Sony A7ii and 24-105 Vs 85mm 1.8 (Sony)

Associate
Hi all,

I have recently upgraded from an Olympus EM1 with the 12-40 pro lens to a Sony A7ii and the 24-105 f4 lens. So far I'm loving the sharpness and IQ I am getting from the combo, it's a bit big but I can live with that for the results it gives.

I am thinking of getting the Sony 85mm 1.8 with the aim of having a lens that will give me more bokeh and better low light performance. It will also be nice to carry something less bulky around at times (don't think I'll carry them both out together). I normally take candid photos of my family when we are out and about and love close up head shots, the 85mm would be a be a great focal length to have. What I am wondering though is if the sharpness and IQ of the 85 f1.8 as good as the 24-105? I would hate to take a photo with it and then wish I had taken it with the 24-105 instead. I know the two lens will give me different type of photos but just wanted confirmation that the 85mm is also super sharp.

Here are a couple of examples of the types of photos I love taking:
1. With the A7ii and the 24-105
DSC00333.jpg

2. With the Olympus EM1 and 12-40
P4090391-2.jpg

Thanks.
Michael

Associate
The Sony 85mm 1.8 FE lens is superb, probably the best 85mm you're going to get outside of a GM lens in my opinion. The real question is whether you actually need it or not. Are you happy with the results you're getting from your current lens? Or are you craving that shallower depth of field?

Associate
OP
Join me in the bokeh whore club, it's the only way.

F/4 lenses, what are those? :p

:cry: exactly my thinking. I was super proud of my 12-40 f2.8 lens then realised compared to full frame it's the equivalent of approx f5.6 on full frame, hence craving a bit of 1.8 or 1.4..... even 1.2 if I win the lottery!

Is the 85 1.8 any good then Raymond? I have read some of your replies recommending it but I don't remember any ones which specifies that it is actually super sharp.

Caporegime
:cry: exactly my thinking. I was super proud of my 12-40 f2.8 lens then realised compared to full frame it's the equivalent of approx f5.6 on full frame, hence craving a bit of 1.8 or 1.4..... even 1.2 if I win the lottery!

Is the 85 1.8 any good then Raymond? I have read some of your replies recommending it but I don't remember any ones which specifies that it is actually super sharp.

I had the Sony 85/1.8, in my opinion, it is the BEST value lens on the Sony system period (unless you hate that focal length then it would be no good). I did get a GM later on but only because i found a used one with a good price so the cost difference was not that big.

There is a size comparison, I had all 3 at one point, including the Canon EF 85/1.2

hOc43OV.jpg

Associate
OP
Managed to get a Sony 85 1.8 from the rainforest special event for £352! Arrived today and loving the blurred background so far, looking forward to learning more from it and impressed with it's focusing speed. It's a shame the A7ii doesn't do eye AF as AF-C :(

I really like the size of it with the A7ii, it makes it much more manageable compared to having the 24-105 on the camera.

Soldato
Most Sony full frame lenses are superb image quality.

They do all seem to have common weaknesses though, bad vignetting is one of them i remember.

Soldato
I actually like the less shallow depth look...

I'm find it a bit sad people go on holiday and then take all their portraits with the lowest f stop possible, so you can't tell where or what is behind them.

Back
Top Bottom