Crucial 32gb (2x16gb) cl16 3600 BL2K16G36C16U4B - Single Rank

Stu

Stu

Soldato
M16FB1 is single rank, M16FE1 is dual rank.

However, you won't know what you're getting until it's in your hand because retailers don't tell you this level of detail.

Associate
M16FB1 is single rank, M16FE1 is dual rank.

However, you won't know what you're getting until it's in your hand because retailers don't tell you this level of detail.

You sure? I thought the M16 / M8 at the begining told you if it was dual or single rank?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
R
You sure? I thought the M16 / M8 at the begining told you if it was dual or single rank?

You are correct, I made a mistake by copy/paste the text from the previous post (previous dude wrote it wrong and I repeated it)... M16FB1 is wrong, should be M8FB1.

M8FB1 = single rank
M16FE1 = dual rank

Associate
Ah ok, I thought maybe Crucial had changed things up as Tejstar was asking about the code M16FB1 - so it sounds like dual rank B die then?

Only thing I can find for M16FB1 is Crucial Ballistix 2x32GB RAM mentioned in HardForum.

Did you have the sticks in hand Tejstar?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Ah ok, I thought maybe Crucial had changed things up as Tejstar was asking about the code M16FB1 - so it sounds like dual rank B die then?

Only thing I can find for M16FB1 is Crucial Ballistix 2x32GB RAM mentioned in HardForum.

I think the number represents the number of chips, and with B or E representing the die. B-die is available in 2GB density, but E-die is only available in 1GB density.

So M8FB1 is a 16GB RAM stick, made up of 8 x 2GB B-die chips in single rank.
M16FE1 is a 16GB RAM stick, made up of 16 x 1GB E-die chips in dual rank.
M16FB1 would be a 32GB RAM stick, made up of 16 x 2GB B-die chips. I'm not sure if this will be single rank, or if the additional number of chips for 32GB allows dual rank using 2GB B-die chips.

I may have got some terminology wrong there, but you should get the explanation.

J10

J10

Associate
I found this thread because I bought 2x16GB of BL16G36C16U4B and I found they are M8FB1 single rank, I noticed it had less bandwith than my old (very overclocked, not fully stable at 1800) memory.
I decided to order a second pair to go 4x16=64GB and make them dual rank, to my surprise the new ones arrived and they are M16FE1!

So I did some tests, if I mix them (I don't know what's the best way to mix them) the performance was the same as the M8FB1. Then I tried the M16FE1 and they are indeed faster, here are the tests:

BL16G36C16U4B M8FB1 (single rank) 3733 16 18 18 38 1.4v
Rtfj8Me.png

BL16G36C16U4B M16FE1 (dual rank) 3733 16 18 18 38 1.4v
byUdHCQ.png

So what do I do now! I will try to mix them the other way, then decide if I try to get another pair to see if I get single rank, then return either the single ranks or the dual rank, Or just keep 32Gb... :confused:

Last edited:

J10

J10

Associate
Why do you need 64GB? If you don't need 64 GB, then sell the B-die sticks.
You are probably right, I rarely use more than 32GB, only when I use FinalCutPro for 4K editing or Ligtroom to stich big panorama photos, that I don't do often.

Well at least we are able to get more testing of both types and mix them :cool:

I mixed both rams, the other way around: M16FE1 is 1-2 and M8FB1 3-4, I guess this puts M8FB1 on dual rank and the other in quad, the first try was probably a weird 1-2rank mix.
YpUQauf.png

Last edited:
Associate

Yep, in hand. I ordered a 64GB kit (2 x 32GB) and was surprised to see the M16FB1 extension once they arrived, as hadn't seen that mentioned before - only the M16FE1.

It's annoying that there's no clarification whether these are single or dual rank on the box. It's part of a new build I'm doing so I can't even fire it up yet to see if any software helps me determine whether it is single/dual rank!

Associate
Yep, in hand. I ordered a 64GB kit (2 x 32GB) and was surprised to see the M16FB1 extension once they arrived, as hadn't seen that mentioned before - only the M16FE1.

It's annoying that there's no clarification whether these are single or dual rank on the box. It's part of a new build I'm doing so I can't even fire it up yet to see if any software helps me determine whether it is single/dual rank!

If you take a look under the heatspreader (without taking it off) you should either see chips on both sides of the ram stick which means dual rank, or chips on one side of the stick with the other side having some sort of filler which means is single rank.

J10 - did you get the ram from overclockers? I see there is some in stock, I asked CS if they could take a look at the number on the ram but they can't at the moment :(

J10

J10

Associate
If you take a look under the heatspreader (without taking it off) you should either see chips on both sides of the ram stick which means dual rank, or chips on one side of the stick with the other side having some sort of filler which means is single rank.

J10 - did you get the ram from overclockers? I see there is some in stock, I asked CS if they could take a look at the number on the ram but they can't at the moment :(

I got them in Amazon.es, the first two I received are single rank and the second two are dual rank. They were built in early march and late march, so it seems they still make dual rank ones. Sellers cannot tell the exact model without opening the boxes.

Stu

Stu

Soldato

I don't think that a solid way to determine single or dual.

@Tejstar get on crucial.com live support chat, tell them the full code and they will tell you. They are good with questions like this.

I think they will be dual rank due to the higher capacity (similar to Samsung b-die 8GB sticks being single rank but 16GB sticks are dual rank).

Last edited:
Associate

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I found this thread because I bought 2x16GB of BL16G36C16U4B and I found they are M8FB1 single rank, I noticed it had less bandwith than my old (very overclocked, not fully stable at 1800) memory.
I decided to order a second pair to go 4x16=64GB and make them dual rank, to my surprise the new ones arrived and they are M16FE1!

So I did some tests, if I mix them (I don't know what's the best way to mix them) the performance was the same as the M8FB1. Then I tried the M16FE1 and they are indeed faster, here are the tests...

Can you overclock the M8FB1 sticks higher/tighter?

J10

J10

Associate
Can you overclock the M8FB1 sticks higher/tighter?
I was not able to get post beyond FCLK 1866 on either memory, probably I need to increase other voltages to get there but did not try further.
I was not able to get CL14 on either memory, they seem very similar, I am keeping the M16FE1 memory and will return the single rank M8FB1.
There are the timmings I am running:
MjMc0g2.png

J10

J10

Associate
Is any of this RAM available in single rank 16GB DIMMs with RGB?
The BL2K16G36C16U4BL is the RGB version, you may get either Single or Dual rank, you will only know when you open the box and see the number inside (or using sw).
M8FB1 is single rank
M16FE1 is dual rank

Associate
Just to add to what @J10 already mentioned, once recieved, you can see the label that shows the M8FB1/M16FE1 designation without opening the box seal which will make things easier should you decide that you need to return anything.

Associate
@Tejstar get on crucial.com live support chat, tell them the full code and they will tell you. They are good with questions like this.

Thanks for the tip. I spoke to Crucial Live Chat this morning and they confirmed that M16FB1 is indeed dual rank memory. :)

So now we know M16FE1 and M16FB1 is dual rank. It's probably the 'M16' that highlights it is dual rank, the 'E' and 'B' just flags whether it is E-die or B-die.

Back
Top Bottom