you opening post the more i think you've made a mess for yourself. Maybe your boss is trying to save you from yourself, maybe your boss has been told by their boss to take you off the project.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
edit: I read your opening post again - could you have made the examples you gave not mention the specific organisation that they took place in? Since the talk was broadcast to the world you could have been seen to critisise the place you work for and other universitys...

edit 2 - get external impartial advice from someone who knows what they are talking about. Don't make a decision based on what some randoms in a forum are saying...

edit 3 - the more i read you opening post the more i think you've made a mess for yourself. Maybe your boss is trying to save you from yourself, maybe your boss has been told by their boss to take you off the project.

It’s possible, but doesn’t feel like it. If my boss was acting on behalf of her boss then why would she try to get me to email him to take the recording down, and without mentioning her name? Why would he have complemented me after the fact? And why the need for the other reprisals from her?

In the presentation, I didn’t mention my employer, I just said, “this is an example from my department, but it’s the same at virtually every university.” I suppose I could have used an example from another university, but that would have seemed like I’m denigrating “the competition,” which can be a bad look as well.

Who would be good to speak to in this scenario? A lawyer? My uni offers a free legal advice service but I suspect they’re not that impartial.

Associate
It’s possible, but doesn’t feel like it. If my boss was acting on behalf of her boss then why would she try to get me to email him to take the recording down, and without mentioning her name? Why would he have complemented me after the fact? And why the need for the other reprisals from her?

In the presentation, I didn’t mention my employer, I just said, “this is an example from my department, but it’s the same at virtually every university.” I suppose I could have used an example from another university, but that would have seemed like I’m denigrating “the competition,” which can be a bad look as well.

Who would be good to speak to in this scenario? A lawyer? My uni offers a free legal advice service but I suspect they’re not that impartial.

The situation, to me, feels messy and there is something weird about it.

I think by saying its the same at virtually every university you denigrated (i learned a new word today thank you :p) virtually every other university anyway. Maybe use examples in the industry which are in the public domain already - too late for that now, but maybe in future? (I'm assuming the examples you shared in your presentation were not in the public domain - otherwise I dont understand why your boss is acting the way they are).

I spoke to an employment lawyer about something which felt odd a while back, they told me my options and what would potentially happen if I took the options. It wasn't cheap but I made my decision based on knowing all the facts and the position I would be in if I took one and what I would be getting myself into. HR in my experience look after the best interests of the establishment. Is there a documented grievance procedure at your uni you can access without alerting any nosy parkers? At the end of the day is it worth it if youre wanting to get out of there / progress there?

Soldato
just go to HR and have a conversation with them. Trying to solo sort this by talking to your boss or her boss is tantamount to comitting corporate Hari Kari. The fact that she has been there for a long time is niether here nor there. If she acting like an arse because she didn't like something that you said in an ethics cleared presentation she needs to find another job as she clearly hasn't got a thick enough hide for the one she is in.

Soldato
I'm dealing with a situation at work and I'd really appreciate some advice, because it's new to me and I don't know if I'm in the right or wrong. Without giving away too many specific details, here's the situation:

I work for a university. I recently gave a talk at a conference on an aspect of my job. There was something in that talk that my boss subsequently took to be a criticism of her personally (I was basically giving examples of good and bad practice, and one of the examples of bad practice turned out to be something she had personally worked on, unbeknownst to me at the time). It gets worse though... The person chairing the panel I was on was my boss' boss, and, because of Covid, this was a video conference broadcast online all over the world (not that many people watched, but anybody potentially could have watched)!

A couple of hours after the event I get a really passive aggressive email from her asking me to do something relating to my job and this conference presentation. Red flag number one. Then a day or two later I get another email asking me about my ethics application for this project (everything you do needs ethical clearance these days). Red flag number two. Evidently she had taken it on herself to look into the ethics application (which had been approved about a year beforehand) and, to cut a long story short, after several emails back and forth she did find a minor issue with the application that she's now using to get me to stop working on this project. Red flag number three, which is what got me to write this post, is that she's now using this issue to get me to ask her boss (the guy who chaired the panel I was on) to take down the recording of my talk (it was taken down ages ago anyway, but I don't think she knows that), even going to the length of telling me in an email what to tell this guy, of course none of it mentioning her!

On top of that, ever since, she's acted completely differently towards me, not just in meetings and stuff, but dumping loads of extra work on me and refusing to change when I'm scheduled to be in the office, which she always did in the past, and still does for other members of staff.

Anyway, what do you guys think I should do in this situation? I'm leaning towards just doing what she says for now and moving on in the summer, because if this escalates there's a good chance I won't be able to get a reference off her at all, and I might end up stuck here. Although I could make her life difficult if I told her boss everything that's gone on.

Either
A. Talk to her about it and put most of the cards on the table - Tell her the truth, you realised after the presentation that one of your examples unbeknownst to you might reflect badly and tell her you've noticed a chill in the air (don't mention her actions though) and that you are really worried and anxious that you might have ruined things in work.. or,
B. Go to her Boss and explain things (in the same way) but add in her actions..

I'd start at A, if she blows up and goes nuclear with HR don't worry, you are being honest and who can fault you for giving a valid bad example and one you honestly didn't know she'd made herself. It won't reflect that well on her dragging HR in because I can't imagine they will be sympathetic to a manager that has such a fragile ego..
I'd move to B if she lies and tells me everything is OK but still behaves obviously against you..

HR is always a last resort after trying the human approach IMO, there is nothing to fear from HR other than they have a duty to make it formal etc and honestly it can escalate quickly..

I've been stabbed in the back numerous times but found being honest/sincere just works best but every situation will be different.

edit - I took so long posting, I missed this one:
just go to HR and have a conversation with them. Trying to solo sort this by talking to your boss or her boss is tantamount to comitting corporate Hari Kari. The fact that she has been there for a long time is niether here nor there. If she acting like an arse because she didn't like something that you said in an ethics cleared presentation she needs to find another job as she clearly hasn't got a thick enough hide for the one she is in.
I don't know, going straight to HR is something I've seen not help on numerous occasions, all it does is invoke formal processes and airs things that might have been dealt with via a simple polite and sincere conversation..

The only times I've seen HR involved it all got a bit too hot too quickly and effectively someone ended up sacked (not always who you'd think!)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom