Show me your home network

Man of Honour
Its funny how angry some people get when they see someone elses attempt at implementing something. It works for me and if not for you that is fine. They way some of you "users" go on anyone would think I broke into your houses and urinated on your kids.
You’re the one that seems angry. You ok babe?

Don
Its funny how angry some people get when they see someone elses attempt at implementing something. It works for me and if not for you that is fine.

Not angry in the slightest. Some of us actually do networks etc for a living, so just interested when we see odd design choices. More than happy to make suggestions on how to fix or improve those odd choices, and educate people where possible.

Some of the things you are doing are unnecessary and others can be done in better ways - it's you who seems unable to take constructive criticism

Associate
K23WNYa.png
cf791ddc80bd82dddfe0bed8af5af387.png

Associate
my home network consists of a modem/router next to the phone socket with a couple of cat 5 cables plugged into it. one from my rig and the other for the TV for streaming. everything else that has net access connects via wifi: 2 IP cams. and occasionally my mobile when i'm in bed and want to read a review of a film i'm watching

i won't insult anybody's intelligence by posting a pic/network map :)

Soldato
All my network consists of is the virgin super hub 3.

This has my work and 2 x pcs wired to it and then the following are WiFi.

2 x now tv boxes
2 x mobile phones
1 x laptop
1 x tablet
1 x xbox 360
1 x Nintendo wii
1 x Nintendo switch

Nothing fancy at all and everything works fine so no need to have ant additional hardware

Associate
Which is the best thread to post in to ask for help on setting up a better home network up? I have read the FAQ's and am still not 100% sure of the best way to go, just need a bit of advice.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Here is mine, well the diagram of it.

A8FlPCK.jpg.png

The US-16-XG is being replaced by the USW-Pro-Aggregation-EU in a few days.

Soldato
I was surprised to find that there wasn't really a thread already for this.

I've just got mine to a usable state. It's modest compared to some I've seen, but still over-engineered for a house of 3 :D

Mine lives in the corner of my attached garage;
TTFPrE5.png

A quick run down of what the network consists of;
900/100 FTTH connection from Zen,
400/50 5G connection for failover from EE
Mikrotik 4011 router
Netgear GS724TP 24 Port POE switch chosen for it's big POE capacity for low (used) cost
Cyberpower CP1500 UPS that'll run everything for around 60-80 minutes and auto shutdown via NUT
Synology DS918+ for NAS, some docker services and NVR
RPI4 running Home Assistant for home automation and zigbee control
Camect for CCTV object detection and alerts
Server is old J1900 router appliance for remote ssh access/jump box and testing
Access points are Ubiquiti U6-Lites

I work from home, so one of the core requirements when I built this was that everything still works if the power goes off. This is mostly achieved by a fairly decent sized UPS powering the rack, using POE where possible and a separate 12v UPS for the FTTH ONT.

Next steps are a Dell R2x0 to replace the server with something more powerful, and an extra Ubiquiti U6 Professional AP on the ceiling in the hallway to cover the majority of the wifi in the house.

jWfzAmJ.png

Hopefully that's interesting for some of those interested in home networks / home labs, but what I'm really interested to see is what setups other people have;

Fire away!
Fascinating. I've never heard of CAMECT until your post. How do you find it? Do you use it alongide the NVR you mentioned on your NAS? Or do you simply point the CAMECT to the Nas storage ?

Associate
OP
Fascinating. I've never heard of CAMECT until your post. How do you find it? Do you use it alongide the NVR you mentioned on your NAS? Or do you simply point the CAMECT to the Nas storage ?

It's very unpolished and underdeveloped. It does a pretty good job of object detection and alerting, though, so that's all I really use it for. I go to the NVR for playback.

Associate
51340687488_c524dbff90_c.jpg

Not very pretty, don't judge ... :cry: Just recently moved a load of my bits into the cupboard under the stairs to clear the clutter in the living room. I just got the cables in place and wired it all up, I intend to do a much nicer job in time, add a backup 5g router, PoE switch etc to the OC200 and R605 router. Have to say, for home use the TP link EAP stuff is great, especially since overhaul in the Omada app, its really slick and just the right level of configurability. I have 4 APs dotted around (1 outdoor), it never skips a beat.

Last edited:
Associate
@thebandit it looks good, it's all very fancy in here, mine is a multiple clusters of crap dotted around the house as and when I needed it. :D

I have a VM router & 5G modem into server to do load balancing/failover wired into an assortment of stuff screwed to the under side of desks around the house, it isn't pretty but not visible and probably all quite insecure, still a lot of bandwidth around the house for not a lot of money really.

Hubs/Switches/APs -
1x Tplink SX-105 10Gb hub to give me a 20Gb link to my NAS.
1x Zyxel XGS1210-12 to give 1/2.5/10Gb to rest of network
1x QNAP QSW-1105-5T to share 2.5 Gb NAS link to upstairs office.
5x Huawei AX3 to give 1Gb wifi to everything, everywhere plus a few wired items on its hub.

A bit clunky and zero thought has gone into it but it works.

Back
Top Bottom