So, anyone got an iRobot Roomba or other robot vacuum cleaner?

Caporegime
OP
Right now I'd setting for something that doesn't boil my **** when it's running!
Then just buy a Roborock and get on with your life... why sit there boiling about anything? :)

Vacuum robots without intelligent mapping & navigation are pointless, it would drive me up the wall as well.

Yup, this. Buying a crappy Robovac without intelligent features is a false economy.

Honestly, the minimum I would buy is a Roborock Mi Robot with Lidar (the original edition) as not only are they so well made and well featured but, very importantly, spare parts are cheap and easily available.

Associate
The wife bought a 'Eufy' robovac a few months ago....after seeing one of her friends had one and thought it was great.
She now spends time moving everything off the floor, stacking chairs on tables in the kitchen etc.....I cannot resist reminding her that it would probably just be quicker to use a normal vac.
(I now have to whisper that to myself quietly and chuckle, as I have had death threats :) )

Associate
The wife loves it tbh.
We have a large open planned kitchen / dining room / extension and it does a decent job of it.
Only thing is, we have to lift the dining table chairs onto the table as it sometimes gets stuck on the pointy star shaped legs (fine with everything else).

Caporegime
OP
Yeh, we have circular based bar stools and my Xiaomi gets beached on them, so we need to move them out if the way.
There is a way to fix this if you fix some 1-inch pieces of wood, or any other material that will take the small impact, to the circular base at 6 inch (or so) intervals. All you need to do is discourage the robot from keeping trying to go forward by thinking it has encountered an obstacle tht it can't get over and you have solved the problem. I am currently in the process of doing this to all of my furniture that has similar issues.

Soldato
There is a way to fix this if you fix some 1-inch pieces of wood, or any other material that will take the small impact, to the circular base at 6 inch (or so) intervals. All you need to do is discourage the robot from keeping trying to go forward by thinking it has encountered an obstacle tht it can't get over and you have solved the problem. I am currently in the process of doing this to all of my furniture that has similar issues.
Like sharp 2" spikes? :)

Joking aside, doesn't sound aesthetic. I'll just move the stools :)

Caporegime
The wife bought a 'Eufy' robovac a few months ago....after seeing one of her friends had one and thought it was great.
She now spends time moving everything off the floor, stacking chairs on tables in the kitchen etc.....I cannot resist reminding her that it would probably just be quicker to use a normal vac.
(I now have to whisper that to myself quietly and chuckle, as I have had death threats :) )

Shouldn't she be doing both?

As in let the robot do its thing every day or every other day.

Then she does a proper hoover where she gets into everything once a week or once every 2 weeks?

Caporegime
OP

It's not even remotely quicker to vacuum yourself than spend 2 minutes stacking chairs. A robovac does most of the effort of a regular vacuum.

Then she does a proper hoover where she gets into everything once a week or once every 2 weeks?
Absolutely no need for that on such a regular basis... only the places that a robovac can't get into need an occasional manual vacuum unless I guess your home is particularly heavily soiled from kids or pets.

Soldato
Our Xiaomi vacuum does basically all the vacumming on the ground floor now. Probably once every few months we get the 'proper vacuum' out.

Given we're now about to replace all our downstairs carpets with LVT, this will become even more the case now expect. ie: The Xiaomi will get basically all the dirt off a hard floor just as well as a 'proper vacuum'...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Shouldn't she be doing both?

As in let the robot do its thing every day or every other day.

Our Xiaomi vacuum does basically all the vacumming on the ground floor now. Probably once every few months we get the 'proper vacuum' out.

Given we're now about to replace all our downstairs carpets with LVT, this will become even more the case now expect. ie: The Xiaomi will get basically all the dirt off a hard floor just as well as a 'proper vacuum'...

Ditto.

Our robot vacuum cleaner (original Xiaomi Mi) does such a good job that we instructed our cleaner to only do a regular vacuum once every three months.

Caporegime
Don't think it's worth it for me.

Basically downstairs is a hallway/kitchen diner/ living room. There isn't much free space.

Now got a cordless vacuum it doesn't seem worth it. Only takes 10 mins to do the floor with it.

Used to have one. But it wouldn't get under the dining room table, would likely struggle with the rug in living room too.

Associate
Wow I didn't know that Roborock were bringing out a self-emptying dock this year! Check the end of this video for the new S7 where they show the dock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j065x5EDYE&t=91s&ab_channel=Roborock

I would be very tempted by that. :)

I’m not so interested in the dock, but very interested in the upgraded & vibrating mop. It looks like it actually works & can clean stains for a start, I have the S50 with the first version of the mop and it’s useless.

Back
Top Bottom