The "New Gear/Willy Waving" thread

Soldato
New body arrived
Pg09fb

P-20210423-213845.jpg

Wow, I was thinking a few weeks ago after watching a review, "Who would buy this today?"

I didn't know OCUK had some Pentax fans.

Nice camera.

Did you take this picture in the toilet/bathroom? :cry:

hux

hux

Soldato
Wow, I was thinking a few weeks ago after watching a review, "Who would buy this today?"

Nice camera.

Oh crap, literally.
It was late, and it has a chair with decent lighting.
That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it ;)

Well Pentax are like a poor mans Leica, great camera but needs tweaking to improve it.

Soldato

Nice camera.

I used to be but the auto focus just let me down constantly, especially with the 35mm sigma lens i liked to use.

i should probably sell the kit as its just sat under my desk for the last year.

Caporegime
Impulse purchased my way into FF.

Should have bought Sony, will probably regret the purchase as have a good history of buying into the wrong system (Samsung died and now m43 has a whiff of impending doom).

Soldato
Nice purchase @Minstadave unless you heavily rely on continuous AF you should be fine. For single AF Lumix is good as any other.

I've been eyeing up the S5 recently but I just got myself a G9 about 6 weeks ago. I must resist the urge....

I don't believe M43 is dead yet. This always happens when a new M43 camera is about to be released.

Are you keeping your M43 gear?

Last edited:
Associate
Over the moon, Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 vr s for my Z6 II, took it out for go today. The in-lens stabilisation plus IBIS makes it very smooth as well.

It's an absolute beast, super quick, silent and love on lens fn buttons which I use constantly. OLED display is abit of a gimmick though.

51183042746_c6e54aef88_o_d.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice purchase @Minstadave unless you heavily rely on continuous AF you should be fine. For single AF Lumix is good as any other.

I've been eyeing up the S5 recently but I just got myself a G9 about 6 weeks ago. I must resist the urge....

I don't believe M43 is dead yet. This always happens when a new M43 camera is about to be released.

Are you keeping your M43 gear?

I find the CAF tolerable on the G9 and pretty impressive on the S5.

I'll keep my m43 gear for telephoto use. The S5 is more for indoor photos when light isn't great. I'll probably just use the kit 20-60 and maybe an 85mm F1.4 or F1.8 for snaps of the kids.

Probably flog a few lenses though. The Oly 75mm and the PL 200mm don't get used much. Neither does the Oly 12-40. Need to slim down my collection.

Soldato
How is the feel of the S5 compared with the G9? The G9 feels solid and of quality, I've heard and read that the S5 has a plastic feel to it, is that true?

I am now contemplating the S5, the kit lens coupled with some of the Sigma primes will do me for years to come. Like you I'll retain my M43 gear as it's great for a lightweight and small carry around.

Caporegime
I saw the review saying the S5 felt plastic but its nonsense. The body is solid metal, yes there's a slightly cheap dial around the shutter button but I'm not sure I'd have noticed it myself. The little SAF/CAF switch is annoying, no idea why they didn't use the G9 design.

The G9 to me feels a little more premium, mostly the better EVF and top display stand out as being in the G9s favour.

At the end of the day this is the cheapest modern FF body. £1400 with a half decent lens, spare battery and tripod thing is decent value.

I'm hoping I don't feel the need to fully move to FF as the Panasonic F2.8 lenses are expensive and heavy beasts. Just add a fast prime and I'll be done.

Associate
Replacing my trust Sony Zeiss 55m 1.8 with the Sony 50mm 1.2 GM, pairing with the A1

Just a few quick shots with it, but have some more serious tests coming up portrait wise with my new combo

8QqDQfj.jpg.png
459ZDRI.jpg.png
udm5XkM.jpg.png
Ng0q6W4

Ng0q6W4

459ZDRI

udm5XkM

Last edited:
Caporegime
From my initial playing around with it, 100%, I love it. Been waiting for this for a while, it's dreamy. Real test is some portrait work I have coming up.

I know its dreamy but i have the 85mm f1.4 and the 135mm f1.8 which both give dreamy bokeh......not sure i need another portrait lens.

I really must try and control my GAS. I did an update for the insurance company recently and my total came to just over £27k :eek:

Associate
I know its dreamy but i have the 85mm f1.4 and the 135mm f1.8 which both give dreamy bokeh......not sure i need another portrait lens.

I really must try and control my GAS. I did an update for the insurance company recently and my total came to just over £27k :eek:

I know how you feel ;_; It's rare I'll carry all my kit on me at once, its either my landscape/wildlife kit or my portrait kit.

35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.2 and the 135mm 1.8 are the three I use for portraits. I never really wanted the 85 as I prefer the 50 - just a personal taste thing. Plus the 85mm only has double linear motors, the other GMs have four XD linear motors - which blows me away with being able to smash 30 fps and keep focus on literally every shot from my tests so far. Even keeps up with the 100-400mm

Caporegime
I know how you feel ;_; It's rare I'll carry all my kit on me at once, its either my landscape/wildlife kit or my portrait kit.

35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.2 and the 135mm 1.8 are the three I use for portraits. I never really wanted the 85 as I prefer the 50 - just a personal taste thing. Plus the 85mm only has double linear motors, the other GMs have four XD linear motors - which blows me away with being able to smash 30 fps and keep focus on literally every shot from my tests so far. Even keeps up with the 100-400mm

Yeah the 85mm, although a great lens optically, really shows its age comapred with the 135mm and 24mm I got recently. Perhaps I should sell the 85mm and get the 50mm?............

Like you i just take what i need out each time - one body and 3 lens (normal type) of if I am going bird/wildlife/airshow just the body one of the big zooms.

And my rule is if I havent taken a lens out for over a year, its time to sell it and replace it .

My current lineup isnt the same one I had 2 or 3 years ago even if I dont actually have anymore lens in total.

Associate
Yeah the 85mm, although a great lens optically, really shows its age comapred with the 135mm and 24mm I got recently. Perhaps I should sell the 85mm and get the 50mm?............

Like you i just take what i need out each time - one body and 3 lens (normal type) of if I am going bird/wildlife/airshow just the body one of the big zooms.

And my rule is if I havent taken a lens out for over a year, its time to sell it and replace it .

My current lineup isnt the same one I had 2 or 3 years ago even if I dont actually have anymore lens in total.

Personally, yeah, I’d suggest selling the 85 and replacing with the 50. You have the 135 to cover that top end anyway. You won’t regret it

Back
Top Bottom