new build and res/pump positioning issue. Any solutions?

Soldato
So I have embarked on a new build and this time going hardline tubing (all my previous efforts have been softline up to now)

But while positioning things in my new O11 mini, it would seem I under estimated the chonky size of the 3090 FE and it is longer than I expected, meaning the pump/res unit I have will not fit as nicely as I expected. (this was a replacement for a unit that failed recently so was using it as it is a spare currently)

MtcH1Rb.jpg

To give you an idea of the spacing I have available here are a few more shots:

nq6Pi56.jpg

xwZJtLv.jpg

29ITUvh.jpg

So it would seem that I need a bracket to fit this but I need to be able to offset it to the right so that it is basically inline with the holes for fan.

Most of the brackets I have seen seem to have it centred over the middle of the fan and not offset so was wondering if there is something I can do about this or if I am going to have to change the unit to say either one of the FLT products or get a distro plate (I see now why a lot of builds in this case are using AIO's)

My though was maybe get a friend to sort out a 3d printed bracket that would allow me to offset the fitting and give me the space I needed but not sure if it will be strong enough.

As essentially I would need it to fit like this I think:

Ix41rEB.jpg

rbewA1k.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Associate
Not a suggestion you probably want to hear, but at least one option is to get a water block for the 3090 and that will shorten it up.

Soldato
OP
Not exactly what I was hoping for, but totally understand the ideas behind it.

What I have done in the mean time is order the EK Uni Fan mount and am going to see if by bumping the bottom fans up flush to the front of the case and mounting the pump/res to the bottom right fan to see if that gives me enough clearance. (rotating the pump res so it is still facing to the side window but the mounting plate is facing the front, visually won't look great I don't think)

Not an ideal solution but is the least expensive solution right now compared to getting an FE Block (As I have never water cooled a GPU I don't really want to start with a brand new one just in case I mess it up)

My alternative would be get something like the Corsair Hydro X as the mounting solution seems to be ideal with being able to slide the pump/res over the fan and mount it just where I need rather than dead center.
I have even looked at the distro plate but again this seems overkill for just a cpu loop.

Man of Honour
I would make a custom bracket and fix it to the base of the case in front of the fans. You only need something "L" shaped with a couple of holes in the bottom to mount to the case (would need to drill a couple of holes in the base of the case) and four holes in the top for the pump mount. paint it white and it wouldn't stand out. If there is one thing that water cooling my pc over the last 15 or so years has taught me is that you need to be able to adapt, modify or make things so that it all goes together how you want it to.

Associate
the bracket that allows the pump/reservoir to be fitted to the fan allows 4 positions (spider type). You can try with the portion where the mounting holes for the pump are, to the right of the fan.
Failing this, a replacement tube for the reservoir. Will be tiny, require extra attention when filling up, but should work.

Soldato
Lot of trouble
And cost just to cool a CPU
But each to their own
But personally
I would sell the pump/Res
Got same one by the way
And get a distro
Yes it's more money
But make life a lot easier and will
Look great too

Soldato
OP
So a quick update. I decided to go with the distro plate in the end as a solution. (it was one of my options originally but was hoping to avoid the added expense if I could)

After getting the EK bracket it didn't move the original pump/res over enough. So that will be kept as a spare for my other build.

I know this probably seems overkill for just cooling a cpu only at this stage, eventually I will probably cool the gpu and add a 360 rad at the bottom of the case but that is for the future. I'm just waiting for some additional fittings now to make the tube runs a bit easier from the side rad to the distro plate but hopefully should have it all up and running in the next week or so.

Soldato
I think getting the distro
Was a good choice
Could have got the pump/Res in there
I think by removing a top fan
But wouldn't have looked as good
And you clearly care about how it looks
Rather than just cram it in somewhere

Back
Top Bottom