*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Can I suggest the Dahua VTO2111D-P-S2 for your consideration? It's PoE or battery powered. It's WiFi or wired ethernet and it acts as a standard ONVIF camera for your NVR. For a chime you can use the DS-11 I mentioned above, your phone or a dedicated video terminal which is also powered by PoE.

VTO2111D-P-S2 - Entrance Panels - IP Video Door Entry (securitydynamics.co.uk)

VTH2421FB-P - Indoor Video Monitors - IP Video Door Entry (securitydynamics.co.uk)

They sell kits of the doorbell, monitor and a PoE switch to power everything for under £200. And you can have a monitor in every room if you want that.

Thanks, I’ll take a look. I can’t easily get PoE down to the doorbell, I have normal powered doorbell wiring though so I’ll have to think about how to power it as I don’t really want to go down the battery route.

Had mine since Jan from USA import. Works perfectly and never dropped once with my signal usually around 77% to my udm a few rooms away from the front door. I have mine integrated with Alexa to announce button presses or movement but this needed home assistant / PI and some mucking about. It really should have some integration out the box so hopefully they are working on it but you can always guarantee nothing with ui.

If you don't mind a cloud solution I found my nest doorbell slightly better quality and better integrated but they annoyed me with moving my sub to a more expensive non legacy package after an rma so it's swings and roundabouts with trade offs. If your already deep inti UI with cloud key 2 or udm / pro then its worth a punt.

I will mention the chime when the door is pressed on the device is super quiet. The screen so small no one ever reads it and the speaker is not the loudest for chat if its windy.

Id rather not go down the subscription route with Nest/Ring, they’ll end up costing a fortune in the long run and I’ve not bought into the subscription mindset at all.

The Netatmo doorbell looks like a potential, records locally, can offload images to an FTP and runs on normal 8V wiring and standard mains chimes.

It looks like the G4 works with Honeywell wired to wireless chimes too which is another option. You can get a chime that just plugs into a wall socket.

Soldato
Thanks, I’ll take a look. I can’t easily get PoE down to the doorbell, I have normal powered doorbell wiring though so I’ll have to think about how to power it as I don’t really want to go down the battery route.

No problem, it’ll run off 12V DC like most doorbells with comms via WiFi. It’s obviously better to run a cable though.

Soldato
No problem, it’ll run off 12V DC like most doorbells with comms via WiFi. It’s obviously better to run a cable though.

Yes that’s what I was thinking, I’d assume it could just run off a normal 8-16v doorbell transformer (which has a 12v pole) which I can integrate into the existing wiring.

Edit: ah DC, will need to have a look at what’s available.

Soldato
Id rather not go down the subscription route with Nest/Ring, they’ll end up costing a fortune in the long run and I’ve not bought into the subscription mindset at all.

The biggest single selling point of the Protect system over the majority of competing products is exactly this, the local storage and lack of a subscription requirement. In this way it's much more akin to typical CCTV systems with local DVR boxes.

Personallly I refuse to have any kind of security system where I have to pay an unending subscription and my footage is stored in the cloud.

U6 lite.

So I’ve only installed the one for now. It’s fed directly off the core switch which is a US-8-150W.
I’ve got it set to HE80 which I think says to use the most amount of bandwidth (speed) going. Channel wise it’s auto but I have noticed it’s red now and then.

Location is the hallway, same as the AC Lite. There is a wall between it and the front room. Wall is a breeze block, plasterboard either side and then skimmed and painted. At a rough guess I’m 10ft maybe from it and there is a very noticeable reduction in Wi-Fi speed between device and AP.

Moment I am under it no issues.

Personally I’m not convinced it’s that good. We are due to do a refurb and it being a proper strip and rebuild and I’m looking at using Mylar foils for heat reflection, thermal barriers and vapour sealing. Let aloe dense foam and then foil lined plaster board.

In short yep it’ll be a faraday cage. I’ve sample on the way so I can have a play.

My concern is U6 Lite for me is not that good on range. As well as that I’ll be needing an AP in nearly every room.

Convince the wife that it’s required
Cost (meh her kitchen extension is £61K alone)
Any actual issues having so many dotted about, health etc.

Soldato
The range will be no better or worse than any other WiFi access point. There are strict legal limits on transmission power so it is what it is.

Have you got the access point orientated ‘correctly’, as in your measuring the signal from the back of the access point.

