Import charges from Cyprus

Soldato
I am thinking of buying some models from an online store based in Cyprus. Anyone know if there will be any tax type charges to get them delivered to the UK?

Last edited:
Soldato
We have left the EU, as a result you will be required to pay VAT on any items purchased. Typically the delivery company will text/email you a payment link once its entered the UK. Basically add 20% to anything you order, and before you ask ... no you wont be able to get away without paying.

Soldato
OP
We have left the EU, as a result you will be required to pay VAT on any items purchased. Typically the delivery company will text/email you a payment link once its entered the UK. Basically add 20% to anything you order, and before you ask ... no you wont be able to get away without paying.
Ok thanks. So nothing the seller would know about or deal with.

Soldato
Ok thanks. So nothing the seller would know about or deal with.
Well they likely have an awareness of the new rules unless their super bespoke/small org, but from their perspective they would just ship it and leave the rest to the delivery firm to deal with.

Should also point out that the delivery firm will also add on a 'handling fee'. DHLs for example is 2.5% of the VAT and a minimum of £11.00.

This link is pretty good at explaining it all.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well they likely have an awareness of the new rules unless their super bespoke/small org, but from their perspective they would just ship it and leave the rest to the delivery firm to deal with.

Should also point out that the delivery firm will also add on a 'handling fee'. DHLs for example is 2.5% of the VAT and a minimum of £11.00.

This link is pretty good at explaining it all.

I did get an email from the company saying over a certain spend they cover "all delivery costs to the uk" but like you said that probably does not include tax. I'll ping them another email to get full conformation.

Associate

That's not quite true. You have to pay UK VAT, but as you're exporting the product you can get back the 19% Cyprus VAT, which is probably included in the price. You can get away without paying easly - all it takes is for the seller to declare the package as a low value gift, the customs inspect a very small percentage of the packages entering UK. So it's possible to buy stuff from EU cheaper than it was before Brexit. Of course better to pay all taxes, as they finance NHS, etc.

Soldato
That's not quite true. You have to pay UK VAT, but as you're exporting the product you can get back the 19% Cyprus VAT, which is probably included in the price. You can get away without paying easly
No company in their right mind is going to be labelling exports as 'gifts' post-brexit. Its not worth the risk, sure you could make a case that it was an accepted norm previously but given the massive restrictions and push from the government to enforce this you can bet that inspections have stepped up considerably.
Its just not wise to be advocating fraud here. Which is what it is.

Associate
No company in their right mind is going to be labelling exports as 'gifts' post-brexit. Its not worth the risk, sure you could make a case that it was an accepted norm previously but given the massive restrictions and push from the government to enforce this you can bet that inspections have stepped up considerably.
Its just not wise to be advocating fraud here. Which is what it is.

A lot of companies in South Europe/China/Russia/etc. will do it even without asking them.

Fully agree that tax avoidance should be avoided, but all the big boys do it all the time.

Caporegime
A lot of companies in South Europe/China/Russia/etc. will do it even without asking them.

Fully agree that tax avoidance should be avoided, but all the big boys do it all the time.

Tax avoidance is legal. Labelling items as low value gifts to evade paying VAT is illegal.

Soldato
OP
I think paying the taxes is fine, we would all agree I'm sure, the rest of the world do it after all. Its the sneaky, over the top extra delivery or admin charges that make you think twice.
To clarify I got a reply back from the company who say the VAT is all included in the price, but any other charges that the parcel will incure is up to the buyer and thats me, so I'm out.

Caporegime
If I buy some goods in the USA, as a gift for someone therefore no invoice in box or value. Get them shipped to a USA address so they are legally mine just in a different country, and then get them shipped to the recipient as a gift, is this okay?

If not please explain!

Soldato
If I buy some goods in the USA, as a gift for someone therefore no invoice in box or value. Get them shipped to a USA address so they are legally mine just in a different country, and then get them shipped to the recipient as a gift, is this okay?

If not please explain!

It doesn't matter if you 'own' the item, above a certain value you will pay import taxes and VAT. Buying it in USA, losing the box and then shipping it as a 'gift' doesn't change anything. You are just describing tax evasion, not avoidance.

Soldato
but all the big boys do it all the time.

Actually i would say the big boys are more likely to be legit. Aliexpress for example are taking the VAT payment at point of checkout. I imagine for the millions that they have shipped to UK customers it's not worth the faff of not doing it.

Back
Top Bottom