Who was your first ISP?

Man of Honour
Seft said:
Compuserve, back when 14.4k modems were the bomb and my 486-DX2 66 was top dog.

I can still remember paying £350 for a 486DX266 processor and it came in a box about 12" square. Oh how my wife laughed when I opened up the box and she saw this little square thing in the middle and then didn't laugh when she saw the receipt.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Not 100% sure which was first, it was either Madasafish or xstream, then went through a few trials of compuserve and AOL.
Eventually settled on NTL dial up, and now NTL 2mb BB.

Associate
Hi,

Just a quick poll (i'm bored). Who was your first ISP and are they still around?

My first ISP was called Direct Connection (dircon.co.uk) and I don't think they are still around. there was no subscription (paid only for the phone calls) and I got a free 33k modem.

Apologies for this mega bump. But I've been clearing stuff out of my flat and found some old "Direct Connection" (dircon) installation floppy discs.

A quick internet search (not Alta Vista) and this was one of the first things that popped up. Nostalgia, all over again.

Soldato
Necro thread! Xstream, Ic24 and redhotant bring back fond memory's of kicking off the auto dialer dead on 6pm hoping to be connected and get a few games of CS in before the 1hour limit kicked you off then there was zero chance of getting reconnected. Irc xtreme had a dialer you were suppose to use that fed you adverts but if you knew the number you could just setup a windows dialer and avoid the ads.

Dialstart was my first as it was one of the choices win me gave you as a built in option and being free minus the bt call costs was a easy choice over the paid for isps at the time.

Soldato
Interesting necro thread as it highlights how slow a lot of the UK fixed line internet progress has been due to the reliance on the copper infrastructure.

I started with compuserve in 1997 @ 33Kbps. In 2002 I think I went to BT 512Kbps ADSL. By 2006 at the time of the start of this thread I was on ADSL at 2Mbps. Four years after that and it was VDSL 40/10 from recollection and now 15 years after the start of the thread it’s still only VDSL albeit 80/20 available to me.

Soldato
Supernet/itl.net 28.8k then 56k dialup
JT Rapid 512kbit/s broadband then speeds increased to 2Mbit/s
Sure 3G mobile broadband roughly 2Mbit/s
Homenet WiMAX roughly 4Mbit/s
Homenet Fibre 40Mbit/s
Sure Fibre 1Gbit/s

Back
Top Bottom