Poll: *** The official 2021 iPad Pro thread (it has the M1 chip and everything!) ***

The new M1 iPad Pro - Are you getting one?

• Total voters
Commissario
YRSqdi2.png

Today is the official launch day of the new 2021 iPad Pro with the M1 chip and I realised we don't have a thread for it.

Are you buying/have you bought the new iPad Pro with M1? What size?

Man of Honour
Cancelled my e Buyer purchase and went for a pick up in store today. I'm gambling on Apple having some surprises up their sleeve for the M1 iPad's at WWDC, otherwise it's an expensive "upgrade" from my current Pro :p

Soldato
Cancelled my e Buyer purchase and went for a pick up in store today. I'm gambling on Apple having some surprises up their sleeve for the M1 iPad's at WWDC, otherwise it's an expensive "upgrade" from my current Pro :p

Yes exactly why I chose the 1TB model for the extra RAM. If it turns out to be nothing then back to smallest size next year.

Associate
I've gone for the 256gb 12.9" Pro. I've been toying with the RAM upgrade, but I just don't need it, whichever way I cut it!

Arriving tomorrow with a magic keyboard

Associate
256GB 12.9" Pro (wi-fi) due for delivery today, upgrading from the same spec 2018 model that has served me well.

Hopefully getting approx £550 trade-in from Music Magpie - anyone had any experience with them? Seems to be one of the highest trade-in values available.

Man of Honour
Picking up a 1TB Space Grey 12.9 WiFi/5G Model today at Apple along with a White Magic Keyboard; want to see if the improvements to the camera (Center Stage) and the extra RAM make a difference to my usage; the last one was almost there for me as a full work device; hearing reports that the 16GB RAM means that apps don't refresh as much when you go back to them.

Soldato
The 12.9" (and to a lesser extent the 11") look like really great products, it's just a shame there's no easy way to use all that power. The only way for the iPad line to advance from here is if Apple were brave and made them into a proper laptop alternative.

Man of Honour
I think we'll see some improvements come WWDC, rumblings of the Apple Pro apps hitting the M1 iPad's, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro etc which will be the least they can do. I'm just really hoping for XCode in some format, it would become my main machine at that point

Man of Honour
The 12.9" (and to a lesser extent the 11") look like really great products, it's just a shame there's no easy way to use all that power. The only way for the iPad line to advance from here is if Apple were brave and made them into a proper laptop alternative.

They could do with some improvements in iPadOS; despite the power I know I'll be working around a few things that frankly are just easier on a Windows or Android device (file management for one)

Man of Honour
I think we'll see some improvements come WWDC, rumblings of the Apple Pro apps hitting the M1 iPad's, Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro etc. I'm just really hoping for XCode in some format, it would become my main machine at that point

I'm hoping but there was some "leak" from one of the more accurate leakers (Jon Prosser I think) who has suggested that WWDC is going to see very little for iPad OS this year; personally I think that would be a mistake; at least something like external screen support surely has to be a must

Man of Honour
I'm hoping but there was some "leak" from one of the more accurate leakers (Jon Prosser I think) who has suggested that WWDC is going to see very little for iPad OS this year; personally I think that would be a mistake; at least something like external screen support surely has to be a must

I mean, performance aside, I just do not understand why Apple would incorporate the M1 chips in to the iPads if they don't plan to utilise the benefits that it brings in terms of sharing Mac architecture. It's not like their A chips were struggling to power the previous devices and we know, or pretty sure we know, that the iPhone isn't going to be an M1 chip, so they are still making more powerful A chips. It just baffles me if all they do is fit an M1 then still treat iPadOS like an afterthought

Soldato
I mean, performance aside, I just do not understand why Apple would incorporate the M1 chips in to the iPads if they don't plan to utilise the benefits that it brings in terms of sharing Mac architecture.

I think the consensus is that Apple will do *something* it's just not clear how far they'll go.

Man of Honour
I mean, performance aside, I just do not understand why Apple would incorporate the M1 chips in to the iPads if they don't plan to utilise the benefits that it brings in terms of sharing Mac architecture. It's not like their A chips were struggling to power the previous devices and we know, or pretty sure we know, that the iPhone isn't going to be an M1 chip, so they are still making more powerful A chips. It just baffles me if all they do is fit an M1 then still treat iPadOS like an afterthought

Yeah it makes little sense to put in so much sheer horsepower and then not add anything; I wonder if there's some massive economy of scale by putting the M1 chip in basically everything they make now perhaps...

Soldato
Seriously temped by the 12” as a replacement for my SP3.

The question is to 16gb or not to 16gb. I don’t really need the storage and the upgrade isn’t cheap.

I think WWDC will either sell it to me or it won’t.

Soldato
I ordered a 1GB 12.9” cellular within about 10 minutes of the pre-orders going live, but currently my delivery date is showing as 2nd June :p Not that I’m really in a hurry, but I have a bunch of things I want to do with it, so all this talk of you lot receiving yours is most unfair! :D

Associate
Received 128gb 12.9 pro this morning. Will use it till the 1tb arrives in June.

Is anyone getting a screen protector? Not sure of the Apple Pencil causes micro scratches over time

Back
Top Bottom