CPU Cooler and GPU very close - but not touching

Associate
Is this too close? They aren't touching - and I don't want to use another PCIE slot as this is the only X16 I have. I love the cooler - but it is a monster!

IMG_6110_(002).jpg

Associate
Which CPU cooler is that?

I think it's probably fine, the hot air is mostly blown out the left side so I don't think much heat from the CPU will reach the graphics card backplate. Might just be 1-2 degrees of difference, if that. But this is based on my intuition rather than any actual experience with this situation, so.. :D

Caporegime
What model of Gigabyte Photobucket is that?

Should be fine. Touching would have been bad but there should be enough airflow to keep them both cool.

Associate
OP
Temps seem fine 3dmark stress test hits 66c with a hotspots of 74 - which seems good to me - I’ll run with it - thank you :)

I should have measured the clearance really - having to remove the ram and cpu cooler just so I can take the GPU out isn’t ideal - but not the end of the world either

thanks everyone.

Associate
Temps seem fine 3dmark stress test hits 66c with a hotspots of 74 - which seems good to me - I’ll run with it - thank you :)

I should have measured the clearance really - having to remove the ram and cpu cooler just so I can take the GPU out isn’t ideal - but not the end of the world either

thanks everyone.

I had same issue when my Noctua D15 and the 3090fe. In the end I swapped the cpu cooler for an aio so the GPU has more space now, needed it as well to place heatsink on 3090 backplate.

Soldato

thanks everyone.
You might be able to stick a chopstick down there to press down the latch if you don't fancy removing the cooler.

Associate
OP
haha - I had actually tried that - and with a chopstick! But didn't want to press too hard in case it slipped and took an MB component off. I'm not removing the GPU on a weekly basis - so will just go with it and remove the ram and CPU cooler when needed - not the end of the world. Thanks for the suggestion - sounds as though you've used this method :)

Associate
OP
Which CPU cooler is that?

I think it's probably fine, the hot air is mostly blown out the left side so I don't think much heat from the CPU will reach the graphics card backplate. Might just be 1-2 degrees of difference, if that. But this is based on my intuition rather than any actual experience with this situation, so.. :D
it's a BeQuiet Dark 4 - a beauty

Back
Top Bottom