Headset & AMP/DAC For Gaming

Soldato
Currently torn between the DT770 Pro's and DT990 Pro's at the moment, thinking the DT770 Pro's for better outside sound isolation. Done a fair bit of research and ordered the G6 first before the headphones.
If you have noise sources in environment closed design headphone is definitely better.
For example sounds of anything but the quietest mechanical keyboard leak easily through open headphones.
And while I haven't done direct comparison, DT770 certainly does very well for sound positioning in games for closed headphone.
I tested it with gaming recordings in shop couple years ago and I'm used to open headphones (including DT990) and tried Amiron Home just before it...

Appreciate the advice and will go with the DT770... is there a version with a detachable cable?
All DT770 versions have fixed cable.
What differs is length/type of cable.
80 ohm version has 3m long straight cable.
And 250 ohm version has 3m coiled cable.

But Beyer's design is really simple and it wouldn't be hard to change broken cable, if you know from which end soldering iron is held from.
Or just mod headphone with cable connector.
Plenty of DT770/990 detachable cable mods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtcbfdyHWvY

Soldato
I currently own the Astro A40TR's Gen 4 with MixAmp and have created some good EQ's for the majority of my games.
MixAmp uses ancient Dolby headphone, whose bass bloat is pretty horrible for details with anything above neutral bass headphones.
(+ there's DH's tendency for lots of echo)
Creative's bass neutral HRTF is lot better and doesn't try to bury details.
And headphone output of SBX G6 is lot more capable.

Soldato
OP
MixAmp uses ancient Dolby headphone, whose bass bloat is pretty horrible for details with anything above neutral bass headphones.
(+ there's DH's tendency for lots of echo)
Creative's bass neutral HRTF is lot better and doesn't try to bury details.
And headphone output of SBX G6 is lot more capable.

Much appreciate the advice! I have the G6 at hand now and will likely order the DT770 to complete the setup. My PC is in the living room so I believe the DT770 will fit the bill, plus I doubt the family will want to hear my gaming sounds.

Spent a lot of cash making my PC whisper quiet and trying to maintain that profile if possible.

All advice provided has been valuable and educational and thank you guys for that and looking forward to a whole new experience.

It's a shame Beyer don't deliver to the UK due to Brexit, they have some nice blacked out editions on there I'd of paid a premium for!

Soldato
My PC is in the living room so I believe the DT770 will fit the bill, plus I doubt the family will want to hear my gaming sounds.
At hearing safe SPL for long term listening sound leak from open headphone isn't really heard far away. (except in completely silent environment)
But without hearing dangerous SPL any sounds in room like TV would leak through easily.
So closed headphone is the only choise for that environment.

Soldato
OP
At hearing safe SPL for long term listening sound leak from open headphone isn't really heard far away. (except in completely silent environment)
But without hearing dangerous SPL any sounds in room like TV would leak through easily.
So closed headphone is the only choise for that environment.

I've been looking at the DT770 Pro from a competitor and it looks like the image shows a leather ear cushion? Yet on the manufactures website it's fabric?

Just sourced them for £95 including free delivery! Looking forward to setting up next week.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've been looking at the DT770 Pro from a competitor and it looks like the image shows a leather ear cushion? Yet on the manufactures website it's fabric?

Just sourced them for £95 including free delivery! Looking forward to setting up next week.
32 ohm version has leather pads.
80 ohm and 250 ohm versions have velour pads.

Soldato
OP
32 ohm version has leather pads.
80 ohm and 250 ohm versions have velour pads.

Noticed this after some research as a competitor was using the wrong images for the 250 ohm version. Sourced them for £95 from another competitor and look forward to receiving this soon!

Soldato
OP
Got it all setup today all working perfectly, night and day between this and the Astro. One question, what's the best settings to apply for optimal performance? Currently in Fast Roll off - Minimum Phase, 24-bit, 48KHz. This was the default playback settings given, I have not clue what to setup? @EsaT

Last edited:
Soldato
Got it all setup today all working perfectly, night and day between this and the Astro. One question, what's the best settings to apply for optimal performance? Currently in Fast Roll off - Minimum Phase, 24-bit, 48KHz. This was the default playback settings given, I have not clue what to setup? @EsaT
For gaming and movies you'll want to have headphones and 7.1 chosen.
That makes Windows and games think you have 7.1 speaker set and sources supporting more than stereo channels output surround sound.
Then sound card can continue from that using HRTF algorithm when having surround enabled.

Different filters shouldn't have much any hearable effect.
You could try playing back some music with full range of frequencies to find if there's difference.
Minimum phase filters could affect sound positioning by basically delaying higher frequencies compared to lower frequencies of impulse.
So could start from Fast Roll off - Linear Phase.
This could be used as material for trying to listen if it affects gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
(disable surround to let signal through as unprocessed stereo)

Soldato
OP
For gaming and movies you'll want to have headphones and 7.1 chosen.
That makes Windows and games think you have 7.1 speaker set and sources supporting more than stereo channels output surround sound.
Then sound card can continue from that using HRTF algorithm when having surround enabled.

Different filters shouldn't have much any hearable effect.
You could try playing back some music with full range of frequencies to find if there's difference.
Minimum phase filters could affect sound positioning by basically delaying higher frequencies compared to lower frequencies of impulse.
So could start from Fast Roll off - Linear Phase.
This could be used as material for trying to listen if it affects gaming:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1_20T8x_OI
(disable surround to let signal through as unprocessed stereo)

Done some tweaking and overall blows everything away both in music and games.

I'll be updating my daughters setup and dumping the Astros.

Will be looking at a mic in the near future, something decent for streaming and regular discord chat.

Any recommendations?

Associate
Was just reading this back as I recently got the new EPOS GSX1000 2nd edition, after previously having a Creative g6 that I gave to my gf. (my headphones are HD660s) I massively prefer the look and feel of the GSX 1000, and its surround sound is the best I've ever experienced in terms of the accuracy of its positioning. But ultimately I returned it because the Audio quality simply wasn't as good as my G6. I've just bought another G6 on black friday for quite literally half the price of the GSX1000. I was looking for something a bit better, but it seems like you either go full audiophile and sacrifice surround or get the G6

Soldato
Done some tweaking and overall blows everything away both in music and games.

I'll be updating my daughters setup and dumping the Astros.

Will be looking at a mic in the near future, something decent for streaming and regular discord chat.

Any recommendations?
The Modmic Uni is good, I also have one for sale in the MM.

The DT770pro what the difference between the 80 ohm and 250 ohm.

Back
Top Bottom