The Official Pizza Discussion thread (was: Cooking Neapolitan Pizzas with the Uuni 3)

Soldato
I’m sure some make there own, but what tomato sauce do you use for the base, I’ve been using these small jars from Sainsbury’s, which are not best really.

Also is this nduja a paste, does this replace the tomato base or more of a topping?

Last edited:
Soldato
I’m sure some make there own, but what tomato sauce do you use for the base, I’ve been using these small jars from Sainsbury’s, which are not best really.

Also is this nduja a paste, does this replace the tomato base or more of a topping?
I use tinned chopped tomatoes reduced down. Nothing else added.

Soldato
Usually tin of good tomatoes, bit of salt, sugar oregano and basil and some garlic, blended up then reduced down for 30-40 minutes on a low heat. Occasionally chuck in some chillis if I want a bit of spicy.

Soldato
Usually tin of good tomatoes, bit of salt, sugar oregano and basil and some garlic, blended up then reduced down for 30-40 minutes on a low heat. Occasionally chuck in some chillis if I want a bit of spicy.
I read something that says you shouldn't blend them as it breaks the seeds which can give an unpleasant taste, should mash them instead.

Soldato
I can't find a really nice tinned tomato for pizza sauce, Napolina comes best out of what I can find locally but I find it needs some extra puree and sugar to get it tasting nice, apart from that just some olive oil & dried herbs (Marjoram is great) all blended together.

Soldato
I can't find a really nice tinned tomato for pizza sauce, Napolina comes best out of what I can find locally but I find it needs some extra puree and sugar to get it tasting nice, apart from that just some olive oil & dried herbs (Marjoram is great) all blended together.

San Marzano tomatoes are meant to be the best but a bit pricey. I wasn't blown away when I tried them.

Don

just buy a 4kg can of Mutti sauce, split and freeze it, as good as anything you will make

Soldato
San Marzano tomatoes are meant to be the best but a bit pricey. I wasn't blown away when I tried them.
Neither was I, thought I was the only one. One of those ingredients that doesn't justify its price.
Decent chopped or plumb tomatoes are just as nice if you ask me.

Soldato
4 to 6 week delivery though

Koda 16 is in stock on Selfridges website, mine turned up yesterday :)

Had a play with it today, had to put it in the greenhouse as it was rather inclement weather...

Th02np4.jpg

Garlic + mozerella pizza bread to start:

ECUvkdr.jpg

Getting the hang of it i think :)

hwyszbf.jpg

jYOmepS.jpg

WzzSb88.jpg

As it was my first go, I used dough from here to focus on learning how to use the oven. I will progress to my own dough soon :)

Last edited:
Soldato
so Mutti sauce
"Tomato99.1%,salt,basil0.075%,oregano0.05%, onion 0.05%, natural flavouring." ?
that's probably onion powder, which might be interesting to buy and add into chopped tomatoes versus (less finely) diced onions/celery I currently use and cook in.

Mutti finely chopped tomatoes look interesting, since I don't liquidise mine, and, that would change texture,
but otherwise their non Marzano ~80p a can, slightly more than 60p we spend on Italian cirio chopped ones, on offer @waitrose/js

---

what's the typical diameter of pizza's folks make in Kodis etc ? those look like 8" ... I had naively thought of making fuller size 12"'s if I had a kodi 16",
but maybe that doesn't pan-out due to additional handling problems/pell .. say. ? ... so the standard kodi would be fine - albeit more even heat distribution on the 16" might carry it.

Soldato
so Mutti sauce
"Tomato99.1%,salt,basil0.075%,oregano0.05%, onion 0.05%, natural flavouring." ?
that's probably onion powder, which might be interesting to buy and add into chopped tomatoes versus (less finely) diced onions/celery I currently use and cook in.

Mutti finely chopped tomatoes look interesting, since I don't liquidise mine, and, that would change texture,
but otherwise their non Marzano ~80p a can, slightly more than 60p we spend on Italian cirio chopped ones, on offer @waitrose/js

---

what's the typical diameter of pizza's folks make in Kodis etc ? those look like 8" ... I had naively thought of making fuller size 12"'s if I had a kodi 16",
but maybe that doesn't pan-out due to additional handling problems/pell .. say. ? ... so the standard kodi would be fine - albeit more even heat distribution on the 16" might carry it.

mine were only 8-9 inch but that's because I'm crap at getting the dough stretched well enough :D I'm launching with a 14" peel and turning with a 9" turning peel.

That being said, having the flexibility to move the pizza away from the burner was definitely yielding better results than the ones cooked nearer to it (even with the burner set to low). I'm personally very glad i went with the 16 so i have the flexibility.

Caporegime
because most tins of tomatoes are sour and taste horrible they aren't sweet like tomatoes are supposed to be

Permabanned
Arrived, setup, made dough this morning, first attempts. :D

Son made chicken, mozzarella, pepperoni.
NNaVp9Z.jpg

Pepperoni with chilli for me.

dU6SrFT.jpg

Happy with those for a first attempt but need a different dough recipe, it was not quite right. The crust was stodgy and seemed like it needed longer but would have ended up well burnt. Need more practice to get the edges a little thinner I think.
Dough was just 00 pizza flour, semolina flour has not arrived yet. Will be trying the dough recipe/method from the first page next time.

Back
Top Bottom