When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Don’t tar all BEV users with your simplicity Simon. And yes, if you needed a charge, that would get you a charge. Or you could just do what you do when of petrol/diesel - call the AA and they’ll get you some charge. And I’m sure you know perfectly well the chances of multiple chargers in a 20 mile radius around Didcot all being offline is zero. Just BP Pulse has 26 chargers (5 of them 150kW rapids) within 10 driving miles of Didcot and I genuinely couldn’t count the number if I ticked ‘show all’ on Zap Map.

Ah but that comes down to where you live. I just looked on zap map and there are only 7 charging points within 25 miles of where I live (okay i dont need charging points near to where I live if I have a home charger) but for now in rural areas the charging points seem a bit sparse compared with fuel stations. There are currently 4 petrol stations within 5 miles as a comparison, I suspect it will be be between 30 and 50 within 25 miles. The one charging point locally I drive past always has a car sat on it charging, I have never seen it empty.

For a lot of people EV is ideal but certainly not everybody yet especially people who travel to rural areas. Entering the 25 miles radius round where I live, you would want to ensure you had at least a 50 miles range left on your case, just in case all the 7 available chargers in the area were being used. Case in point Top gear running out of juice within a mile of the only public charger in the area for 10 miles.

Last edited:
Soldato
For a lot of people EV is ideal but certainly not everybody yet. Case in point Top gear running out of juice within a mile of the only public charger in the area for 10 miles.

I have my charger on ZapHome, I am sure more people will do this with time, and I now have one regular user, twice a week. Not ideal if you want a rapid charge, but great if you are destination charging. :)

Soldato
Nice, but it's the purchase/monthly costs that will be the killer for a lot of people. Yes I'd love an electric car, but just couldn't justify the cost, maybe when I retire in around 7 to 14 years time I might but be able to. Obviously they are cheaper second hand, but being in the motor trade I do wonder how well they're going to age.
It's also difficult to justify as you are often trying to justify buying a new car vs. a second hand car. I tried to make the man maths work for changing my 535d GT to a Model S and I couldn't as I would have been paying £20k to get a car 2 years newer which whilst better, was not £20k better IMO.

Where EVs can clean up at the moment (bad pun intended) is with Company Car drivers as the tax rate is so much lower than an ICE car it makes very little sense to buy a combustion car unless you really have to.

Pretty impressive, 12 hours in total including all the charging stops, and not leaving at 100%.

I've done the same journey 5 times in my BMW and best time was 10.5 hours, worst time 14 hours as traffic/accidents are the biggest delay on the route, not stops. I think the fastest time I was also on an economy run so sat at speed limit (up to 130kph on Autobahn) and got 40mpg compared to 32mpg on the previous run (around 12 hours) where I'd been booting it wherever possible.

Caporegime
I have my charger on ZapHome, I am sure more people will do this with time, and I now have one regular user, twice a week. Not ideal if you want a rapid charge, but great if you are destination charging. :)

I presume this is you renting out your home charger and you get paid for it?

Caporegime
Ford "Watch me" by BBDO Germany

weird new ford mache-e tv advert ... maybe their, diversity add, will appeal to some,
it looks nice in red, I like James Brown, but, surprised Ford got a license for the music.

the polestar and id3 adds look tame in comparison.

I think they have done a good job with the mach-e. The current £57k top of the range awd model has a great range and 5s 0-60 time which is nippy enough. And it looks ace in that red.

Soldato
I know its the US market, but the F150 electric just got announced, available next year. From my digging I think Ford were working on the F150 electric first, then they're looking at a Focus sized electric vehicle, be interesting to see the mini mach-e whenever/if that gets announced.

Soldato
Ah but that comes down to where you live. I just looked on zap map and there are only 7 charging points within 25 miles of where I live (okay i dont need charging points near to where I live if I have a home charger) but for now in rural areas the charging points seem a bit sparse compared with fuel stations. There are currently 4 petrol stations within 5 miles as a comparison, I suspect it will be be between 30 and 50 within 25 miles. The one charging point locally I drive past always has a car sat on it charging, I have never seen it empty.