The biggest single selling point of the Protect system over the majority of competing products is exactly this, the local storage and lack of a subscription requirement. In this way it's much more akin to typical CCTV systems with local DVR boxes.

Personallly I refuse to have any kind of security system where I have to pay an unending subscription and my footage is stored in the cloud.

Haha yes, by ‘not sold’ what I meant was ‘refuse’. :p

I know someone that’s been paying the nest sub for years now, hate to think how much the cameras have actually cost them.

The range will be no better or worse than any other WiFi access point. There are strict legal limits on transmission power so it is what it is.

Have you got the access point orientated ‘correctly’, as in your measuring the signal from the back of the access point.

AP is above me with the light facing down. It’s mounted correctly

Associate

I agree for CCTV, but stepping out of a subscription into a big walled garden with local storage feels like a bit of a side-step doesn't it?

I like the idea of Homekit cameras for privacy and simplicity but I ended up going for onvif cameras with Synology NAS as the NVR as I had it already.

It's missing object detection and decent motion alerts, but because it's all open standards I was free to do object detection and alerts separately.

Caporegime
Was running a controller on a raspberry pi. Decided to update the pi as per usual and it seem like the controller is completely FUBAR.

Now I have 2 access points which I'm happy to reset and adopt from new.

However I have a USG which has all sorts of weird and wonderful settings to allow my CCTV be forwarded. My no-ip address be updated. As well as a few other things which I would have to figure out from scratch again and I'd really like to avoid.

Also I am running a unraid server. Is the controller docker on that much more reliable? This is the first time in 2-3 years I've had any issues with controer itself. Usually it's firmware updates which I leave well alone now it's a controller update which has destroyed me.

I like how if I do decide to go the docker route I can disable that specific docker from auto updating.

Whereas on a raspberry pi if I updated the software it updates everything.

Can I set up a new controller and keep all my devices intact or even just the USG? Or do I need to reset and re-adopt?

I may just leave the USG without re-adopting as it will be a pain to set up again from scratch. I have no idea of all the settings I have done and need on it for it to work but my access points seem to only be using a single SSID now whereas before they had 2.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Let me know how it goes, I’m close to pulling the trigger, it’s just the fitting with a normal mechanical chime that’s putting me off.

I finished installing it this afternoon and it works without issue new chime box (2x Chime Boxs). The EU model also comes with a transformer which comes in quiet handy and saves faffing about the wholesalers.

62EcLSu.jpg.png

So my parts list for the install was the following:

Wylex ESE2 2 Module Insulated Enclosure IP40 c/w Din Rail
Honeywell Wireless Portable Doorbell - DC915SCV
Then a few Wago (222-412 / 222-413) connectors to make things simple with some Bell Wire or Cat6

Overall its very straight forward and pretty pain less, the door bell works without any lag as I did read a few bits where it had some lag before ringing. I did mod the connections on the ringer model as they where a pain in the ass, so I stripped them and popped Wago connectors on them.

If you need any wiring diagrams let me know.

Caporegime
You should be able to acces the config.json from the USG via the cli and then if you reset the USG you can use the data from the config.json to rebuild the new config.

You are a lifesaver. Well an afternoon saver. I just dumped 27 pages of crap from putty into a word file.

Surprisingly there are zero youtube videos on this.

Soldato
You are a lifesaver. Well an afternoon saver. I just dumped 27 pages of crap from putty into a word file.

Surprisingly there are zero youtube videos on this.
You're welcome. You should be able to rebuild the config from this in the gui... you can just replace the new config.json with this one but every time you do an update from the controller it will overwrite your one and cause trouble I think... There is stuff on the UI.com community pages about the config.json file and custom additions.

Caporegime
You're welcome. You should be able to rebuild the config from this in the gui... you can just replace the new config.json with this one but every time you do an update from the controller it will overwrite your one and cause trouble I think... There is stuff on the UI.com community pages about the config.json file and custom additions.

Yeah. I'm just waiting on a gpu to arrive for my unraid server then I can boot it back up again and get a controller running on that.

Going to reset my pi completely and just use it for pi-hole and home assistant.

Soldato
My Ubiquiti kit arrived yesterday, looking forward to getting it setup.
  • USG (2nd hand for £50, figured it'd be worth a shot to check it out, if not I'll run with pfSense!)
  • Flex Mini Switch
  • Unifi 6 Lite

Back
Top Bottom