Dashcams!

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
i would personally look in your manual and look for anything like Wipers, as they will be "switched ignition" and put the "ACC" fuse tap into there

12v then becomes easier to Fuse Tap into

All sorted, the manual didn't really tally up with the fuse board and the Web, even on rear wipers I was getting constant power, managed to see with a torch a spare unused holder which worked a treat, it powers down and enters parking mode.

Gangster
Associate
Soldato
Bought first car and looking to buy a dashcam and not looking to spend over £100. What's a good one to buy?
Do I need a rear camera
What's this about continuous recording?
I've read hardwiring to battery drains the battery, is it better to plug into cigarette lighter?

Soldato
I've got the Black Vue 590W with rear channel... this is the kind of footage you can get (incredibly this quality was only 77MB which is nothing nowadays), this was funny as the guy on my right (that you can't see) was reving and showing off and asked for a race with his missus... this is what happened lol. Just a bit of fun like, but it's one of a couple l downloaded off the BlackVue to my phone which is really handy using wifi

However, yes I believe a rear camera is fantastic for anyone who shunts you and I love mine. Not cheap though so £100 won't buy you BlackVue... mine records at 4k front and 1080P on the rear. Loads out there but I feel they add that extrata "idiots hits you, you have evidence"... but could ALWAYS be used against you don't forget that!

Personally I wouldn't buy just a front one... I think rear is vital, but that's just me! As for parking, mine triggers when stationary and records ONLY when Gforce hit it i.e. think there's a 2 second delay post hit detection and then it records so could also help with the muppets in car parks etc!!! If I get their reg, always a bonus!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got the Black Vue 590W with rear channel... this is the kind of footage you can get (incredibly this quality was only 77MB which is nothing nowadays), this was funny as the guy on my right (that you can't see) was reving and showing off and asked for a race with his missus... this is what happened lol. Just a bit of fun like, but it's one of a couple l downloaded off the BlackVue to my phone which is really handy using wifi

However, yes I believe a rear camera is fantastic for anyone who shunts you and I love mine. Not cheap though so £100 won't buy you BlackVue... mine records at 4k front and 1080P on the rear. Loads out there but I feel they add that extrata "idiots hits you, you have evidence"... but could ALWAYS be used against you don't forget that!

Personally I wouldn't buy just a front one... I think rear is vital, but that's just me! As for parking, mine triggers when stationary and records ONLY when Gforce hit it i.e. think there's a 2 second delay post hit detection and then it records so could also help with the muppets in car parks etc!!! If I get their reg, always a bonus!

Love roads like that. Not often you get to open up legally and safely! Bet he loved the smell of your fumes :p

Soldato
for that budget, maybe a Viofo A129 Pro Duo (front and rear) ?
i own a thinkware myself but they are not cheap

also i know the blackvues are very good (my brother has 3) again not cheap

Viofo isn’t in a great place at the moment firmware wise, the A129 Duo for example has no parking mode to speak of and it’s been broken for a long, long time (new SDK and a lot of things broke), the Pro is marginally better, but I would have a closer look at the 70mai range if someone is on a budget.

Soldato
Again, I would be wary of going Viofo at present, have a read of the Viofo forums and look at how long people have been asking for fixes for very basic functions that are still advertised as being part of the product (hint: years).

nam

nam

Soldato
Thank you, i will go for the other ddpai Mini 5

Again, I would be wary of going Viofo at present, have a read of the Viofo forums and look at how long people have been asking for fixes for very basic functions that are still advertised as being part of the product (hint: years).

Soldato
Any advice which of these 2 i should consider i am looking to connect for parking mode using the following adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/REARMASTER.../B08223X3JX/ref=psdc_1326521031_t2_B082222KYL

Check that the dashcam you get supports that connector. Many dashcams use a Mini-B connector.

Anyway, I would not get either of those dashcams. I think that these days you need both front and rear cameras. And if you can record the cabin as well, so much the better. I don't have a specific recommendation - things have moved on since I purchased my Aukey DR02 - but the issues with Viofo have already been mentioned and the DDPai is single-camera only.

nam

nam

Soldato
Thank you. I will look for a dual camera set

Check that the dashcam you get supports that connector. Many dashcams use a Mini-B connector.

Anyway, I would not get either of those dashcams. I think that these days you need both front and rear cameras. And if you can record the cabin as well, so much the better. I don't have a specific recommendation - things have moved on since I purchased my Aukey DR02 - but the issues with Viofo have already been mentioned and the DDPai is single-camera only.

Back
Top Bottom