For a lot of people EV is ideal but certainly not everybody yet especially people who travel to rural areas. Entering the 25 miles radius round where I live, you would want to ensure you had at least a 50 miles range left on your case, just in case all the 7 available chargers in the area were being used. Case in point Top gear running out of juice within a mile of the only public charger in the area for 10 miles.

Go somewhere big like the US and the issue is 10x worse. You wouldnt want to risk a desert crossing in one.

Soldato
How is that even remotely relevant to owning an Electric car in the U.K.? Last time I checked people don’t really drive from the U.K. to the USA….

Soldato
I know its the US market, but the F150 electric just got announced,
have they disclosed what the battery size is yet and consequent range/towing capability ... could find that a few pages back, on towing discsussion
edit: thought is was relevant to the UK so all those truck owners could see whats down the line in the eu

article on the mach-e add
https://www.campaignindia.in/video/...agger-to-launch-first-all-electric-suv/469515
- apparently is a women driving the car so less diverse than I suggested.

hadn't appreciated how much money tata had put into jaguar
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) owner Tata Motors has announced a shock quarterly loss of more than $1bn (£700m).
It came as the Indian company wrote off $2.1bn related to its revamp of the UK-based luxury car business
which takes the shine of the notional profit last quarter
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-sales-figures/jaguar-land-rover-posts-£439m-pre-tax-profit-final-quarter-2020
I haven't heard how they will avoid future eu import charges for chinese batteries, Boris should be worryimg about this kinds of thing not australia trade deal

Soldato
have they disclosed what the battery size is yet and consequent range/towing capability ... could find that a few pages back, on towing discsussion

Apparently they haven't disclosed battery pack size. Presumably they have an idea, but are probably waiting to finalise it I'd imagine. There are some places saying, here for example, that they will go with a pouch style with less cobalt use, and guesses put it at 110-150kWh on some sites and other sites say 170kWh ish. Ford also say 230miles standard range and 300 extended range. Ford also say it can carry 2000lbs (900kg ish?) and tow 10,000lbs (4500kg ish?). I bet towing will absolutely destroy the range though.

Soldato
hadn't appreciated how much money tata had put into jaguar
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) owner Tata Motors has announced a shock quarterly loss of more than $1bn (£700m).
It came as the Indian company wrote off $2.1bn related to its revamp of the UK-based luxury car business
which takes the shine of the notional profit last quarter
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry-news-sales-figures/jaguar-land-rover-posts-£439m-pre-tax-profit-final-quarter-2020
I haven't heard how they will avoid future eu import charges for chinese batteries, Boris should be worryimg about this kinds of thing not australia trade deal

I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. The year ended with debt, that does not mean the parents need to dip into their pockets if the business had sufficient cash.

Soldato
I don’t understand the point you are trying to make.
article suggest tata anticipates financial problems following covid, how isolated is Jaguar from the ramifications of that ? afaik jaguar are not yet sharing ev platforms.

Soldato

A "gigafactory" is to be build at Coventry airport, very close to JLR's manufacturing facilities, so that could put them in a good position to source locally.

Caporegime
A "gigafactory" is to be build at Coventry airport, very close to JLR's manufacturing facilities, so that could put them in a good position to source locally.

Is it? its West Midlands preferred site but they havent got an investor yet and the Govt havent backed it yet, it was absent from the last budget and will take 5 years to build

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/technology-news/coventry-gigafactory-plans-revealed

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/theres-race-against-time-coventry-19973875

Even on the last visit by Kwarteng a few weeks ago, he wouldnt commit to the site and just said its one they are looking at.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/n...ss-secretary-says-having-gigafactory-20452372

unless you have some more up to date info?

As Jpaul said, our govt is ignoring this potential disaster to the UK car industry in favour of cheap meat from Australia and we should already be on building gigafactories just like they are doing already all over the EU.

Back
Top Bottom