PC Games to test on New 3080 PC

Soldato
The ray tracing in WD Legions makes it one of the best looking games I've played at high resolutions, particularly at night. I second the Witcher 3 at 4k Ultra, it looks great... The hairworks option is silly. There is an enhanced version coming out, but who knows how long that will take to release?

You don't need an ultra wide monitor (come at me bros).

Soldato
The ray tracing in WD Legions makes it one of the best looking games I've played at high resolutions, particularly at night. I second the Witcher 3 at 4k Ultra, it looks great... The hairworks option is silly. There is an enhanced version coming out, but who knows how long that will take to release?

You don't need an ultra wide monitor (come at me bros).

Game looks great at 4k but crack at 1440p to me

Soldato
Agree, WD: Legions looks noticeably worse at resolutions lower than 4k, maybe this is because many console games (and PC ports to?) are now optimized for 4k resolution?

Associate
Agree, WD: Legions looks noticeably worse at resolutions lower than 4k, maybe this is because many console games (and PC ports to?) are now optimized for 4k resolution?

But pixels are pixels? So assuming comparable/solid performance, I don't see how that would make any difference? (I've not played WD:Legions).

Soldato
But pixels are pixels? So assuming comparable/solid performance, I don't see how that would make any difference? (I've not played WD:Legions).
if you got a 4K texture and you size it down badly you would get blur,
if its 1:1 reszing it should look better but cost more perf (in theory) my guess is there adding blur to a 4K texture

Associate
OP
Hi all, so my Alienware PC is finally here. I am still waiting for my monitor but I couldn't wait for that to arrive so I downloaded Cyberpunk 2077. Wow even on my 1080p (non gaming monitor) it looks incredible, I can't imagine how much better it will look on my new monitor. I've enjoyed the game despite some of the criticism the game received, as my first real PC gaming experience it was pretty mind blowing. Can't wait to try Metro Exodus, Doom Eternal and many more in the coming weeks and months.

Soldato
I've just started playing Cyberpunk 2077, it runs flawlessly maxed out for me. Some parts are frustrating and annoying such as the fast travel portals, that you can't click on the map and move to one even if you already visited it, that you first have to find your way to a travel point on foot or vehicle and then select the one you want to move to from there.

Soldato
I honestly wouldn't go back to a 16:9 resolution for gaming, ever, given a choice.

UW gaming is just so much better, it really is.

He speak the true true. Its like going from 60fps to 144fps... You just can't go back. I have a Alienware AW3821DW and it's just amazing for games.

Soldato
He speak the true true. Its like going from 60fps to 144fps... You just can't go back. I have a Alienware AW3821DW and it's just amazing for games.
really depends on the games you play, UW is nice when it works or supported, but when its not, its Such a bad experience.

EXample
- 21:9 its zoomed in
- 16:9 you miss 30% of your screen overwatch.

Dont get me wrong i have 1 of every type of Screen going: (all GSYNC)
* 1080 240hz
* 1440p 165hz
* UW 1440p 100hz
* 4K 60hz
* 4K 120hz

I loved my UW, but it just doesnt work enough, to be my daily driver.

Games that are old
you may aswell be in normal-wide mode

Games that are coded badly
HUD in 16:9 but game in 21:9

Games that work well
Awesome

when UW works its lovely, but when it don't its Such a bummer that i regret 21:9, least with 16:9 (4k) your not missing on detail just require more GPU :(

although i love my LG 48" CX could do with a bigger desk now :D

Man of Honour
Cyberpunk with ultra RT is the best-looking game I've ever seen but it also heats up those RT cores on the 3080. Putting my hard next to the card at stock was akin to a hairdryer, best to undervolt.

Does undervolting also improve performance? I've found from experience that with some cards undervolting gives a significant performance increase either by reducing automatic throttling on power draw and/or temperature and/or by automatic overclocking to a higher clock. I might end up buying a 3080, if availability and pricing improves enough before the 3xxx series becomes completely obsolete.

Associate
OP
Smogsy: So given you have every type of monitor. Wanted to get your views on my choice (I have pre-ordered) the ROG Strix XG43UQ and hoping to get it delivered end of May.

Soldato
really depends on the games you play, UW is nice when it works or supported, but when its not, its Such a bad experience.

EXample
- 21:9 its zoomed in
- 16:9 you miss 30% of your screen overwatch.

Dont get me wrong i have 1 of every type of Screen going: (all GSYNC)
* 1080 240hz
* 1440p 165hz
* UW 1440p 100hz
* 4K 60hz
* 4K 120hz

I loved my UW, but it just doesnt work enough, to be my daily driver.

Games that are old
you may aswell be in normal-wide mode

Games that are coded badly
HUD in 16:9 but game in 21:9

Games that work well
Awesome

when UW works its lovely, but when it don't its Such a bummer that i regret 21:9, least with 16:9 (4k) your not missing on detail just require more GPU :(

although i love my LG 48" CX could do with a bigger desk now :D

Aside from a couple of games having to be modded, I've had a flawless experience.

Soldato
i think it really matters how old the games you play are. Having black bars to me is a bad experience.
using 16:9 in a 21:9 screen is bad

True, I don't play many old games, maybe the odd one here and there, and even then, we're talking 10-15 years at max. And I've never encountered a game with forced black bars that couldn't be fixed with a supplied fix on widescreen forums, which were few and far between.

I'd say, if you're going to play modern games, then UW is the way to go, if you're going to play a plethora of games from the earlier generations, then you might run into some problems that need mods, or at worst, accepting of the black bars.

My screen thankfully has local dimming, so the one time I remember having black bars, it shut off the backlight so at night time, it felt like being on a standard 16:9 monitor.

Back
Top Bottom