• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4A Games update Metro Exodus, new engine, Ray Tracing GPU now required

Soldato
Pretty sure amd improved their tessellation perf. after that and the crysis 2 fiasco.

I wouldn't say there is "no visual improvement".....

https://youtu.be/pYspV4SsWZ4?t=491

Unless are you referring to just tessellation part? Got a link to that if so. Remember that was the case for witcher 3 but didn't think they had the same over the top tessellation set for this too.

Some more quick screenshots, FPS dropped a bit when going back to the train, probably the lowest drop I have seen so far, usually, it is sitting nicely above 100 fps all times.

sVZtcuP.jpg

Xfn3H7L.jpg

UMZq8nN.jpg

lFNcbaX.jpg

VhaxEBJ.png

BuIzFpm.jpg
What CPU do you have? I get lower GPU usage when outside looking onto the wide open landscape like in your screenshot which obviously lowers the FPS, it's probably a CPU or driver overhead limitation. I have an AMD Ryzen 3900X and RTX 3080.

I have to say the game looks truly stunning at times.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not getting great performance in this.

I am at 1400p and I have every turned up to the max.

Vrs is off and DLSS is balanced.

The GFE says those are my optimal settings.

It plays OK, but I do feel like the fps dips at times.
If you have in-game Vsync on turn it off, it breaks Gsync on my Dell S2716DG, locks FPS to 60 and introduces a lot of ghosting and sluggishness to the mouse movement. I had to force Vsync through the Nvidia control panel instead which works great. There are some stutters sometimes, although mostly small, but I think it's just the game loading assets in.

Associate
Looks great but cant believe it has all these bugs being a 2 year old game and being updated for super duper PCs. Seems to be overly blurry started to hurt my eyes (TAA?), Nvidia sharpen filter to 60% helps I can actually see the textures instead of a smear now :D

Playing it on EXTREME 1440 and everything maxed but VSR/Motion blur/DLSS off and netting 60-100fps.

Soldato
If you have in-game Vsync on turn it off, it breaks Gsync on my Dell S2716DG, locks FPS to 60 and introduces a lot of ghosting and sluggishness to the mouse movement. I had to force Vsync through the Nvidia control panel instead which works great. There are some stutters sometimes, although mostly small, but I think it's just the game loading assets in.
Nice to know that sorts the vsync as I noticed it would run at 60Hz 3840x2160 on my OLED yet 120Hz would work fine at 1440p

Associate
It is not a bug it is the lack of hardware power, it takes some time for the GPU to calculate all the bounces for light. I don't understand why they have done it, if it can't be done in real time just don't do it, it looks pretty bad tbh.

Soldato
Going from ultra bright outdoor area to a darker indoor area, I imagine that's the game replicating your eyes adjusting?
No, we have that effect (eye adaptation/adaptive exposure) in many games and it's closer to a second, not multiple. Check it out here for Far Cry 5 at the beginning of the video when he leaves the bunker: https://youtu.be/XuoZqb6BDc4

That looks bad, has to be a bug surely.
Nope, Nvidiamd is right. It's simply the technique they chose. The hardware isn't strong enough to get those results "instantly" so it's distributed over time. Happens with many effects in modern games but these new RT endeavours are taking it to an extreme. Sadly.
|
|
V
It is not a bug it is the lack of hardware power, it takes some time for the GPU to calculate all the bounces for light. I don't understand why they have done it, if it can't be done in real time just don't do it, it looks pretty bad tbh.

They talk more about it here: https://www.4a-games.com.mt/4a-dna/in-depth-technical-dive-into-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition

Caporegime
Ah interesting to know that it is a "limitation" of the tech as I also thought it was an "artistic" touch:

Going from ultra bright outdoor area to a darker indoor area, I imagine that's the game replicating your eyes adjusting?

Particularly because of that area used in the above clip, you're going from a bright open desert to indoors and that is pretty much how your eyes do work in real life when there is a sudden change in the lighting i.e. your eyes have to adjust.

Can't say I noticed it in any of the above areas from my screenshots tbh, perhaps because the lighting isn't as intense as it will be when in the desert?

What CPU do you have? I get lower GPU usage when outside looking onto the wide open landscape like in your screenshot which obviously lowers the FPS, it's probably a CPU or driver overhead limitation. I have an AMD Ryzen 3900X and RTX 3080.

I have to say the game looks truly stunning at times.

5600x @ stock

More than likely driver overhead.

Indeed, it is stunning! I didn't enjoy the game as much first time round but loving it this time as ray tracing has added so much more of an atmosphere to it.

Caporegime
DF also talked about this "artistic touch" in their review @27:40

Fair, their example is much more of of an "issue".

With the one you linked, if it wasn't pointed out, I wouldn't have thought of this as an "issue" given how the humans eyes work to adjust to darkness and so on.

https://theconversation.com/how-do-my-eyes-adjust-to-the-dark-and-how-long-does-it-take-124044

Either way, it's a small price to pay for a superior method and will be resolved as the hardware and tech. gets better.

Back
Top Bottom