• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FX Overclocking

Associate
hehe - I should clean out my fans - and see what 8320e will still do......I think max I got her before she locked up was 5.26 on H80i :D

I know she's go higher but I'm thermal limited - I can't wait for Zen to play with.

What sort of voltage are you using for that? My FX-8350 tops out about 4.8GHz which I have used for benchmarking but keep it at 4.5 / 4.6 usually.
I might look into the 8320e if it overclocks better, however my board will support the 8350 but not the stock 5GHz 9590 chip due to voltage, however if I could get the same speed with a lower voltage it might be possible with this chip.

Associate
What sort of voltage are you using for that? My FX-8350 tops out about 4.8GHz which I have used for benchmarking but keep it at 4.5 / 4.6 usually.
I might look into the 8320e if it overclocks better, however my board will support the 8350 but not the stock 5GHz 9590 chip due to voltage, however if I could get the same speed with a lower voltage it might be possible with this chip.

to get stable 5 ghz its 1.46 volts - then it starts to get stupid as I go higher 1.55 volts for 5.1 ghz - 1.65v volts for 5.2 - *which boots - and can do some stuff then don't remember 5.26 ghz - I can boot in - but try anything other than cpuz.....lock up due to thermals :D

8320e - many actually thing are binned 9590s because how low I can run the voltage on it :D I mean 4.5ghz is like 1.35-1.40 volts

Associate
I gave my son the 8320E, at the moment I have a 8370E @ 4.8 with 1.42v should last me a while, although I can push it to 5.35 with 1.52v but temps are on the limit, I need more rad for permanent use at that speed.... I like this chip :D

Associate
It doesn't matter what I like or what the fanboys like, the decision is made by what my wallet likes. :D

firestrikeat5.3GhzNo5.9583PNG_zpsvmzvocqz.png

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/Chilipantz/firestrikeat5.3GhzNo8.9956PNG_zpsjyo3dc7m.png

And if your interested in voltages/temps

http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j374/Chilipantz/firestrikeat5.3GhzNo3_zpsarozam1a.png

Am I allowed to like it now? ;) I did these more than a year ago when I first bought the cpu for just over £100 delivered.

Sorry I couldn't get the pictures any larger, I rarely post stuff like this or run benchmarks. I also do not game much but with this set up @ 4.8Ghz I have run F1/2016 pretty much maxed out, 60fps+ @1440p, which is not too shabby for my budget build.

Associate
I run 4.7 daily on my 8320 on a 212evo, no doubt it would go above 5ghz with a better cooler but it runs everything perfectly anyway.

And I paid 120 euros for it 3 years ago!

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I run 4.7 daily on my 8320 on a 212evo, no doubt it would go above 5ghz with a better cooler but it runs everything perfectly anyway.

And I paid 120 euros for it 3 years ago!

I run mine at 4.5 in a power saving setup so that when I am developing or light office stuff its not consuming much power. I too bought it on a deal three years ago for £100 and am genuinly honest it plays everything well.

It doesnt clock too high though at 4.8 a core is flakey and causes bother so I could not run it at 5 for example no matter the cooler.

Soldato
If I was building a rig right now, or had an AM3+ system due an upgrade, the FX-8300 Black Edition for £90 looks pretty tasty.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am3-processor-retail-cp-39p-am.html

I know Intel's architecturally superior (on an IPC basis) and Zen's just around the corner but some of those newer games like BF1 really do like 8 cores. Clock it up and it will go toe to toe with i7s - and leave even recent i3s and i5s trailing.

Soldato
If I was building a rig right now, or had an AM3+ system due an upgrade, the FX-8300 Black Edition for £90 looks pretty tasty.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am3-processor-retail-cp-39p-am.html

I know Intel's architecturally superior (on an IPC basis) and Zen's just around the corner but some of those newer games like BF1 really do like 8 cores. Clock it up and it will go toe to toe with i7s - and leave even recent i3s and i5s trailing.

I don't normally agree with this but with the FX 83xx series being so cheap now that retailers are selling them off it isn't bad when paired with bargain motherboard with decent VRM's, you could get a Mobo/RAM/CPU for under £180 like that.

Soldato
Let's face it, the only thing that can make AM3+ attractive right now is the price. It's a dead-end platform.

But if it's cheap enough - and it will handle most games well - who cares?

Associate
Quick question guys, I've had an FX-8350 now for years and have it sitting at 4.5Ghz at 1.300v, it games and passes all benches perfectly fine without any issues.

I've never really bothered to try and push the overclock any further but from what I've read I think I can possibly hit 5Ghz with a few extra volts.

I have it on a Corsair H80i so cooling isn't an issue, how many volts can these chips take as I appear to have a pretty good clock on such low volts already and can potentially get a better one..?

ket

ket

Associate
Thread necro... please don't kill me :p

So here's the thing, I recently just built myself a lovely little retro gaming PC dual booting between XP (for those old DOS based games baby!) and Win7 for PSX/PS2/Xbox emulation gaming. The issue I'm having is that any CPU-NB frequency above 2000MHz from a cold boot the system totally goes on the fritz. I can run 2400MHz on the CPU-NB with 1.25v and be stable but on a cold boot the system takes a disliking to it and even bumping voltage to 1.35v doesn't change this which for the modest kick in the pants I'm aiming for AFAIK 1.35v should be plenty for a CPU-NB of 2400MHz. I'm not entirely convinced I just have a crap FX either the 6300 will happily do 4.3GHz on 1.29v when leaving the CPU-NB at default and just upping the multi. Anyone encountered this before? Full specs below.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.3GHz 1.29v with Coolermaster Seidon 120v (temps never over about 62c running BOINC Milkyway@home)
Asrock 990FX Extreme4 with UEFI 2.7 (latest) and newly applied 6w/mk thermal pad on the VRM and AS Ceramique on the chipset and SB
2x4GB HyperX 1866MHz 9-11-9-27
8GB Nitro+ RX470
850w EVGA BQ 80+ Bronze

Also if it's useful pic for airflow:
https://imgur.com/L0wVYHT

EDIT: Why isn't the forum code working? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
So here's the thing, I recently just built myself a lovely little retro gaming PC dual booting between XP (for those old DOS based games baby!) and Win7 for PSX/PS2/Xbox emulation gaming. The issue I'm having is that any CPU-NB frequency above 2000MHz from a cold boot the system totally goes on the fritz. I can run 2400MHz on the CPU-NB with 1.25v and be stable but on a cold boot the system takes a disliking to it and even bumping voltage to 1.35v doesn't change this which for the modest kick in the pants I'm aiming for AFAIK 1.35v should be plenty for a CPU-NB of 2400MHz. I'm not entirely convinced I just have a crap FX either the 6300 will happily do 4.3GHz on 1.29v when leaving the CPU-NB at default and just upping the multi. Anyone encountered this before? Full specs below.

EDIT: Why isn't the forum code working? :confused:

Could try walking up the bclk to get the CPU-NB frequency up and see if that works better. The HT speed needs to be either in-sync with it or lower as well IIRC.

I know that that ratio doesn't give you much on an FX compared to the Phenom II before it. It's not a big loss if you can't get the 2400.

ket

ket

Associate
I'll give that more of a go I had a quick play with it a few days ago and 250FSB seemed stable but I was then running into trouble due to the memory in the retro system having trouble with frequencies above its 1866MHz even with relaxed timings. I only really want 2400MHz CPU-NB just for the memory write performance increase which seems to be about +3GB/s and a rather large cache latency reduction. No big loss if I'm stuck with the default CPU-NB but theres some, in theory, low hanging performance to be picked up so I'm just trying to grab it :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom