• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dead 1080ti - Help !

Caporegime
Well ask the seller if they still have warranty on the card and if they can RMA it for you. Did you take the card apart at any time (are the warranty stickers on the card still there and not damaged)? Also what PSU are you using and did you use two seperate power cables and not use one with two connectors ?

Lol it's a 1080ti warranty went years ago.

As for OP this is why you don't buy expensive second hand cards. Just pony up the extra and buy new or used with warranty.

Personally I'd buy new. Cards are difficult to get hold of so right now I'd buy a pre build or a laptop.

Caporegime
Explain to me how OP is going to prove he was sold a faulty card, and it's not something he has done to it?

Exactly what I was going to post. It worked fine and all of a sudden died after he's tested and used it.

For all we know he could have been running a 300w psu and the weak power draw killed it

Associate
Heat gunning the GPU and VRAM is more of a last resort. You really need to check the card for shorts or blown mosfets using a multimeter and that's where things can get tricky.

Soldato
I have purchased kit from Richeh and can confirm he sold me good kit in good faith, I think the OP has just been very unlucky unfortunately.
Absolute bunkum. The seller has excellent feedback and this merely looks like a very unfortunate situation.

Thank you for the support, I appreciate it.

I have unfortunately told the OP I am unable to offer a partial refund, which in a different situation I would be happy to do but basically times are hard and if I give a partial refund I don't pay a bill.

I really hope someone on here can help him get it working as it was fine for 3 years, some component may have shaken a bit loose in shipping although also in the feedback I received 'well packaged' and assuming no visible dents on the packaging I just don't know what happened and I hate it.

Associate

I have unfortunately told the OP I am unable to offer a partial refund, which in a different situation I would be happy to do but basically times are hard and if I give a partial refund I don't pay a bill.

I really hope someone on here can help him get it working as it was fine for 3 years, some component may have shaken a bit loose in shipping although also in the feedback I received 'well packaged' and assuming no visible dents on the packaging I just don't know what happened and I hate it.

No thanks necessary Richeh, just stating my experience with dealing with yourself and still extremely happy with that purchase. I feel very sorry for both the OP and yourself in this situation.

@bastic What was the EXACT brand and model of the original power supply used?

Soldato
As it worked fine for a few days then I guess the OP has no rights to any kind of compensation from the seller. Why would the seller sell a known dodgy GPU, what would be the point?

He was just cashing in on the current climate where used GPUs sell for much higher than they used to as I have been tempted to sell my RX 580.

I won’t because I won’t be able to get my hands on anything as good or better for some time to come.

Soldato
OP
this one id say is just down to bad luck.

Or a well-hidden truth ..

It worked less than 5 hours. I guess it's my own idiocy for not testing properly so a lesson learnt! In future will do 24hr stress before leaving any feedback :). Left poorer but wiser.

Bad habit of trusting people, it had a knock on the box but who would have thought that could have done anything, my other few packages were fine including another GPU.
I've already offered to wait or split into smaller chunks as per e-mail so can't do more than that. Would you at least check if it's possible to claim anything with RM? Surely it was fully insured from what I remember, maybe they can do something?

No thanks necessary Richeh, just stating my experience with dealing with yourself and still extremely happy with that purchase. I feel very sorry for both the OP and yourself in this situation.

@bastic What was the EXACT brand and model of the original power supply used?

I doubt PSU is at fault, it was 1000w seasonic prime platinum and it runs another 1080ti (and bunch of other powerful GPU's in the past) just fine (I was going to put them in sli in my editing rig, never got the chance as the other one died before 2nd one arrived - which runs fine by the way on same setup).

If u hit A brick wall, I can offer u free diagnostic.
No scamming.

U never know might Be easy to fix.

For a love of god do not bake it and do not use heat gun, this is not the way to fix cards , even if u see success Stories on utube,
U need to determine the fault first.
U might have a busted mosfet , or voltage controler, or any other small chip.

As of warranty , u never know how long the gpu will work, selling second hand .
It's a gamble, and sometimes it fails.

U cant set up a gpu to work fine for few days, electronic S dont work This way.

Any help is appreciated, drop me a message on here.

I haven't used a multimeter in almost 17 years since school but it can't be that complicated.

Associate
@bastic

Yeah, you certainly didn't cheap out on power supply. That's one of the very best units. In this instance and if the card is indeed broken, you've just had the most worst piece of luck with a second hand bit of kit. I don't think this is a "well hidden truth" though. Look at the situation, member for 18 years who buys and sells on the MM at the rate I do, maybe a bit more, knows the value of being able to use that MM. Only a complete fool would seek to jeopardise that after he has benefited from it. I think it's far more likely that a careless courier has maybe tossed this parcel into the back of a van and dislodged a capacitor or something on the card, causing what has happened to happen. That's just my opinion reading everything here though, I appreciate that your side of it is far more clear cut. But even the most trusted couriers have meatheads working for them, it goes with the territory.

In your situation, I'd be tempted to be straight up about the card and advertise it. People are so desperate for graphics cards right now they'll pay more than usual for 'spares or repairs' items, it'd at least get you a partial refund.

I just think you've been very unlucky with second hand parts. It happens. Not so often, but it happens. Sorry for your hard luck fella.

Soldato
OP
@bastic

In your situation, I'd be tempted to be straight up about the card and advertise it. People are so desperate for graphics cards right now they'll pay more than usual for 'spares or repairs' items, it'd at least get you a partial refund.

I just think you've been very unlucky with second hand parts. It happens. Not so often, but it happens. Sorry for your hard luck fella.

Might just as well stick in the oven for comedy value then! And if that fails, flog it as spares :cry:

Soldato
Bad habit of trusting people, it had a knock on the box but who would have thought that could have done anything, my other few packages were fine including another GPU.
I've already offered to wait or split into smaller chunks as per e-mail so can't do more than that. Would you at least check if it's possible to claim anything with RM? Surely it was fully insured from what I remember, maybe they can do something?

Well no, this is the first mention of any damage to the packaging after 'well packaged' in feedback, no mention prior, worked on arrival and only when I asked about it.

As you know I have already replied to your email privately so will leave it at that now. Thanks again for people who offered to support to both the OP and myself. Maybe it gets sorted but im certainly no evil genius who can predict a card is on its way out but will definitely work after being shipped for hundreds of miles and will turn on and work fine for several hours to get the positive feedback in.

Associate
Alright alright... just ordered one will give it a go next weekend when I have time.

Might just as well give it a go, if I can resurrect it for £60 I'll be happy.
I'm at work today, I'll pm u this evening and give u some guidance Of what to check first.
5 min and few basic checks Will point u to a possible Solutions.
In the end if all fails Y u can use heat gun.

Associate
Hey buddy if you want to send it to me I can have a look at it. Got some decent equipment for electronics repairs including thermal imaging camera.
If I can’t fix it I will only charge return shipping (£6 when using Hermes).

229-E7036-A24-D-434-B-8-CFE-7-E1-A2-F407514.jpg

Back
Top Bottom