Dealership Paint protection addons - worth it?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Thoughts on this?

VW are offering me a Diamondbrite Platinum Kit. (inside and out) are they any good and are they worth the money?

Tells me its a ceramic coating and scotchguard type of interior protection, but I'm dubious. Its £430..

Man of Honour
It is provided as a margin maker or deal sweetener for the dealers, as is gap insurance, wheel insurance and their ilk, all significantly overpriced. It isn't without value, but it is hugely over inflated when sold. I seem to recall someone telling me it was less than £20 in cost for the materials to the dealer, plus labour. There are far better approaches for similar money so to my point, unless it is thrown in it's not worth paying for.

Soldato
Total waste of money just DIY with some ceramic nano protect wax. No way to protect any car from UK roads nothing protects from stone chips just light dust or small road particles & debris!

Save £430 & spend £20-£25 on decent nano ceramic wax & soft micro fibre towels!!

Man of Honour
No, but then they rely on people like my wife who will throw £400 at it 'because'. Not worth it even if free. The kit that she passed onto me went in the bin, it was all crap. Some Gardx or some such nonsense.

Associate
As said it is just a money maker for the salesman, spend the money on paint correction and proper ceramic coating. Remember always tell the dealers never wash the car when in for service as well.

Soldato
The other issue with these add-ons is that for any guarantee of the treatment lasting, the small print specifies you must wash the car every X days and use a particular product to do so. Seemed like a massive get-out clause. To their credit, the dealer didn't push it at all when I said no.

Soldato
I don't think anything you put on the paint (other than vinyl wrap or plastidip) will last all that long if the car is outside and used.

Soldato
Nearly always overpriced and poorly applied too.

Exactly this.

Done correctly, with a quality paint correction first and good preparation it might be worth it, but in the more than 35 years I've been in the motor trade, I've never seen that happen. Generally the cars get a quick wash & leather, then the coating is slapped on, often over paint defects, fall out, even tar.

I'm sure there are some places following the proper procedure, but I've never seen it in a car dealership.

Soldato
It feels like forever that dealers have been pedalling the likes of SupaGuard and Diamondbrite. The markup must be rediculous.

When I bought my Porsche I found that they had included such a protection within the basic price, by default. When I told the salesman to remove it (@ £500!), he proceeded to argue with me that it would be as good as the quality of work and products that my own detailer could provide. I actually think he really believed what he was telling me. Bizarre.

Caporegime
Exactly this.

Done correctly, with a quality paint correction first and good preparation it might be worth it, but in the more than 35 years I've been in the motor trade, I've never seen that happen. Generally the cars get a quick wash & leather, then the coating is slapped on, often over paint defects, fall out, even tar.

I'm sure there are some places following the proper procedure, but I've never seen it in a car dealership.
Washed with the same sponge that gets used on every other car on the forecourt and not even dried or wiped down most likely.

Soldato
Exactly this.

Username checks out

Soldato
No, in fact I'd go as far as to mandate nobody at the dealership touches the paint.

It's a condition of sale for me.

Either I wash it, or if it's something a bit special I'll get a detailer to do it.

Associate
I don't think anything you put on the paint (other than vinyl wrap or plastidip) will last all that long if the car is outside and used.

My ceramic coat is on year 2 and still as good as they day I applied it. Water still beards up on it and washing the car is a doddle with no need for wax, I Just top it up with Gyeon Wet Coat every other wash.

Back
Top Bottom