Are you patronising?

Soldato
When the rewards or value is good enough, yes.

I used to support a Youtuber as it included whitelisting on their server. It was only £3 or £5 a month so cheaper (and less hassle) than renting my own server.

The only one still I do is Bad Obsession Motorsport as it’s only £1 a month. I figure it’s better entertainment and value than most other things.

Soldato
I use to support someone on Patreon but he never said thank you to the community in the time that I did, or was very communicative at all, so I stopped. If I'm giving you money for something you're doing, at least say thank you.

The other extreme is when they list/thank every one of their Patreons at the end of their YT videos!

i thought you paid Patreon for bonus content/items, not for the thanks?

Yeah...altho I've seen some Patreon pages that offer nothing apart from giving a 'shoutout to their patreons' on YT

Soldato
No, I subscribe to a few (motorbikes, investing etc) but have never paid to extra for 'exclusive' content. As above though it's amazing how much cash people throw at them when they do a livestream.

Man of Honour
My misses says I am very patronising ;)

Your misses? Are they your daughters? ;) Relax, I’m kidding, referring to my wife, I once typed and posted waif!
My wife accused me of being patronising recently, we were watching a U.S. TV show and someone said that X had got a job as a guide at Valley Forge.
After the show ended, I asked her, “You know what happened at Valley Forge don’t you?”
She said that no she didn’t, so I told her that it was where George Washington’s Continental Army had their winter quarters during the Revolutionary War, and that it had been extremely cold there.
She said, “So you, a history buff extraordinaire, probably knew that I didn’t know that, you patronising *******.

Soldato
Anyone who have observed these patreon buttons, twitch, or the Join button on Youtube (as well as super chat donations) know.. some people have money to throw around like confetti.

It seems the main incentive for the bulk of people, who tend to be younger, is to get their name up on a donation message during a stream.

I can understand people who are really in to specific subjects wanting to give a donation.

But these subscriptions paying per month. I would have to be extra dedicated to watching them.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I supported a few creators on Patreon for a while but once they get big enough I usually stop.

I am more happy to support creators when they are not greedy AF and already raking it in.

I'm sure some of you have seen videos from they french chef "Alex". He makes great videos and I love watching them. I was watching one the other day though and was subjected to the following:

Advert
1 minute of video
Advert
In video advert for the next 2 minutes plugging a product
Advert
Video for a while

Then I got to the end of the video and he had a "thank you to all my patreon supporters" and I reckon there were a good few thousand names in that list.

He is raking it in and still insists on advertising his videos up to the eyeballs. I won't support anyone who does that.

Man of Honour
I don't have a Google account and I'm not willing to give Google my phone number, so I couldn't subscribe even if I wanted to. Maybe I could use Patreon, maybe not. I don't know. I allow the adverts and sponsor sections to play, up to a point. I've seen some videos in which the advertising was longer than the video! That's not going to fly with me.

Associate
I supported someone $1 a month through Patreon until they started adding a $0.35 fee to that in 2017. It was grossly disproportionate so it didn't make sense to carry on after that. I think it's now a $0.10 fee below $3 but they also charge a % of the fee to the creator too. I've bought some merchandise from a couple of creators where I will actually use their products. I don't think I'll support anyone through patreon or anything similar again. The platform seems to take a sizeable cut and you don't really get anything of value out of it.

Soldato
There's two YouTubers who mostly cover boxing and I've subscribed to their actual Patreon's but both together are about £5 with change a month.

No but I'm amazed at how much people will pay. A channel I often watch did a live chat earlier which I haven't seen before and people were paying them £20 just to say hello. They must have made hundreds in a couple of hours responding to questions. Not a big channel either.

Yup, I watch a lot of Boxing Talk With Ade (he now does work for Sky and Talksport) and I've frequently seen people just chuck him £50 or so! I was watching The F1 Word's debrief from Portugal and someone donated £500!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Would never pay these, i also get quite annoyed by people advertising within their videos (not YouTube adverts, i refer to actual video sections with them promoting items), although i do appreciate why they do it.

Associate
I annoys me like hell that famous and clearly millionaires stream on Twitch and still have people giving them money

Caporegime
most these channels are making a fortune even the ones with only a few k subscribers that are selling patreon subs at 15 a month...

like WTF? are you crazy...where's the value for money they are basically digital beggars

I've followed some channels from the start too and actively promoted them around the web where relevant so gave them a nice boost to get them going, always commented on their vids etc.

then suddenly they start a discord for patreon members only like wtf? what about your original community who supported you when you had nothing?

youtubers don't care about anyone but themselves and their cash

most the discords no doubt end up being free research for them as well.

never patreon, always add block, always downvote even if you like the content.

reset your youtube history every other month cos the algo gets broken anyway.

Permabanned
i'm embarrassed to admit but...I tend to like watching adults...who actually have children,
play Mario maker on youtube before I nod off for the night, I often fall asleep before the video ends. Pepanga, Ryukar and Ericvanwilderman..
They have this please give me money thing on there channel but I've never seen the need.

I suppose it's not as bad as the guys who watch onlyfans though :p

Soldato
i'm embarrassed to admit but...I tend to like watching adults...who actually have children,
play Mario maker on youtube before I nod off for the night, I often fall asleep before the video ends. Pepanga, Ryukar and Ericvanwilderman..
They have this please give me money thing on there channel but I've never seen the need.

I suppose it's not as bad as the guys who watch onlyfans though :p
Get yourself on Twitch and find a Hot Tub Gamer channel ;)

Back
Top Bottom