Have your stopped talking to people due to political opinions?

Soldato
Don’t think I could have married a Tory voter particularly one who could support the current government (I don’t vote Labour either) if we were that out of line in our world view it would worry me what we could actual have in common! But then I don’t think I could have married a fan of dance music I like harmony in my life.

I think there's a difference between voting for the Conservatives, and being a Tory. Same for voting Labour and being a card carrying member. I think if neither person is invested in politics (most people aren't, 40% don't vote at all for a start) then you can get away with it.

Myself and my wife both have strong political opinions, with our politics tied up in our ethics\morality. Neither one of us would have married someone with diametrically opposed political views. It just wouldn't work. I am happy to have friends\acquaintances from all across the mainstream political spectrum though.

Soldato
I think there's a difference between voting for the Conservatives, and being a Tory. Same for voting Labour and being a card carrying member. I think if neither person is invested in politics (most people aren't, 40% don't vote at all for a start) then you can get away with it.

Myself and my wife both have strong political opinions, with our politics tied up in our ethics\morality. Neither one of us would have married someone with diametrically opposed political views. It just wouldn't work. I am happy to have friends\acquaintances from all across the mainstream political spectrum though.
That’s probably a much better way of putting it, I have friends and family who vote across the spectrum and I’m happy to have a conversation with any reasonable person about politics but as you say I don’t think my ethics/morality would have made for a very comfortable relationship with a card carrying member of the Tory party our outlooks would have just been too far apart especially under the current government. (Same is almost certainly true for a signed up member of momentum mind) I’m definitely not a fan of the fringes of either side of the debate hence my desire for electoral reform and government via consensus rather than the current fiasco (which ever party is on top at the time!)

Associate
I did stop talking to people based on their extreme political opinions. These were people I studied with and lost contact, my conclusion is always that there was a reason why we drifted apart and lost contact originally.

Soldato
I’m definitely not a fan of the fringes of either side of the debate hence my desire for electoral reform and government via consensus rather than the current fiasco

Same. If you've picked a side to support rather than evaluating each argument on it's merits there's no reasoning to be done.

Soldato
Same. If you've picked a side to support rather than evaluating each argument on it's merits there's no reasoning to be done.
although the mental gymnastics can be quite entertaining, listening to a friend who is a teacher justifying her love of all things Tory even when Gove was education secretary was delightful!

Soldato
I am happy to chat, debate, discuss whatever might come up. I have no real political side, happy to discuss policies directly over "a party" per say. I am completely non religious and have my opinions on it, but at the same time would never put anyone down for their beliefs. I honestly don't care what race, nationality, religion or political side you sit, if you're a tool, you're a tool. If you're not, you're not and I'd happily discuss any of the subjects to learn more about other peoples' perspectives. Falling out over such things is just an utter waste of life.
People get so angry over such little things, I hate seeing it creeping into all aspects of life.

Capodecina
Soldato
People get so angry over such little things, I hate seeing it creeping into all aspects of life.

I know. I'm seeing my dad in a few nights for the first time in over a year. That's a whole year for him to sit indoors and stew about how much he hates the Tories. Can't wait for all that to come out :rolleyes:

Associate
I know. I'm seeing my dad in a few nights for the first time in over a year. That's a whole year for him to sit indoors and stew about how much he hates the Tories. Can't wait for all that to come out :rolleyes:

You should probably get him one of those Lefty Tears mugs to help break the ice :D

Man of Honour
All of the above.

I've blocked one person on FB because they kept spamming anti-vaxx rubbish and unlike them I didn't have 12h a day to watch YT videos... sorry, do "research" to rebut them because I have a job.

Otherwise I've never blocked anyone.

This sounds like the spat between my wife and a distant cousin of mine.
They met at the funeral of the sister of the distant cousin, and exchanged numbers etc.
My wife is on Facebook, but I’m not, always rightly or wrongly imagining that it was essentially for 14 y.o. girls, and my cousin did a “friend request” to my wife, to which my wife agreed.
All apparently was going well until Covid came on the scene, my cousin took it as total non existent BS, and said so, loud and clear at every opportunity, her only concession was that it was most likely to be a heavier cold than usual.
My wife asked how did my cousin explain the rising death toll in the U.S. and Brazil at that time.
This was pooh poohed as complete ‘slang for testicles’ by garbage news sites, and being pushed by Pharma to make money from the mug believers.
Eventually my wife talking about it started to wind me up, so I said, “FFS, can’t you ‘unfriend’ her or something?”
Oh no, that’s not nice, so she started to ignore the cousin, which led to the cousin plaguing me with texts saying, “I don’t think that your wife likes me”, to which I replied, “Gee, d’you think?”
Finally, she seems to have got the message.

Soldato
My wife asked how did my cousin explain the rising death toll in the U.S. and Brazil at that time.

I've been told that the Indian government are attacking their own people with poison gas which is why so many need oxygen and are hospitalised.

Christ on a bike.

Man of Honour
No - the complete opposite.

I now choose not to talk about politics with people.. Politics is an opinion.. opinion is both subjective and personal. That's my personal opinion.

We seem to have become a society heavily obsessed with politics to the point of anger and hatred. It's worrying as at times it feels like a boiling point ... and it's getting rather tiresome and draining tbh. This very forum wasn't as political 15 years ago as it is now which kind of illustrates just how much social media has been used for political springboarding..

Associate
People always ask me if I believe in God, then get extremely offended, yell at and preach to me all day when I answer no.

Then people think I'm broken for actually enjoying living alone with no more friends / family / social contacts.

People are cancer. Also Trump is my God now.

Associate
You should think about writing a book of short stories. You're full of fiction. ;)

Ok seriously do you know how many people have told me this?

So I actually thought I would. I opened a google publisher account and then looked for software.

But what I wanted was an e book software that can make a flip book that I can just write a load of crap in and list on the play store for 99p, but I can't find any free flip book making software!

Back
Top Bottom