Sim racers - what are you running?

Associate
I am really struggling and find it hard to unlearn what I know and tailor my driving for sim land. Frustrating, about 2 seconds off the quick boys on most tracks, can't get close. All in my braking it seems.

Ideas?
What game are you playing - I find virtual racing school amazing for Iracing

Man of Honour
No but will give that a go. I also don't have time to put real practice in, so tend to dive into a race with mostly proper racers and I am towards the back.

Soldato
OK, my question wasn't relevant then. :) That's only for official races.

VRS (as kevman suggested) do the setups and data packs for the official series. If you're racing hosted it's likely they may not have the car/track combinations available for comparison.

Caporegime
iRacing.

I am struggling with the lack of movement and braking feel.

some people love it i personally think other games have tarmac nailed far better like assetto and automoblista 2 . tarmac handling is a hard thing to get right though. i used to call it iceracing :p

most things car racing rallying for most people is just practice. its only when you get right up at the top pushing that the skill part really matters.

Man of Honour
We tend to run single set ups in each race so we all run the same but they are optimised by a couple of full on sim racers and real race drivers in the group. We add them to the cars and go practice and then race. We chose a track and car for each weeks race and then its all about seat time. I struggle with seat time so tend to be diving in 11th hour and generally getting in the way a bit (because I bin it). I am getting much better at not binning it but finding it much harder than real racing.

This week (yesterday) which I missed was Spa in the LMP2, week before Le Mans in GTE of choice, next week Bathurst in MX5's with a decent set up.

Soldato
Get yourself on ACC with me swanny and a couple of others here. Far better force feedback, physics than iracing....... especially if you want GT3/4 cars

Soldato
We tend to run single set ups in each race so we all run the same but they are optimised by a couple of full on sim racers and real race drivers in the group. We add them to the cars and go practice and then race. We chose a track and car for each weeks race and then its all about seat time. I struggle with seat time so tend to be diving in 11th hour and generally getting in the way a bit (because I bin it). I am getting much better at not binning it but finding it much harder than real racing.

This week (yesterday) which I missed was Spa in the LMP2, week before Le Mans in GTE of choice, next week Bathurst in MX5's with a decent set up.

I've got a few years experience on iRacing. Swapping cars won't help much to be honest, especially with lack of seat time. We did the Sebring 12h a couple months ago, first time I'd raced the LMP2. Even with experience I needed 2-3 hours practise before I felt reasonably comfortable racing it in multi-class.

Man of Honour
Some of the lads in my group are GT3/GTE/LMP2 racers (half the battle) but I do fancy having a nose at other stuff too. It's a time issue, also need to get VR going as single 27 screen is not enough for me really. Can't sight stuff or use laterals etc.

Man of Honour
I've got a few years experience on iRacing. Swapping cars won't help much to be honest, especially with lack of seat time. We did the Sebring 12h a couple months ago, first time I'd raced the LMP2. Even with experience I needed 2-3 hours practise before I felt reasonably comfortable racing it in multi-class.
I detested the LMP2 car, just awful characterless thing.

All good advice people, appreciated.

Soldato
I'll refrain from commenting on which sim is better, I've got no interest in that futile discussion. I'm in it for the community and racing with my mates, and they're on iRacing.

Some of the lads in my group are GT3/GTE/LMP2 racers (half the battle) but I do fancy having a nose at other stuff too. It's a time issue, also need to get VR going as single 27 screen is not enough for me really. Can't sight stuff or use laterals etc.

Ultra-wide or triples does help. Some tracks with he correct FoV set you'll not see the apexes on some corners with a single desktop size screen. CoTA is right pig for it.

I detested the LMP2 car, just awful characterless thing.

I quite enjoyed it. Needed a bit to get my head around it as I tend to race Touring Cars and GT3 primarily. My brain doesn't quite compute the downforce levels at high speeds.

Man of Honour
I tend to get frustrated which doesn't help and my time on the sim usually comes at the end of a long work day, so I am actually often quite tired when I get into the seat and that is a big issue to. I find MX5's I was much better with because I can relate more to their dynamics having raced one, though the base set up is crap. Likewise I settled into the AMG GTR as I drive one and though it was different there are still some common themes. Same will the 911, RSR is hard to pedal at pace but it is like a 911, again something I have actual reference points for.

Soldato
Yeah, frustration won't help. I found similar for the first couple of months when I jumped straight into iRacing with a fiercely competitive private league, after getting an invite from some old Xbox Forza friends. It took a 10 week season of the league for it to click and get my head around it. It was easier from then on and I started really enjoying it. That was 2014...

Back
Top Bottom